Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
What the f---------. So USB-C docks are causing a lot of these problems. We wouldn't need USB-C docks if Apple didn't force us to use them in the first f------- place with their USB-C only ports.
How widespread is this issue of freezing when using docks?? @#$%^&*(OP){

I do not know. I assume it does not happen to everyone?
In my case computer has problems waking from sleep after long enough time that system was really sleeping - when connected to the dock. I have NO problems running with docks, if the system has not been sleeping and only had only powered off display. So, most people may never figure out they have problem, if they have long enough period to sleep (or disabled sleep altogether). Also, my system has no issues waking up from sleep when NOT connected to usb-c dock.

I have two different manufacturer docks (work one ~2 years old which was quite expensive and home new Tripp Lite, on cheaper side) and it happens with both.

It is not clear what causes this - I connect 4k monitor directly through one of the other USB-C ports, so my docks support USB drives, keyboard, ethernet dongle etc. AND I use both for power, they have their own bricks.

If I use unpowered dongles and direct cables, running the same hardware works fine without any issues.

This was new in 10.14.4 and now in 10.14.5. Seems like something does not wake up right, but that is pretty simplistic statement.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
I do not know. I assume it does not happen to everyone?
In my case computer has problems waking from sleep after long enough time that system was really sleeping - when connected to the dock. I have NO problems running with docks, if the system has not been sleeping and only had only powered off display. So, most people may never figure out they have problem, if they have long enough period to sleep (or disabled sleep altogether). Also, my system has no issues waking up from sleep when NOT connected to usb-c dock.

I have two different manufacturer docks (work one ~2 years old which was quite expensive and home new Tripp Lite, on cheaper side) and it happens with both.

It is not clear what causes this - I connect 4k monitor directly through one of the other USB-C ports, so my docks support USB drives, keyboard, ethernet dongle etc. AND I use both for power, they have their own bricks.

If I use unpowered dongles and direct cables, running the same hardware works fine without any issues.

This was new in 10.14.4 and now in 10.14.5. Seems like something does not wake up right, but that is pretty simplistic statement.

My 2016 MacBook Pro and Satechi USB-C dock that has something plugged into every port work great on 10.12.6, except the laptop sometimes falls asleep and sometimes (most of the time) doesn't. Not a big deal, but if I were in an environment where security was more of an issue, I'd have to do something about it.

I don't have the Lock Screen menu item that started with High Sierra. Anyone know a Terminal command to make it lock on Sierra??

What is a much bigger deal are the problems that a lot of you guys on Mojave seem to have with having to force shutdown the computer because of USB-C docks or the damn thing taking forever to open apps after coming back to a sleeping MacBook Pro with Mojave, etc., etc. That would have already caused me a mild heart attack.

I keep postponing upgrading to Mojave even though I really really want to, but then I see these threads and decide against it.

Apple doesn't seem to care much at all, frankly. I suspect it's because they don't have to. Macs are a small part of their business and they don't have to be great anymore. In fact, I think Apple uses us as guinea pigs a lot of the time simply because they can.

Not to mention making only iPhones that even people with very large hands cannot handle with one hand, which is a key ingredient for me. I must have a phone I can use with one hand. Apple no longer makes that, unless I want to get an iPhone 8. Which I don't.

Reactions: madrich

Pfenya

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
I got an answer on my radar last night and sharing this here:

Engineering has provided the following feedback regarding this issue:

If the issue is still occurring, let’s please try quitting, disabling, or uninstalling the Logitech Options Daemon, as this process appears to have a window leak that is causing performance issues.

If the issue continues to persist, please enable tailspin by opening Terminal.app (Path: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and running the following command:

tailspin enable

Then, reproduce the issue and capture a sysdiagnose (Cmd+Option+Ctrl+Shift+.) immediately after reproducing the issue. Once complete, please disable tailspin with

tailspin disable

…from Terminal.app. Thanks!

I've uninstalled Logitech Daemon and will use USB Overdrive for the moment to see if it helps

yang360

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
I did a combo update from 10.14.3 to 10.14.5 and the issue presented itself again after 24 hours with the new update. I reverted back to 10.14.3, which has never given me an issue with sleep and wake up while attached to my dock. Sigh

Reactions: jeyf and ZZ Bottom

Pfenya

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
I got an answer on my radar last night and sharing this here:

I've uninstalled Logitech Daemon and will use USB Overdrive for the moment to see if it helps
Update on this: It doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. I've followed the instructions and updated my ticket with Apple.

edw0rd

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2019
Update on this: It doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. I've followed the instructions and updated my ticket with Apple.
I was having similar issues deleted com.apple.quicklook.helper in the ~Library/Containers folder rebooted

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I was having similar issues deleted com.apple.quicklook.helper in the ~Library/Containers folder rebooted

Can you confirm the exact folder you deleted? I see two:

com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper
com.apple.quicklook.QuickLookUIService

Also, where did you find this tip? I don't find it hard to believe since Quicklook tends to be massively laggy when the issues arise, and sometimes seems like it's the first appearance of slowness after a reboot.

Reactions: jeyf

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i have a early 2017 MBP and a Mid 2016 iMac
just updated to Mojave on the MBP
clean wipe 10.14.5 install in the iMac

both units have the same issue

apple has a bug.

samsiciliano

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2019
Just a note I have also had the same issue with my Thunderbolt 3 OWC dock at work. At home I have a Belkins Thunderbolt 2 dock, with a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 to converter... allowing to switch between my new work laptop and my older personal laptop at the same docking station. The issues isn't there when using the converter and the Thunderbolt 2 dock. So as a lame work around until this is fixed, one could try dusting off the old Thunderbolt 2 dock and getting an adapter.

