Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pablomanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

I’ve a Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1 that is running constantly all the fans in full speed (very loud).

This happens even before the booting sound.

So I downloaded TG Pro to see if all sensors and temperatures are OK.
I got the PS, EXHAUST AND INTAKE fans in 0 RPM. But they’ definitely spinning 100%.

Already done SMC, PRAM/NVRAM reset with no luck. Cleaned all the dust I can see. No heavy workloads in Activity Monitor.

Can someone help me? What’s causing the fans running full speed?

Specs of my Mac:
Mac Pro 4,1 (5,1 firmware)
Radeon 5770 HD
6GB RAM 1066Ghz
OS X El Capitan

https://app.box.com/s/1ibj1rbikji2d1h4abwfsae2oyjoekbh

Attachments

• 2E3BCF50-5F75-4F67-A380-DDB9C11EF26A.jpeg
    2E3BCF50-5F75-4F67-A380-DDB9C11EF26A.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello everyone,

I’ve a Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1 that is running constantly all the fans in full speed (very loud).

This happens even before the booting sound.

So I downloaded TG Pro to see if all sensors and temperatures are OK.
I got the PS, EXHAUST AND INTAKE fans in 0 RPM. But they’ definitely spinning 100%.

Already done SMC, PRAM/NVRAM reset with no luck. Cleaned all the dust I can see. No heavy workloads in Activity Monitor.

Can someone help me? What’s causing the fans running full speed?

Specs of my Mac:
Mac Pro 4,1 (5,1 firmware)
Radeon 5770 HD
6GB RAM 1066Ghz
OS X El Capitan

https://app.box.com/s/1ibj1rbikji2d1h4abwfsae2oyjoekbh
Check if backplane and tray have the same SMC version. For a 2009 Mac Pro, both have to be 1.39f5.

Reactions: pablomanda

pablomanda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Check if backplane and tray have the same SMC version. For a 2009 Mac Pro, both have to be 1.39f5.
Oh my gosh!! I forgot to check that!!
I’ve:
SMC Version (System): 1.39f5
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

Thank you very much tsialex!! Would you recommend me to buy a 1.39f5 tray and sell the 1.39f11 one? Thank you again.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Oh my gosh!! I forgot to check that!!
I’ve:
SMC Version (System): 1.39f5
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

Thank you very much tsialex!! Would you recommend me to buy a 1.39f5 tray and sell the 1.39f11 one? Thank you again.
I don't like at all frankenstein Mac Pros, so if I was correcting this, I'd check if the serial number for the case (check the ESN label near the video outputs) is for a 2009 Mac Pro, then I'd buy a 2009 tray.

If it's a 2010/2012 case, I'd buy a 2010/2012 backplane.

Reactions: h9826790

KingCachapa

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2020
hi @tsialex @h9826790 I found this thread because I found the same problem.

I have a discrepancy in the versions specified above as well. Is this 100% the culprit of fans being full speed, as well as not being able to control them at all?

SMC - System -> 1.39f11
SMC - Processor Tray -> 1.39f5

In my case, it seems that NO fans are responding to settings changes despite trying two different programs. MacFanControl, and through istatmenus.

CAC42F3B-520B-464E-B0ED-A73500C108C9.jpeg

As you can see, in this screenshot they were all set manually to 100% on the top left (after trying 0% no result), but you can also see on the bottom "actual" status, it seems that Boosters are running all the way while the rest of fans are doing what they want without obeying MacFanControl or iStat (which I usually only use for monitoring, not control).

What are my options here?

Bonus question: is there any way to control third party additional custom fans as well, if it's plugged in to the 15v aux @ PCIe?

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
hi @tsialex @h9826790 I found this thread because I found the same problem.

I have a discrepancy in the versions specified above as well. Is this 100% the culprit of fans being full speed, as well as not being able to control them at all?

SMC - System -> 1.39f11
SMC - Processor Tray -> 1.39f5
Mismatched SMC firmware version, backplane from a mid-2010/mid-2012 and CPU tray from an early 2009.

In my case, it seems that NO fans are responding to settings changes despite trying two different programs. MacFanControl, and through istatmenus.

View attachment 1856823

As you can see, in this screenshot they were all set manually to 100% on the top left (after trying 0% no result), but you can also see on the bottom "actual" status, it seems that Boosters are running all the way while the rest of fans are doing what they want without obeying MacFanControl or iStat (which I usually only use for monitoring, not control).

What are my options here?
Replace the backplane or the CPU tray - SMC versions matching are a requirement. Mismatched SMC between the CPU tray and backplane makes the SMC microcontroller to enter SAFE MODE, when all fans run full speed all the time.

Bonus question: is there any way to control third party additional custom fans as well, if it's plugged in to the 15v aux @ PCIe?

SMC can only manage what was designed to manage, you can't add additional fans without modifying the way it's managed with another microcontroller. Better to create a separate hardware management controller than trying to interface with the SMC without having access to it's source code.

Last edited:

KingCachapa

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2020
Mismatched SMC firmware version, backplane from a mid-2010/mid-2012 and CPU tray from an early 2009.

Replace the backplane or the CPU tray - SMC versions matching are a requirement. Mismatched SMC between the CPU tray and backplane makes the SMC microcontroller to enter SAFE MODE, when all fans run full speed all the time.

SMC can only manage what was designed to manage, you can't add additional fans without modifying the way it's managed with another microcontroller. Better to create a separate hardware management controller than trying to interface with the SMC without having access to it's source code.
You rock man, thank you for the detailed and quick response. This makes sense, and I guess I'm the hunt for a new CPU tray :p I'm on the final steps of migrating my bits and pieces from a 4,1 (had a few problems) to a "new" 5,1.

