Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agejon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Athens, Greece
I received the Mac Pro and everything looks and works great!

Now I have to start with the upgrades!!!!!

IMG_0701.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg
IMG_0703.jpg
IMG_0704.jpg

agejon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Athens, Greece
I am happy that you had a good unboxing experience! What upgrades are you planning?

A sata III pcie card, probably sonnet tempo with 2 * ssd Samsung 960 Evo 500GB (maybe in raid 0). I am not sure if it is better to go with M.2 NVMe?? Maybe for a scratch disk an NVMe will be better as I will run many non-gui linux vms with docker in each for testing, through vagrant and virtualbox.

A metal capable gpu, either the old R9 280x and flash it or a new RX 560... again I am not decided yet!
For now I swapped the 5770 with a GTX 750ti and updated to Boot ROM Version: 138.0.0.0.0 so when the Nvidia web drivers are released for Mojave I will update to it.

A usb 3 pcie card.

Finally, are you satisfied with the LG 27UK850 monitor you have. I am considering buying it!
I already have a 24" and a 20" monitor and I want to replace the 20" with a 27 4K one.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
A sata III pcie card, probably sonnet tempo with 2 * ssd Samsung 960 Evo 500GB (maybe in raid 0). I am not sure if it is better to go with M.2 NVMe?? Maybe for a scratch disk an NVMe will be better as I will run many non-gui linux vms with docker in each for testing, through vagrant and virtualbox.

A metal capable gpu, either the old R9 280x and flash it or a new RX 560... again I am not decided yet!
For now I swapped the 5770 with a GTX 750ti and updated to Boot ROM Version: 138.0.0.0.0 so when the Nvidia web drivers are released for Mojave I will update to it.

A usb 3 pcie card.

Finally, are you satisfied with the LG 27UK850 monitor you have. I am considering buying it!
I already have a 24" and a 20" monitor and I want to replace the 20" with a 27 4K one.
I have the sonnet tempo pro card and while its OK for Sata III SSD use/speeds, you cannot boot to any version of Windows via bootcamp.. Something to do with the card.

As for NVMe - I highly recommend it and consider it to be the second best upgrade after my 5,1 purchase.

I also very much like and have zero issues with my LG display - quality and options are great, including the HDR capability, and it works with both Nvidia and AMD cards and supports freesync if you are into gaming.

Reactions: agejon

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

A usb 3 pcie card.

Forget PCIe SATA3, it's totally useless when compared with NVMe solutions. Buy a nice adaptor like Angelbird Wings PX1 or Aquacomputer kryoM2 and the biggest NVMe SSD possible. You can boot from NVMe after you inject the NVMe EFI module in the BootROM.

Don't buy a Samsung 950Pro, you can't boot it on a Mac Pro even if you inject the NVMe module.

Reactions: h9826790 and agejon

agejon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Athens, Greece
I have the sonnet tempo pro card and while its OK for Sata III SSD use/speeds, you cannot boot to any version of Windows via bootcamp.. Something to do with the card.

As for NVMe - I highly recommend it and consider it to be the second best upgrade after my 5,1 purchase.

I also very much like and have zero issues with my LG display - quality and options are great, including the HDR capability, and it works with both Nvidia and AMD cards and supports freesync if you are into gaming.

Which adapter do you use for your NVMe?

I was thinking of using a sata 2 ssd for windows. I am not into gaming for now... ;-)
It is unfortunate however that the sonnet does not support windows through bootcamp... Have you tried installing it without bootcamp? Maybe using the old dvd way?

The monitor spec wise seems great, but thank you for verifying it through your experience!
[doublepost=1538230658][/doublepost]
Forget PCIe SATA3, it's totally useless when compared with NVMe solutions. Buy a nice adaptor like Angelbird Wings PX1 or Aquacomputer kryoM2 and the biggest NVMe SSD possible. You can boot from NVMe after you inject the NVMe EFI module in the BootROM.

Don't buy a Samsung 950Pro, you can't boot it on a Mac Pro even if you inject the NVMe module.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!
What about the Lycom dt-120? (hmmm... it doesn’t have a heatsink)

About the GPU to you believe it’s better to go with the newer AMD ones or buy an old one and flash it?
I will use the machine for development and UI Design in Sketch/Affinity Designer, not at all graphic intensive tasks!

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

I was thinking of using a sata 2 ssd for windows. I am not into gaming for now... ;-)
It is unfortunate however that the sonnet does not support windows through bootcamp... Have you tried installing it without bootcamp? Maybe using the old dvd way?

The monitor spec wise seems great, but thank you for verifying it through your experience!
[doublepost=1538230658][/doublepost]

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!

About the GPU to you believe it’s better to go with the newer AMD ones or buy an old one and flash it?
I will use the machine for development and UI Design in Sketch/Affinity Designer, not at all graphic intensive tasks!
You have to see what's the best cost benefit.

You can buy a used PC Nvidia GTX 680 and flash yourself, 5' job with Windows, or you can buy a RX-560/580. With older AMD GCN1.x cards you have to choose carefully to find one that works with all ports, better to try to find a used GTX-680.

If you use a lot of BootCamp or need boot screens/boot picker, buy the GTX-680. If you don't, go for RX-560/580.

If you have to use 10.13.6, don't buy a RX-560, go for the RX-580. Driver support for the RX-560 with High Sierra is flaky, works fine with Mojave.

agejon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Athens, Greece
You have to see what's the best cost benefit.

