Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mister Speaker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
Hi there,

So here's the situation: I've got a Sapphire HD7950 that I pulled out of my MP 5,1. I intended to drop it into my older machine, a 1,1 running Snow Leopard that I use for media, but it seems the 7950 is just out of compatibility with the 1,1 tower - it runs, but I can only get 800x600 resolution out of it, which is natch unacceptable.

I found a guy on a local trading post who wants to swap my 7950 for his HD5770. I'm willing to trade straight-up, but I'm wondering about the card's power requirements: specifically, in a 1,1 tower will the HD5770 require the six-pin auxiliary power cables connected to the motherboard? The guy claims it doesn't in his machine, but his is a 5,1. I don't want to make the trade and then find out I need to order more cables for it to work.

ALTERNATIVELY: Ideally, I'd prefer to keep my HD7950, if I can get it to work properly in my 1,1 tower running OS 10.6.8. Is this at all possible?

Thanks for your time.

Mister Speaker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
The HD5770 requires a single 6-pin feed from the logic board.

Great, thanks for your prompt reply. As a follow-up, do you know if the 7950 requires both six-pin cables to run? If I can leave one of my cables with this guy, we're both happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.