Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

METOO999

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
well, that was easy! installed and working well on a mac mini 1,1 upgraded with a T7200, 2gb ram, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

what i did...

1. bought and downloaded the retail 10.7 from the app store (11A511)

2. saved the image to an 8gb usb drive...

best of luck to all the 1,1 upgraders!

Wow, thanks! I'm going to try this on my white CD Macbook. Luckily my black C2D Macbook will help out. ;-)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
How do you suggest I go about getting it legally if apple won't allow me to download it?

Find a friend that has a supported Mac, login into their Mac App Store with your Apple ID, download the Lion app, copy the installer to a portable media, use it for your own uses.

Ollie4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Creating a Lion virtual machine and cloning the virtual drive worked for me.

Can you give me step by step instructions on how to do this? I have a legal copy of VMware Fusion, and I will download a legal copy of Lion somehow. What do I do now?

Thanks

Last edited:

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
well, that was easy! installed and working well on a mac mini 1,1 upgraded with a T7200, 2gb ram, etc.

what i did...

2. saved the image to an 8gb usb drive

3. installed 10.7 on an known supported device (MBP 2,2) on an external drive.

4. modified the installed 10.7 on the external drive by removing /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

5. took the external drive and booted the mini, used superduper to image the internal drive, and it works! apps all work, app store, software update, everything. even with the sucky 950 all the animations and eye candy work, no noticeable lag.

This worked for me. Thanks!

METOO999

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007

what i did...

2. saved the image to an 8gb usb drive

3. installed 10.7 on an known supported device (MBP 2,2) on an external drive.

4. modified the installed 10.7 on the external drive by removing /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

5. took the external drive and booted the mini, used superduper to image the internal drive, and it works! apps all work, app store, software update, everything. even with the sucky 950 all the animations and eye candy work, no noticeable lag.

Just to clarify some steps. I installed Lion onto a blank external USB through my C2D Mac. Then I deleted the plist file and used SuperDuper to make a read-only DMG of the external system and copied that to the USB drive.

So my next steps are to boot up with a Lion DVD and format the Core Duo Mac internal drive. Then I restore the DMG to the internal. Is that right?

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Wow, thanks! I'm going to try this on my white CD Macbook. Luckily my black C2D Macbook will help out. ;-)

Unless you've replaced the CD in your MacBook with a C2D, I don't think it's gonna work. As far as I know, all core services are 64bit only, and CD is 32bit, so won't run Lion.

sw1002

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
how to copy to internal drive?

Just to clarify some steps. I installed Lion onto a blank external USB through my C2D Mac. Then I deleted the plist file and used SuperDuper to make a read-only DMG of the external system and copied that to the USB drive.

So my next steps are to boot up with a Lion DVD and format the Core Duo Mac internal drive. Then I restore the DMG to the internal. Is that right?

hi i followed also 4JNA steps but i´m stuck with how to get the external drive content back to the internal.

Do I just have to user SUperduper with the copy command?
When I used SuperDuper with the "COPY" option, but Super Duper did not wipe the disk, it only replaced system files and the internal doesnt boot now at all. Super Duper did not create the Recovery Partition also?
PLZ help! and send maybe a detailed how-to....
How Can I make super duper to copy it 1:1, also creating the restore partition.
or in that way that user files and programms will be preserved and the system gets updated=

shrx

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
AirDrop

Can anyone confirm if you can also get AirDrop on unsupported computers with this method?

official AirDrop requirements:
MacBookPro (Late 2008 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)
iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)

I have early 2008 mbp and I'm interested if there is a way to get AirDrop to work.

METOO999

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Unless you've replaced the CD in your MacBook with a C2D, I don't think it's gonna work. As far as I know, all core services are 64bit only, and CD is 32bit, so won't run Lion.

That'll teach me not to read forums past 2am! ;)

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
hi i followed also 4JNA steps but i´m stuck with how to get the external drive content back to the internal.

