Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gixene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Indiana
Hello MacRumors Community,

I now have a 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID. I decided to 'hand down' the previous MacBook to my mother. It is a MacBook 7,1 or commonly known as the "White Polycarbonate Unibody" for most. So I moved all of the data from the MacBook to the MacBook Pro. Afterwards, I wiped the MacBook's HDD. After wiping the HDD, the MacBook prompted to install macOS Sierra (10.12).

My mother has been a Microsoft OS user throughout her long career in the Fortune 500 business world. I felt it would be wrong to make this decision. I made the decision to insert the disk that was included with the MacBook 7,1 to download the OS X Snow Leopard (10.6). After all, it can always upgrade from this version as I upgraded to macOS Sierra after a month ago.

Despite my mother having an iPad and a iPhone 6 Plus, she avoids syncing her devices despite the benefits I constantly explain to her. I assisted in the set up process to help if asked but avoided intervention. She was double clicking, it was quite comical and brought back fond memories of the first experience I had. Surprisingly, within the first 10 minutes she asked, "How do I sync the Calendar on my iPhone with this?" I was shocked. The other reason I opted to download Snow Leopard.

I told her that it would need to be one of the more recent OS versions, but would require a long process of updating. She was adamant that the MacBook be upgraded to the latest version. So I began the update, which took 10 minutes. I imagine it was a update to a version in Snow Leopard and not a Lion or newer. Regardless, after downloading it prompted to restart. However, the MacBook was not restarting. I waited 10 minutes and made sure it was connected to a power source.

My mother made the suggestion to shut down the MacBook, and I agreed. So I forced the shutdown via power button. I did this update process once more and it had the same issue. I was more upset than she was I believe. Her first Mac impression was negative because of me. I suggested I keep the MacBook for a few days while I update it. However, she declined and said that she would continue using it regardless.

I'm now regretting the decision I made. Though if I can update the MacBook, what would be the best solution?

Thank you, Gixene

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
I've had this issue on Snow Leopard before. Try installing each update individually, it should then work properly.

As well, keep in mind you can only got directly to El Capitan (or earlier) from Snow Leopard.

Gixene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Indiana
I've had this issue on Snow Leopard before. Try installing each update individually, it should then work properly.

As well, keep in mind you can only got directly to El Capitan (or earlier) from Snow Leopard.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. This issue presented itself on the first update via menu bar. I believe Snow Leopard had a tab dedicated for "Software Update." Difficult to know, as I don't have access to the MacBook. I imagine it was upgrading to Lion. It did not specify.

So if I were to upgrade it to Sierra, how could this be done? Would I simply wipe the MacBook the same as I did the first time and upgrade?

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
Thank you for taking the time to respond. This issue presented itself on the first update via menu bar. I believe Snow Leopard had a tab dedicated for "Software Update." Difficult to know, as I don't have access to the MacBook. I imagine it was upgrading to Lion. It did not specify.

So if I were to upgrade it to Sierra, how could this be done? Would I simply wipe the MacBook the same as I did the first time and upgrade?
I was referring to the computer not restarting when updating via Software Update. Lion and later can only be installed from the App Store.

You would have to update to El Capitan then to Sierra.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Check this Apple page under General Requirements>Have an older version of OS X?>Learn how to upgrade
"Upgrading from previous versions of OS X Upgrading from OS X Snow Leopard
If you’re running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and your Mac supports macOS Sierra, you will need to upgrade to El Capitan first."

Martin3905

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
I am transitioning from Windows to the MAC WORLD. I am rebuilding a Mac Pro and I need a used copy of Snow Leopard in order to upgrade from Mac OS 10.5. Can anyone help!!!!!

gimchess

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
I am transitioning from Windows to the MAC WORLD. I am rebuilding a Mac Pro and I need a used copy of Snow Leopard in order to upgrade from Mac OS 10.5. Can anyone help!!!!!
Did you get it figured out? If not there is a iso copy on internet archive. You will have to format it to work with a flashdrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.