Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
I have the Mac OS X Snow Leopard installation disc- should I just get rid them or what should I do with it?

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Keep it. It's a very valuable piece of software. For those things, you never know if you're going to need it again.

I've thrown away so many discs and I always regret it.

Reactions: MarineBand5524

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you still have a Mac with a DVD drive? (useful to make a restore copy of the installer DVD on a thumb drive or an external USB drive)
If you never expect to need to install or reinstall Snow Leopard - there's always eBay.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Keep it. It's a very valuable piece of software. For those things, you never know if you're going to need it again.

I've thrown away so many discs and I always regret it.
I know what you mean by keeping - if you brought a used MacBook that the had Snow Leopard, I doubt I will be buying any

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Do you still have a Mac with a DVD drive? (useful to make a restore copy of the installer DVD on a thumb drive or an external USB drive)
If you never expect to need to install or reinstall Snow Leopard - there's always eBay.
I don't have any mac with a CD drive-

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That might have been a good item to include with the sale of an older Mac that could boot to that system...
Same thing that I do when I occasionally sell an older Mac - usually include one or two old OS X installers that would work with that Mac model.
but, if you just have a couple of "orphan" system DVDs, and you think it's unlikely that you would ever use those DVDs for anything other than a drink coaster, then eBay (or a convenient recycle bin) is a reasonable choice.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I regret letting go of my win98 and XP disks. 100% keep it just for the fact you can boot to disk utils off the DvD.
Snow Leopard does not have a built-in Recovery partition so if you need to repair the disk and you have Snow Leopard, you're out of luck.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Snow Leopard does not have a built-in Recovery partition so if you need to repair the disk and you have Snow Leopard, you're out of luck.
i think that is why I'm just thinking about getting rid of it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.