Do I just have to user SUperduper with the copy command?
When I used SuperDuper with the "COPY" option, but Super Duper did not wipe the disk, it only replaced system files and the internal doesnt boot now at all. Super Duper did not create the Recovery Partition also?
PLZ help! and send maybe a detailed how-to....
How Can I make super duper to copy it 1:1, also creating the restore partition.
or in that way that user files and programms will be preserved and the system gets updated=

After you modify/edit the plist, Boot from the external drive on your unsupported Mac. On superduper, choose to copy from the external drive to the internal and select the option "backup - all files." Once you click "Copy Now," a warning should pop up that says it will completely format the internal drive; click to proceed. One of the first steps in the copy process should be that it formats the internal drive and it will completely copy the drive over.

I have the same question though about the recovery drive. This is not on my machine. I don't think I'd ever use it, but it would be nice to have the option...anybody else know how to get that copied over?

ethermcman

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Hi all!
I've succesfully installed Mac OS X Lion GM on a Mac Mini 1,1 with T7200 and 2 Gb of ram.
What I've done and what I've used:
- a bootable USB stick with Lion GM
- a supported mac system to install Lion GM
- a firewire wire

1) Boot up your mac mini in Target Mode
2) Link it with your supported Mac
3) Boot up your supported Mac with your USB stick
4) Complete the lion installation on the firewire disk (the mac mini disk)
5) Wait about 45 min
6) The installation reboots your system
7) Boot with your supported mac on firewire targeted disk
8) Delete /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
9) Halt your supported Mac
10) Halt your mac mini
11) Power on and enjoy ;)

System fully working and this process seems for me easier than the USB disk and cloning trick.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2011-07-24 à 16.39.44.png
    Capture d’écran 2011-07-24 à 16.39.44.png
    57 KB · Views: 284

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
How is the performance considering that the max ram that these systems can physically run is the absolute minimum recommended for Lion?

I had updated my cpu in my mac mini a while back in anticipation of future upgrades being 64bit only, but seeing how much memory Safari sucks up on my other Macs I am not sure the upgrade is worth it.

[EDIT] Tried it by the method shown on the macmini123 forums and by the poster above, except I just used the downloaded installer to upgrade my Mac Mini over FW rather than bother with creating a bootable usb pen. Took a little longer than installing directly, but not a single problem en route - absolutely painless and all my files and settings were retained.

Remains to be seen what checks the point upgrades will make before installing, if any, but there will probably be a similar bypass method of installing those, too, if they play up.

Only downside - no AirDrop, although my wifi card is a compatible genuine Apple broadcom card.

Last edited:

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
What is the performance of Mac Mini 1.1 under Lion?
I have 2Gb RAM, and old Kingston SSD inside. I am using it to play movies from NAS, and EyeTV ?
Is it faster then Snow Leo ?

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
Target mode IS WORKING!
You have to delete it (/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist) booting from another computer and mac mini 1,1 in target mode, then the catalog and file can be seen. :)

Last edited:

Paradoxpm

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
still no luck for a finder alternative for the original core solo/duo? (I guess you can't upgrade an early 2006 macbook).

stevepunkrock

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Anyone tried installing Lion on a Core2Duo machine, copying that installation on a machine running a Core Duo, and then booting the computer by pressing 3 and 2 for forcing Lion in 32 Bits Mode?

Paradoxpm

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Anyone tried installing Lion on a Core2Duo machine, copying that installation on a machine running a Core Duo, and then booting the computer by pressing 3 and 2 for forcing Lion in 32 Bits Mode?

Doubtful about it. How's that? Did anybody try?

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Ok, I bit the bullet and ran software update/upgraded to 10.7.1 on my mini.

My upgraded machine:
Model: Mac Mini 1,1
CPU: Upgraded to a T7200 core 2 duo
Ram: Upgraded to Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) Ram model CT2KIT12864AC667
SSD: Intel 320 Series 120 GB SSDSA2CW120G3K5

The machine booted up perfectly. This is a secondary machine so all I did was open up firefox and verified Wi-Fi worked. There could be glitches in other areas of the OS, but most importantly it booted up properly.

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
10.7.1 update worked fine without any need to mess with anything on my T7400 upgraded Core Solo mini.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Weird - My macmini1,1 w/T7200 tells me that software is up to date. Need to find the .dmg file and try that.

Update: DMG doesn't work either. Doesn't look like it is a mini specific issue. Says "Mac OS X Update can't be installed on this disk. An error occurred while evaluating JavaScript for the package." Strange as this is a fresh install of Lion as of last week.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.