Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvollant

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
On my MacMini1,1 upgraded with Core 2 Duo, I made a Lion GM install using firewire target mode.

When I boot with verbose option, I can read:
boot file path: \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!
Reason: Mac-F4208EC8

Pehaps the solution is patching the boot.efi file (or replace by boot.efi from DP1, but I don't found place to get it)

rom828

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
Have you tried this?

On my MacMini1,1 upgraded with Core 2 Duo, I made a Lion GM install using firewire target mode.

Pehaps the solution is patching the boot.efi file (or replace by boot.efi from DP1, but I don't found place to get it)
Have you tried modifying the PlatformSupport.plist? adding the '<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>' to the list?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

That's one of the places that contains the list of supported logicboard IDs. Modifying this list is going to be difficult. There is currently no solution.

Have you tried modifying the PlatformSupport.plist? adding the '<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>' to the list?

That hack only works on the first developer preview.

gvollant

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
using the boot.efi from DP1 will not solves ?
if anyone can give a link to a copy of boot.efi from DP1, I'll be happy trying

dgozalie

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
macmini

hallo,

i got macmini core solo upgrade into core2duo... i cannot install the lion and i did edit and add "Mac-F4208EC8" into InstallableMachines.plist, PlatformSupport.plist and still cannot install it...

can anybody help... i am dying to install it to my mac mini and yes, i already using 10.6.8

after that, my mbp core duo waiting to be installed if possible at all....

Donny

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
using the boot.efi from DP1 will not solves ?
if anyone can give a link to a copy of boot.efi from DP1, I'll be happy trying

Using the boot.efi from DP1 doesn't work. It causes the system to not start until the proper boot.efi is installed.

hallo,

i got macmini core solo upgrade into core2duo... i cannot install the lion and i did edit and add "Mac-F4208EC8" into InstallableMachines.plist, PlatformSupport.plist and still cannot install it...

can anybody help... i am dying to install it to my mac mini and yes, i already using 10.6.8

after that, my mbp core duo waiting to be installed if possible at all....

Donny

Read my last few posts.

andreas.b

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2005
That's one of the places that contains the list of supported logicboard IDs. Modifying this list is going to be difficult. There is currently no solution.

Have you tried replacing mach_kernel, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from DP1?

This link suggests that works for DP4, maybe it would work with GM too.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/11/run-lion-dp4-core-duo-mac/

I would try it, but I don't have the DP1 files.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Have you tried replacing mach_kernel, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from DP1?

That may work, but it'd be unstable and probably stop working with the release of 10.7.1.

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
That's very much a possibility, especially since Apple tends to lock out older systems as an incentive to upgrade to new hardware.

That's simply not true. As an example getting 64-bit Windows Apple drivers installed on a Mac Pro 1.1 is simply a matter of running the installer from the command line.

No hard lock out at all.

When Apple still sold explicit 'upgrade' versions of OSX (today it's implicit that they are all upgrades) you could still install it as a full copy with what amounted to a text file edit.

I've given several examples to prove you're hopelessly wrong- care to provide that proves you are right- i.e. a case where some software could have run on an earlier model of Mac except for Apple hard-coding in an exclusion?

gvollant

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
There are a few other files to patch. I don't know of all of them, but hopefully a hack is created shortly after Lion is released.

You think that even after loading boot.efi, the kernel or somes kext again check the ID to reject MacMini1,1 ?

gvollant

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
I really don't understand why Apple does hard coding mac exclusion. Why they don't just check the "EM64T" flag on the intel processor?

andreas.b

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2005
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.

He is asking if you think there are more hardware ID checks than the one in boot.efi.

Obviously there's the one in CoreServices/PlatformSupport too.

But other than that?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
He is asking if you think there are more hardware ID checks than the one in boot.efi.

Obviously there's the one in CoreServices/PlatformSupport too.

But other than that?

Oh, yes I believe there are more. Probably in the mach_kernal.

andreas.b

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2005
Oh, yes I believe there are more. Probably in the mach_kernal.

As far as I know they always release the full kernel sources though, so when they do that for Lion it would be easy to get around.

I'm thinking that patching boot.efi would be a good start, unfortunately that's not something I'm capable of.

gvollant

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
it seem somes user are able to run Lion GM in hackintosh or VMWare virtual machine. So there is probably a solution for real mac!

elnegas

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011

This link only explains the same things I have explained on this forum (page 4)

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Heaven forbid Apple refuses to officially support Macs whose owners have cracked them open and replaced their processors.

I think 0dev may be making a reference to the perfectly capable Core Duo systems, rather than ones upgraded with Core 2 Duo processors. Lion DP1 with the newly rewritten Finder did work very well indeed on the 32-bit CPUs.

It does seem an unusually arbitrary move, IMHO.

andreas.b

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2005
This link only explains the same things I have explained on this forum (page 4)

Yeah it does. My point was that it was probably possible to get Lion GM running the same way.

I see this as useful on systems 32-bit EFI and 64-bit CPU upgrade. This of course won't help on systems with a 32-bit CPU.

I'm not sure if Lion is ever going to be viable for 32-bit CPU systems, because as you say, some apps doesn't have 32-bit binaries anymore.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I've given several examples to prove you're hopelessly wrong- care to provide that proves you are right- i.e. a case where some software could have run on an earlier model of Mac except for Apple hard-coding in an exclusion?

I don't know what Steve Ballmer has been saying, but there are a few examples of this.

Back in the day, when iTunes first came out, Apple quickly restricted it to OS 9. I didn't have OS 9, so when iTunes 3 (I think it was 3) came out, it wouldn't work. I found a hack online, changed the OS check, and it worked perfectly. The next version of iTunes had a deeper lock-out that I never was able to find how to get around, though I saw many articles (from reputable sources) that said there was no reason for this; iTunes didn't have anything in it that relied on something in OS 9 that wasn't present in OS 8.5+. I may be slightly off on the exact version numbers of iTunes, but that was so many years ago, I think I was about 15 or so.

iMovie 8 doesn't run on PPC Macs, for no reason. The only part of iMovie that requires Intel is its ability to process AVCHD video. However, the rest of iMovie has no issues running on a PPC Mac. I know this, because I acquired a copy of iLife and went to install it, and iMovie installed but wouldn't run. Did some searching around, changed a few hex bits, and it worked like a dream. No speed issues, no nothing (though, because it was hacked, it would crash if you tried to process AVCHD video). There was no reason Apple locked iMovie out from PPC Macs, it would have been easy enough to disable that one feature on PPC Macs.

When Leopard came out, it was restricted to 867+ MHz G4s as the base requirement. While I generally agreed with it for performance standards, it has no problems running on slower hardware once you get it past the install check. I have a friend at work who installed it on some 800 MHz (or around there) dual proc G4s and, according to him, it runs great.

Apple does lock out older hardware arbitrarily sometimes. I don't think this is the case with Lion, though, as Apple is trying to move to a wholly 64-bit OS, and that's not possible with a 32-bit processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.