Completely overlooked the tray and backplane having to match. Cheers!

Audiomangiraldo

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2022
@tsialex as suggested i post here and not on the other thread.

After change the backplane i started the machine and all the fans spinning at maximum speed , i reset SMC and P-RAM and i'm check if the SMC versions of backplane and CPU tray are correct. how can I do or check for solve the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20221111_085940.jpg
    IMG_20221111_085940.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Schermata TG Pro.png
    Schermata TG Pro.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

After change the backplane i started the machine and all the fans spinning at maximum speed , i reset SMC and P-RAM and i'm check if the SMC versions of backplane and CPU tray are correct. how can I do or check for solve the problem?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Nope, not me, but correct suggestion anyway.
You are not describing you fan issue correctly, you have a racing PCI-e fan and not SMC mismatch/fail-safe mode with all fans at maximum RPM, these are very different things.

Which GPU you are using?

Audiomangiraldo

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2022
You are not describing you fan issue correctly, you have a racing PCI-e fan and not SMC mismatch/fail-out with all fans at maximum RPM, these are very different things.

Which GPU you are using?
Ciao tsialex , i use the original Apple GPU the GT 120

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
You need to eliminate all possible causes, one by one, like a defective GPU/PSU/CPU tray.

Did you tested this backplane with a known working PSU and not just with the PSU of your defective Mac Pro?

Dump the factory installed BootROM and flash the mp51.fd, then test again.

Audiomangiraldo

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2022
You need to eliminate all possible causes, one by one, like a defective GPU/PSU/CPU tray.

Did you tested this backplane with a known working PSU and not just with the PSU of your defective Mac Pro?

Dump the factory installed BootROM and flash the mp51.fd, then test again.
I tested this CPU tray on my friend's Mac pro, and as I wrote to you in the other thread it started up on the first try without any problem regarding the fans. I have a rx 580 that I could try to mount instead of the gt 120. about the flash to Mac Pro 5.1 I don't know what the step by step procedure is so if you can post it here I would be grateful. let me know what you think

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I tested this CPU tray on my friend's Mac pro, and as I wrote to you in the other thread it started up on the first try without any problem regarding the fans. I have a rx 580 that I could try to mount instead of the gt 120. about the flash to Mac Pro 5.1 I don't know what the step by step procedure is so if you can post it here I would be grateful. let me know what you think
Eliminate all possible problems before looking at BootROM issues, even more so since you don't know how to do it.

Did you checked the RTC battery voltage?

Audiomangiraldo

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2022
Tested with another GPU? PSU?
@tsialex , I tried to mount the rx580, black screen result from both the DVI output and the two HDMI outputs. another strange thing the system starts with the fans at maximum but after a while they decrease the speed and return to normal operation, but always with a black screen. I'm with El capitan and the fact that the fans go down could be the "fan control" software that acts when the operating system starts. I don't understand why no video signal comes out neither from DVI nor from HDMI

Audiomangiraldo

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2022
@tsialex I was able to find Apple's hardware test for my Mac Pro 4.1 I ran it and this from the photo is the result

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_095932.jpg
    IMG_20221112_095932.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20221112_095943.jpg
    IMG_20221112_095943.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 101

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
@tsialex , I tried to mount the rx580, black screen result from both the DVI output and the two HDMI outputs. another strange thing the system starts with the fans at maximum but after a while they decrease the speed and return to normal operation, but always with a black screen. I'm with El capitan and the fact that the fans go down could be the "fan control" software that acts when the operating system starts. I don't understand why no video signal comes out neither from DVI nor from HDMI
RX 580 is only supported after 10.12.6.

@tsialex I was able to find Apple's hardware test for my Mac Pro 4.1 I ran it and this from the photo is the result
Borrow a known working early-2009 CPU tray and test your Mac Pro with it, this AHT error code is usually related to the CPU tray own SMC.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
@tsialex If was a SMC problem on the CPU tray , Is it possibile to replace It like the backplane ?
Replace as buying a second hand tray? Yes. If you are somewhat thinking as replacing like we can do with the SPI flash memory that stores the BootROM, a bold no.

The SMC microcontroller is a 144-TQFP chip that we don't have access to it's source firmware to program it and can't be dumped from a already flashed one.

The only way to replace the Mac Pro SMC is to source it from another CPU tray with the same SMC firmware version, if you can work with a so small pitch and high count pin SMD.

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 12.25.33.png

Reactions: Macschrauber

Audiomangiraldo

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2022
Borrow a known working early-2009 CPU tray and test your Mac Pro with it, this AHT error code is usually related to the CPU tray own SMC.
Hi @tsialex today i've tested my CPU tray on the working mac pro 4.1 of my friend and the machine starts without any fans speed issue, after that i try his CPU tray on my mac pro 4.1 and the fans issue still remain , so apparently is not a problem on my CPU tray.
After that we had run the Boot ROM upgrade to version 144.0.0.0.0 but the fans issue persist.
Is it possible that is a issue of the new back plane ?
i attach a picture of the current machine status

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_212618.jpg
    IMG_20221209_212618.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi @tsialex today i've tested my CPU tray on the working mac pro 4.1 of my friend and the machine starts without any fans speed issue, after that i try his CPU tray on my mac pro 4.1 and the fans issue still remain , so apparently is not a problem on my CPU tray.
Ok, but did you run AHT and ASD when the CPU tray was installed to your friend's Mac Pro to confirm?
After that we had run the Boot ROM upgrade to version 144.0.0.0.0 but the fans issue persist.
The EFI version have nothing to do with the SMC issues, not related.
Is it possible that is a issue of the new back plane ?
Yes, the backplane SMC could be defective, run ASD and see the error code.
i attach a picture of the current machine status
Nothing of note on this picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.