Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecrevis

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
can someone please tell me how to remove the PlatformSupport.plist file? The file is not in snow leopard in that directory!!! I have even shown hidden files in finder...I have installed the lion dmg file onto a usb drive....so what next? The file "PlatformSupport.plist" is not on my 2007 white macbook anywhere... sorry im a real noob

Last edited:

thecrevis

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
its on the installer file directory. you have to view with hidden files shown as you have or use the Terminal.

Brilliant i found it and deleted the file. Thank you. However i am still getting the same error message that Lion won't install on my computer. Any ideas?

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
thecrevis - best option is to install it on a C2D and move the drive to your machine

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
If you install on C2D then move the drive, you still have to remove PlatformSupport.plist from the newly installed drive or else it will refuse to boot on the CD machine.

Also, for the record, I booted from a prepped Lion USB stick (with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist removed) on my upgraded mini (originally a Core Solo) to do a clean install. I did not run the installer from Snow Leopard.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
If you install on C2D then move the drive, you still have to remove PlatformSupport.plist from the newly installed drive or else it will refuse to boot on the CD machine.

Also, for the record, I booted from a prepped Lion USB stick (with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist removed) on my upgraded mini (originally a Core Solo) to do a clean install. I did not run the installer from Snow Leopard.

You can also find the board-id via

Code:
ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id

and then add it to PlatformSupport.plist with Apples Property List Editor:

Code:
sudo /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property\ List\ Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/Property\ List\ Editor

;)

Casey01

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Wisconsin
How big is OSX Lion because I want to run it via Flash Drive or CD. But if I do will it do anything to my current Hard Drive? Will it delete files, or mess up anything?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
so do you need a supported Mac to do this? to complete the install, as the installer while in OS X just extracts packages to disk and then boots into an image to complete the install, and then remove the plist? i cant get the booted installer to install when removing the plist either.

i only have a Core Duo Mac. anyone done this on just an unsupported Mac?

joeexp22

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
so do you need a supported Mac to do this? to complete the install, as the installer while in OS X just extracts packages to disk and then boots into an image to complete the install, and then remove the plist? i cant get the booted installer to install when removing the plist either.

i only have a Core Duo Mac. anyone done this on just an unsupported Mac?

Get hold of a LION VMWare disk image > mount this image > then copy disk to USB stick etc ...
Don't forget to edit/delete PlatformSupport.plist

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
tried that of course "i cant get the booted installer to install when removing the plist either". i removed the plist, booted into the installer and it says it cant be installed on this unsupported Mac :(

joeexp22

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
tried that of course "i cant get the booted installer to install when removing the plist either". i removed the plist, booted into the installer and it says it cant be installed on this unsupported Mac :(

You won't be able to install it on a Core Duo nor run it in VMware! However you can boot Lion from an USB stick. The VMware disk images floating around have the system installed already. So all you need is to copy the VMWare Image to an USB stick (Disk Utility > Restore ) and deal with PlatformSupport.plist.
And you won't have the "Four Finger Multitouch" on Older Macbook Pros which is kind of good to have in LION :-(

Last edited:

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
You won't be able to install it on a Core Duo! However you can run Lion. The VMware disk images floating around have the system installed already. So all you need is to deal with PlatformSupport.plist.

It does run on a Core Duo, thats what I'm currently using. However it won't run in VMware - the Core Duo does not support the generation of VTx that OS X on VMware requires. Get your facts right...

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
So does this somehow indicate lion might be dropping 32 bit support for retail also? Or is this just developer and final version might be 32 bit also and not just limited to 2 duo and 64 bits?

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
That Lion requires a Core 2 Duo is listed in the "known issues" section of the seed notes.
If that's a known issue, it should be fixed before release. :rolleyes:

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Yes but eventually 32 bit has to be outdated. Everyone has to move on to 64 bit.

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Yes but eventually 32 bit has to be outdated. Everyone has to move on to 64 bit.

Sure but why does that have to be with lion? ;)

There's not much software that gets a big benefits from 64bit. In fact there is a school of thought that says 32bit can be faster under certain circumstances.

OT: I need to try a clean install of Snow against lion to see if there is a spppeed increase.

kioshi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Brazil
So does this somehow indicate lion might be dropping 32 bit support for retail also? Or is this just developer and final version might be 32 bit also and not just limited to 2 duo and 64 bits?

I think there's a tendency to move to 64-bit. For example, I saw a program, a simple photo uploader for facebook/etc with a very pretty interface, but not supported by 32-bit macs, I tried, no go, then I saw in the macupdate page it required 64-bit. I don't remember the name but it may be a tendency.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Please help -- Rosetta functionality is a must. Around here, we rely on AppleWorks for 95% of our stuff, most of our legal documents and client files are in AppleWorks, if we upgrade to Lion, AppleWorks will not even RUN!!! Hello, Apple?!?!?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
But the average Mac user will never know about this because they will never edit/alter/remove such .plist files. Interesting to know it is possible, though.
You're new hear aren't you? I'm sure a lot of people know how to hack around a Tiger install to get 10.4 working on their machines without a firewire drive.

This is great for tweakers, but I'd expect the Lion experience to not be optimal on those machines. How does it feel on the Core Duo iMac?

The kernel I can understand, but why is everything else still being compiled in 32bit as well as 64bit? Lion 11a390 may be the last hurrah for Core Duos, I bet retail definitely wont run :-(

I'd actually be shocked if it doesn't run on 32 bit hardware. See, the original core duo macs, and the 2nd generation core 2 duo macs, have identical hardware, sans the CPU. To make a Core 2 Duo model from late 2006 work reliably with Lion means that the system is still 32 bit (the first C2D models have a 32bit FSB), and since there's no other hardware differences, the original Core Duo macs should run just fine.

Once the 2nd gen intel macs aren't supported - the ATI x1600 graphics card for example - I wouldn't expect the older core duo models to work either, unless Apple never removes the old driver support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.