Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue68camaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2017, I7, 8GB Ram. After upgrade from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4 can not close or minimize any open apps that have opened on startup, able to force quit open apps but can not start any. Unable to open anything in Dock. Only top half visible of dock. Did a command R selected restore to fix. Just FYI.......

Last edited:

blue68camaro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
I edited my initial post. Should have said After upgrade from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4........
MORE INFO: So today I decided to give it another try after updating the Wife's MacBook Air without issues. iMac updated went fine, no issues to report, worked perfect. I suspect somehow the file got corrupted during the download, no other logical explanation IMO.

dmoz

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
Same thing happening for me. In the middle of working it seems to be okay, then randomly(about every minute or so) I'll simply click on a new window/app and nothing happens—I can't click anywhere or on anything. After about 30s everywhere I clicked or everything I did with the mouse happens in a 1/2 second—like it's catching up to itself. Very annoying. Only started happening after updating to 10.14.4. I'm on a brand new MBP 15".

EDIT: It seems the freeze only really happens consistently when I click from any app to Finder and select a file—at least as far as I can tell right now. When do this the preview spinner shows hung/stopped and everything freezes :/ Tried restarting Finder and the Mac. Still happening.

EDIT 2: I restarted again and it seems to be okay so far. No freezes yet. Still odd that it was doing it in the first place.

Last edited:

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Same thing happening for me. In the middle of working it seems to be okay, then randomly(about every minute or so) I'll simply click on a new window/app and nothing happens—I can't click anywhere or on anything. After about 30s everywhere I clicked or everything I did with the mouse happens in a 1/2 second—like it's catching up to itself. Very annoying. Only started happening after updating to 10.14.4. I'm on a brand new MBP 15".

EDIT: It seems the freeze only really happens consistently when I click from any app to Finder and select a file—at least as far as I can tell right now. When do this the preview spinner shows hung/stopped and everything freezes :/ Tried restarting Finder and the Mac. Still happening.

EDIT 2: I restarted again and it seems to be okay so far. No freezes yet. Still odd that it was doing it in the first place.

I rebooted and so far, so good for me.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
I have similar issue on MBP 15 inch, 2017. In my case 10.14.4 becomes unresponsive = slow to activate other app windows after sleeping while attached to external monitors (one 4K and one 2k) and docking station with TM disk. Once app is activated (slow), its windows behave marginally OK, still slow, but usable. But keyboard response (typing) is slow also, so not useful. Interestingly, mouse movements are as fast as ever.
Reboot fixes it. Sleep with no external devices (monitor, dock, disks) attached and lid closed is fine, overnight or simply between work and home. But 60+ minutes sleep on desk with Lid opened and all cables/devices attached, and it becomes impossible to switch between apps. Disconnecting the 4K monitor hangs computer completely, resulting in hard reboot. No solution yet. Reported to Apple as bug, it was not in 10.14.3.
If anyone has similar issue and some insight, please, share.

Reactions: rtrueman

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My 2017 12" MB freezes when it wakes from sleep and I immediately hit the finder icon. Only then. Really bizarre.

yang360

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
I have similar issue on MBP 15 inch, 2017. In my case 10.14.4 becomes unresponsive = slow to activate other app windows after sleeping while attached to external monitors (one 4K and one 2k) and docking station with TM disk. Once app is activated (slow), its windows behave marginally OK, still slow, but usable. But keyboard response (typing) is slow also, so not useful. Interestingly, mouse movements are as fast as ever.
Reboot fixes it. Sleep with no external devices (monitor, dock, disks) attached and lid closed is fine, overnight or simply between work and home. But 60+ minutes sleep on desk with Lid opened and all cables/devices attached, and it becomes impossible to switch between apps. Disconnecting the 4K monitor hangs computer completely, resulting in hard reboot. No solution yet. Reported to Apple as bug, it was not in 10.14.3.

I have the exact same issue. When i wake my 2018 MBP from sleep, with my LG 5k monitor attached, moving windows, typing text, and opening apps lags hard, but the mouse cursor appears to work fine. I have to restart to fix it. One thing i notice is that when this happens, iStat Menu reports the AMD GPU core and memory to be 0 -- dont know if this has anything to do with it.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
I have the exact same issue. When i wake my 2018 MBP from sleep, with my LG 5k monitor attached, moving windows, typing text, and opening apps lags hard, but the mouse cursor appears to work fine. I have to restart to fix it. One thing i notice is that when this happens, iStat Menu reports the AMD GPU core and memory to be 0 -- dont know if this has anything to do with it.
I have interesting observation : I have two setups which are quite similar. In one case I have 4k monitor and MBP with internal display. In this case I have no problems. In second case I have 4k monitor, external 2k monitor and internal display. In this case I have problems. 4k monitors are the same. After disconnecting the 2k monitor before sleep from the second setup, the problem DID NOT occur today. May be the issue is related to number of pixels for the system?

