Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoobysnax

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
The reason single core scores are basically the same across all of these CPUs, despite the core count, has to do with Intel's Turbo Boost I believe. It will raise the single for performance to a certain ceiling if it knows your current workload isn't multi-threaded. That's why the 2.5Ghz 28 core can have a higher single core score than the 8 core 3.5Ghz, despite the 1Ghz difference.
Right. My workload is always multi-threading so it doesn’t help me unfortunately.

stoobysnax

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
Yeah you should be able to test this out yourself by doing this. You do lose more RAM, but the speed will be maximized. I gained almost 2000 more points on GB5 in multicore, single core being similar to pre-6 channel. Your results may vary.
Single core seems to be my issue, multi-core is just fine and can handle a ton.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
How much have you filled your SSD? SSD’s need a cushion of 25-30% of total. Failing that the drive could slow down to not much more than an HDD.

stoobysnax

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
How much have you filled your SSD? SSD’s need a cushion of 25-30% of total. Failing that the drive could slow down to not much more than an HDD.
SSD's are all 40-50% used... more than 50% space left on all of them so that's def not the issue.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
Well, I just bought me a new 7,1, base model 3.5Ghz 8-Core/96GB/256GB/580X (I immediately installed a pair of 32GB sticks out-of-the-box) and after installing Big Sur and going through the migration route to SATA Samsung 4TB EVO 970 PRO, I, too, feel it's slower sometimes than my 2012 Dual 3.46 12-core/64GB/Sapphire. Booting sometimes feels slower. Mundane Finder operations, meh.

I used the same EVO in both machines (performed a CCC to a 4TB spinner in order to move the EVO to the 7,1, fresh Big Sur install, then migrate). So it is literally the exact same boot drive, exact same (but fresh) OS, exact same software and user setup.

At 3.5GHz, this is the fastest clock available. And so far, I'm not impressed in regards to normal Finder stuff. I haven't yet done any Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign stuff, nor any FCP/Resolve.

A SNAFU required me to replace the SATA EVO 4TB ASAP, and hunting for bootable 4TB solutions for the 7,1, I decided to bite the bullet and get the official Apple 4TB SSD kit; I'm in the process of migration and will report back if this improves Finder performance any.

I was told more cores definitely helps with the Adobe suite so I was going to step up to a 16 core, but with your Finder experience, I will probably delay and go with a W5700X upgrade first.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
I wish I could help troubleshoot more. My 16-core 7,1 is super fast, never feels sluggish. And I tax it quite a bit with heavy work.

I wonder if migrating things from previous backups is bringing over something. I don't know.

Let us know if the apple kit helps.

Reactions: Auggie

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
I wish I could help troubleshoot more. My 16-core 7,1 is super fast, never feels sluggish. And I tax it quite a bit with heavy work.

Again, my experience reported is strictly Finder as I only got the machine last week and haven't even tried doing any real "work." Perhaps once I really get down to brass tacks, that's when I will notice my currently $7K investment was worthwhile...

I wonder if migrating things from previous backups is bringing over something. I don't know.

I don't think so. After a fresh install of Big Sur, I created a temporary account which I used to "kick the tires" via Finder, and several reboots in between, I just didn't notice a huge performance "rush" overall; the occasional extended boot times surprised me. Now, perhaps that delay could be measured in mere seconds, but for me, I do notice those typical imperceptible differences: the little details.

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
And oh yea, I'm a little peeved that this thing doesn't have digital out anymore; just a puny 3.5mm headphone jack... OUT BACK. No way I can connect to my trusty, ancient 5.1 Logitech Z-640's as-is.

Just more money to throw onto the fire to restore existing functionality with current equipment: CalDigit T3S Plus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.