You can buy a used PC Nvidia GTX 680 and flash yourself, 5' job with Windows, or you can buy a RX-560/580. With older AMD GCN1.x cards you have to choose carefully to find one that works with all ports, better to try to find a used GTX-680.

If you use a lot of BootCamp or need boot screens/boot picker, buy the GTX-680. If you don't, go for RX-560/580.

If you have to use 10.13.6, don't buy a RX-560, go for the RX-580. Driver support for the RX-560 with High Sierra is flaky, works fine with Mojave.

Do we know if “all” the AMD 7950/70/R9 280X with Mac reference ports: 1 x DVI, 1 x HDMI and 2 x mini DP work properly (all ports functional) when flashed?

I do not need 10.13.6, i will upgrade to Mohave ... I run it on my hackintosh and macbook pro since the beta and i am eager to upgrade my Mac Pro also!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Do we know if “all” the AMD 7950/70/R9 280X with Mac reference ports: 1 x DVI, 1 x HDMI and 2 x mini DP work properly (all ports functional) when flashed?

I do not need 10.13.6, i will upgrade to Mohave ... I run it on my hackintosh and macbook pro since the beta and i am eager to upgrade my Mac Pro also!

No, it's not a rule.

XFX cards even with the same ports as the AMD reference card sometimes are wired differently. Some makers, like Gigabyte use non standard firmware that not work with Mac EFI.

If you go for a GCN1.x card be prepared to buy more than one until you find a working one. Even if you buy one that has been tested, you can buy a different PCB revision and things will not work.

If you already have a GCN1.x card, flash it. But if you gonna buy a card, unless you find a GCN1.0 really really cheap, go for a NVIDIA GTX-680.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013

For NVMe - I am using the HighPoint 7101A card. You can also go with the cards @tsialex recommended but you won't hit max speeds of the Samsung 970 Pro or Evo blades ~ over 3000 MB/s read and 2300 MB/s write. You need a NVMe PCIe card with an onboard PLX switch which the highpoint and amfeltec have. However, you will still benefit from the higher IOPs, lower cost of the card and 1600'ish read/write speeds.

The sonnet tempo card only supports booting macOS but not Windows. Does not matter how you plan to install windows, it just won't allow windows to boot with it being present in your mac pro - check sonnet's website.

For your use case and seeing that you went with dual x5680 and 64GB, I'd recommend pimping your NVMe setup >> GPU >> DISPLAY

Cheers

agejon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Athens, Greece
No, it's not a rule.

XFX cards even with the same ports as the AMD reference card sometimes are wired differently. Some makers, like Gigabyte use non standard firmware that not work with Mac EFI.

If you go for a GCN1.x card be prepared to buy more than one until you find a working one. Even if you buy one that has been tested, you can buy a different PCB revision and things will not work.

If you already have a GCN1.x card, flash it. But if you gonna buy a card, unless you find a GCN1.0 really really cheap, go for a NVIDIA GTX-680.

So either GTX-680 or RX 560/580. I want to run as fast as I can away from the proprietary Nvidia web drivers ;-)

For NVMe - I am using the HighPoint 7101A card. You can also go with the cards @tsialex recommended but you won't hit max speeds of the Samsung 970 Pro or Evo blades ~ over 3000 MB/s read and 2300 MB/s write. You need a NVMe PCIe card with an onboard PLX switch which the highpoint and amfeltec have. However, you will still benefit from the higher IOPs, lower cost of the card and 1600'ish read/write speeds.

The sonnet tempo card only supports booting macOS but not Windows. Does not matter how you plan to install windows, it just won't allow windows to boot with it being present in your mac pro - check sonnet's website.

For your use case and seeing that you went with dual x5680 and 64GB, I'd recommend pimping your NVMe setup >> GPU >> DISPLAY

Cheers

I will follow the NVMe path...

Thank you both @tsialex and @W1SS for your help!

Reactions: tsialex and w1z

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Cheers

The Tempo card won’t stop Windows booting. It just may stop the EFI boot manager working properly on 5,1. I have this card installed, and I can install / boot Windows with any problem (my Windows SSD is installed in the optical bay).

As long as don’t use that “option boot”, the card’s existence won’t break anything.

Reactions: agejon and w1z

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
The Tempo card won’t stop Windows booting. It just may stop the EFI boot manager working properly on 5,1. I have this card installed, and I can install / boot Windows with any problem (my Windows SSD is installed in the optical bay).

As long as don’t use that “option boot”, the card’s existence won’t break anything.

That was not my experience using the card with the 3,1 and I tried every possible combination to boot Windows 10. It is also stated on Sonnet's website - 'Will not boot Windows on a Mac under Boot Camp'.

Now that I have a 5,1, I'll give it a try again and confirm.

Thanks

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013

Confirmed.

Converted my windows 10 mbr to gpt, went into macos startup manager and selected boot camp then restarted. I wish I had the same experience with my 3,1 as I spent days on days trying to boot windows in bios mode with the sonnet and apricorn duo and it just wouldn't.

Thank you. You are a valuable asset to this community.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I see there is a new hack builder like Psystar called MacStorm with several product listings on eBay. They are located in Krakow Poland. Unless they have the Polish government in their back pocket they are probably headed for a similar future as Psystar. I’m surprised eBay allowed the listings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.