rtrueman

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009

Same issue here with a Belkin Thunderbolt dock and two external monitors (1920x1080) and the laptop display as a third. Always happens after a longer sleep (30 - 45 minutes). I come back and the 2017 MacBook Pro "pauses" then catches up exactly as Honza1 describes.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Same issue here with a Belkin Thunderbolt dock and two external monitors (1920x1080) and the laptop display as a third. Always happens after a longer sleep (30 - 45 minutes). I come back and the 2017 MacBook Pro "pauses" then catches up exactly as Honza1 describes.
Hm, I have Kensington Thunderbolt 3 SD5000T dock on the setup, where this problem happens. May be it is something related to the dock? My other setup has no dock.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Hm, I have Kensington Thunderbolt 3 SD5000T dock on the setup, where this problem happens. May be it is something related to the dock? My other setup has no dock.
I have identified this to be related to my docking stations. When I connect same devices via usb-c cables or dongles directly, without docking station, my computer sleeps well and does not to wake with the slowness and freezing.
Actually, with the docking station and after sleep (=when freezing and generally slow to respond) if I disconnect any usb-c device from my MBP, it hangs and needs hard reboot. When in this slow situation the best way is shut down or reboot.
Different docking stations seem to have somehow different impact. My Kensington DS500T produces visibly slower system and more freezing, than my Tripplite U442 docking station. Both slow down the system and cause freezing, but in different level.
At this time I can operate normally when I do not use my docking stations. It's just more work to plug in 4 usb-c cables instead of one or two.

Pfenya

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
I'm seeing the same issue but with the Elgato TB3 dock

allanmulwee

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
I've seen this issue with previous versions of Mojave. Something happens on the install that causes the machine to be lethargic and crappy overall. The only fix I have found is to reinstall. Lately I have been imaging the OS as to avoid issues on installations or updates.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Just updated from 10.14.1. to 10.14.4 on 2018 MBP 15" and I'm now seeing 10-45 second delays on simple OS tasks like opening Launchpad, System Preferences, etc.

Activity Monitor shows nothing consuming unusual CPU or Memory under All Processes. Submitted bug report to Apple.

Really sucks to have a work machine be rendered a slug. Only reason I updated is because of Xcode update requirement for building to iOS devices on 12.2.

rtrueman

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Just updated from 10.14.1. to 10.14.4 on 2018 MBP 15" and I'm now seeing 10-45 second delays on simple OS tasks like opening Launchpad, System Preferences, etc.

Activity Monitor shows nothing consuming unusual CPU or Memory under All Processes. Submitted bug report to Apple.

Really sucks to have a work machine be rendered a slug. Only reason I updated is because of Xcode update requirement for building to iOS devices on 12.2.

Are you using a docking station? If so, does this occur when you're not connected to the dock? Thanks!

yang360

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019

Just want to add that I use a Caldigit thunderbolt docking station in my setup.

rtrueman

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Unfortunately, 10.14.5 didn't fix the problem and Belkin's technical support is terrible. Did anyone have any luck with this issue?

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
In my case I use the HyperDrive USB-C hub to connect an external display (LG 5K), and I haven't been using it lately, so I have not experienced any issues. So, in this case, I can't really offer any help. I'm sure it's a macOS problem though, not a 3rd party's.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Unfortunately, 10.14.5 didn't fix the problem and Belkin's technical support is terrible. Did anyone have any luck with this issue?

Still problem after 10.14.5 update. They did not fix it even though they closed my prior report as "duplicate of ....". I assumed that if it is known issue they will fix it - it was not there in prior 10.14.x versions. Too much to ask, I guess.

I reported it as new issue to bug report.

In my case I "improved" my life by setting the time for sleep manually using pmset command. I set the computer sleep to 240 minutes while screen sleeps much earlier. By default these times are the same. This way my computer does not fall asleep during work day and so it does not hang on wake. But it is stupid workaround.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
What the f---------. So USB-C docks are causing a lot of these problems. We wouldn't need USB-C docks if Apple didn't force us to use them in the first f------- place with their USB-C only ports.

How widespread is this issue of freezing when using docks?? @#$%^&*(OP){

At this rate, I'll never update to anything above 10.12.6. DAMNED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.