Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethan-1878

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
For anybody who's interested:

My (reverted back to stock) Mac mini was ready for collection from the Genius Bar today. Apple admitted that there was a "Hardware fault" with my Mac mini and replaced the logic board FOC since the mini is in warranty.

When asked, they wouldn't give me much more info than that, but if I had to guess I would shoot my shot at the T2 chip being faulty as this explains a few issues I've had with the machine.

I've decided to keep the 8GB RAM for the time being -- if I get a few weeks in and the Mac is running fine but needs the extra RAM, I will consider upgrading again.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
For anybody who's interested:

My (reverted back to stock) Mac mini was ready for collection from the Genius Bar today. Apple admitted that there was a "Hardware fault" with my Mac mini and replaced the logic board FOC since the mini is in warranty.

When asked, they wouldn't give me much more info than that, but if I had to guess I would shoot my shot at the T2 chip being faulty as this explains a few issues I've had with the machine.

I've decided to keep the 8GB RAM for the time being -- if I get a few weeks in and the Mac is running fine but needs the extra RAM, I will consider upgrading again.
It's good to know that Apple was able to solve the problem and take care of it for you. It's hard to say whether the T2 chip was at fault but unfortunately the T2 chip sure seems to be capable of causing all kind of issues on the newer Macs that have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.