IronManFanatic

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2014
Sydney, AU
My 2016 MacBook Pro and Satechi USB-C dock that has something plugged into every port work great on 10.12.6, except the laptop sometimes falls asleep and sometimes (most of the time) doesn't. Not a big deal, but if I were in an environment where security was more of an issue, I'd have to do something about it.

I don't have the Lock Screen menu item that started with High Sierra. Anyone know a Terminal command to make it lock on Sierra??

What is a much bigger deal are the problems that a lot of you guys on Mojave seem to have with having to force shutdown the computer because of USB-C docks or the damn thing taking forever to open apps after coming back to a sleeping MacBook Pro with Mojave, etc., etc. That would have already caused me a mild heart attack.

I keep postponing upgrading to Mojave even though I really really want to, but then I see these threads and decide against it.

Apple doesn't seem to care much at all, frankly. I suspect it's because they don't have to. Macs are a small part of their business and they don't have to be great anymore. In fact, I think Apple uses us as guinea pigs a lot of the time simply because they can.

Not to mention making only iPhones that even people with very large hands cannot handle with one hand, which is a key ingredient for me. I must have a phone I can use with one hand. Apple no longer makes that, unless I want to get an iPhone 8. Which I don't.

I don't think it's a dock issue. I used to think it may have been my Dell's 4k display Apple bug issue, but it seems to happen without being connected to an external display too. Been battling with this issue for 3 months since I updated to macOS Mojave 10.14.5. Although some are reporting this bug started in 10.14.4. I don't trust updates any more. Even getting update issues on Huawei P10 & iPhone 6s.

Updated to 10.14.6 and got a random system wide freeze/hang yesterday again for the 10th time. Didn't freeze up for like 2-3 weeks though which was a bit irregular. I performed a system restart just a day ago too. Incredibly frustrating. I don't feel at all assured using my Mac any more. Contacted Apple support twice too. They recommended to reinstall macOS but I don't think it's that/ Could be a third party issue or Apple bug.

Submitted another bug report to Apple, this time to the right area/team.

cOlzHty.png

Last edited:

OneExedJoe

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2019
I have similar issue on MBP 15 inch, 2017. In my case 10.14.4 becomes unresponsive = slow to activate other app windows after sleeping while attached to external monitors (one 4K and one 2k) and docking station with TM disk. Once app is activated (slow), its windows behave marginally OK, still slow, but usable. But keyboard response (typing) is slow also, so not useful. Interestingly, mouse movements are as fast as ever.
Reboot fixes it. Sleep with no external devices (monitor, dock, disks) attached and lid closed is fine, overnight or simply between work and home. But 60+ minutes sleep on desk with Lid opened and all cables/devices attached, and it becomes impossible to switch between apps. Disconnecting the 4K monitor hangs computer completely, resulting in hard reboot. No solution yet. Reported to Apple as bug, it was not in 10.14.3.
If anyone has similar issue and some insight, please, share.

I have the same problem: I used my imac with a second monitor and many USB-devices. Everything was ok. I had to move the computer in an other room in may, allways ok. In june, could I move back the imac in the first room: since then, the screen freezes... ???

Last edited:

OneExedJoe

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2019
...I performed a system restart just a day ago too. Incredibly frustrating. I don't feel at all assured using my Mac any more. Contacted Apple support twice too. They recommended to reinstall macOS but I don't think it's that/ Could be a third party issue or Apple bug.
I did reinstall too. Didn't change anything at all: I can work with my imac few minutes and then... everything freeze... I feel so like you: frustrated and angry: I can't work with it anymore. And as I try to use the support, someone told me the imac is no more guaranteed, I have to send it to a agreed repair service.
I don't think, that it as to be repair, I really think it's a bug...

Reactions: IronManFanatic

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
Argh, I'm having this problem too. I have a 2014 Mini running 10.14.6 in a rack as my home server. For awhile it was rebooting itself during a weekly drive copy. Then it started freezing one process at a time and required a power cycle to start over. I eventually found out that I was having maxfiles issues.

Apple has a soft limit of 256 files per app, but an unlimited hard limit. A single iTunes iOS wifi sync was opening over 3000 files. SuperDuper! was opening 1200+ files during my weekly drive copy. The computer can handle all the open files art once, but when the limit gets pushed the OS gets cranky and stops working. I temporarily set the maxfiles limit to 10,000,000 for both the soft and hard limit and didn't have any issues for awhile. Last weekend I needed to reboot the computer for a totally unrelated reason and my temporary fix was reset. Things were ok until the weekly copy start last night.

Oh Boy, it's SO much worse now. I get about 2-3 minutes of useable time from the machine before it totally freezes and the only thing I can do is move the mouse. That's not enough time to make any meaningful changes or troubleshoot. It's so incredibly frustrating. Tonight I erased the drive and am restoring from yesterdays most recent Time Machine backup. I hope after the restore is complete it'll stay running long enough to do the permanent maxfiles change. Hopefully the stupidly low default setting is the cause of these issues.

Kwun Yeung

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2020
I have the same issue on my 2016 MBP running Catalina. The dock is doing ok if I only plugin keyboard and mouse. It freezes every time if I plug any audio devices. Anyone have a solution with the dock? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.