Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
The only simple (cheap) video out I'm aware of requires a TTL capable monitor that can easily handle 22Khz. Also a rather rare/old beast.

See section "9.1.1 Monitors" on page 24 of the previously posted PDF.

I wish I had never thrown so many 128, 512 & Pluses away so many years ago. ?

theminidriver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2021
Cool, thanks. I've also seen some conversions to composite -> VGA. Will see.

Wow - I've never seen a 128k or 512k. My Plus is the only one I've ever seen in real life. Macs never caught on as a consumer machine in South Africa in those days. They were only used a bit in the printing industry, and only really from the Macintosh II onwards.

I do regret throwing out a couple Sinclair Spectrums back in the day tho!

Reactions: MacTech68

theminidriver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2021
The saga continues even further! I was lucky enough to have a trip to the USA, and I picked up a flyback from the link earlier in the thread ( 157-026C Flyback 157026C / Replaces Apple / HR 42031 | eBay ).

It fixed it a bit - the screen is not shaking and is legible, except there is a bright vertical band on the left hand side of the screen. And Q3 (US) BU406 gets really really hot.

I tried changing it (could only find a BU406G, not sure if materially different). But that had the effect that there was no beep, and the display kinda collapsed into a very thin squiggly line, and the BU406G got even hotter than the one it replaced.

So I've changed back to the original BU406, and it reverted to the previous behaviour.

Any clues welcome! Thanks!

Attachments

• tempImagemAehZo.png
    tempImagemAehZo.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 83

aihk

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
After much recapping, reversing modifications, replacing all diodes and rectifiers, and basically refurbing the whole power supply and floppy drive, we finally have victory! Just need to get a small gear 3D printed for the floppy auto-eject, and she will be as good as new! Thanks for all the info and tips :)

View attachment 1940895
Hello ~ My Maikinsa's voice is the same as you are. What are you resurrected after changing?

pete1

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
London, UK
The saga continues even further! I was lucky enough to have a trip to the USA, and I picked up a flyback from the link earlier in the thread ( 157-026C Flyback 157026C / Replaces Apple / HR 42031 | eBay ).

It fixed it a bit - the screen is not shaking and is legible, except there is a bright vertical band on the left hand side of the screen. And Q3 (US) BU406 gets really really hot.
Did you have any luck fixing the vertical band? I have this on my SE/30 - although much fainter than yours, it's in the same position.

theminidriver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2021
Sorry to hear.
Unfortunately, no cure, it just got hotter and screen started shaking and then completely dead. At a loss at this point really.

pete1

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
London, UK
Here's a pic. Luckily the machine doesn't seem to be getting worse or anything like this. It came up after a full recap of the analog board plus a reflow, so I'll need to check over my joints.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 15.05.18.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 15.05.18.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 59
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.