Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I had a 16GB M1 Mini for a while and upgraded to a base model Studio Max.

The Max is definitely faster but the Mini did fine dealing with ~30k locally stored images in LightRoom 6.14/with just enough LrC 11 executables to work reliably without all the CC bloodsucking garbage processes.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
Your Lightroom performance is depended on a number of things. Memory available, location of catalogues, location of photos, what you are doing, etc.

When I got my Studio I had enough boot drive space to move all of my Lightroom auxiliary files (catalogues, caches) to my fast boot SSD. This did provide some performance improvements in scrolling through the library (don't do that much editing) but there are still slight delays getting the master files from a (~1000 MB/s) external HD Raid. Right now Lightroom is using ~3.6 GB of memory but vaguely remember much higher numbers.

Think I saw some videos about significant speed improvements on import, but can't find those references right now.

I spec out systems to the maximum I can afford in order to have headroom for future OS/software requirements which are always greater.
interesting, so if you store the library on an external ssd is there a little delay when scrolling through the library quickly? Does this apply with the Apple Photos App library as well?

gradi

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2022
I use an M1 Mac Mini 16gb/512gb ($1099) + tiny external Sandisk 2tb SSD. I use the current Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Topaz Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI and they all run great on it. All are Apple Silicon native programs and they make good use of the GPU and Neural Engine. I have 2 monitors connected to my Mac Mini.

I also have this $24.99 UGreen dongle that has a card reader, extra HDMI, and several extra USB-A ports:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-MacBook-Chromebook-Aluminum/dp/B07RV1ZCWJ

The Lightroom catalog is on the internal SSD and all 120k of my photos are on the external SSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigfatipod

harpster

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
I'm looking at both options now but Studio Max keeps coming up as the winner. I want 2TB SSD so The Mini with 16G RAM and 2TB SSD is around $1700. The Studio Max with 32G RAM and 2TB SSD is $2600. So if you factor in that you are getting faster machine with 16G more RAM ports on front ect., the difference is not enough to just bite the bullet and get the Mac Studio. Plus if you can take advantage of Tax Free weekend it's even better!

The only thing I keep struggling with is the Studio Display and the $400 tilt and lift stand which I would need. I keep researching alternative monitors but still not sure which one I would get over the Studio Display. Maybe the LG 5K or a good 4K 32". For me the monitor is a harder decision than the computer..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.