Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Hi:
I installed ventura via OCLP on a mac pro 5,1 Mac Pro 2x6-Core Intel Xeon, 3,46 GHz, 64Gb ram and a flashed GPU msi radeon rx 560 aero a few months ago.
It has been working flawessly since then.
However, last week, it ceased working; on boot, it will show the boot screen, it will start the progress bar and the progress bar will progress up to a point where the screen goes black and then will do nothing. When the installation was working ok, at this point the login screen would appear, but not anymore.
I got the bootrom reconstruted by @tsialex (thanks, man!), since it showed some errors, but the situation persits.
Searching through the forum, I learned that I could try to boot in safe mode holding the shift key, but when doing this it gets stuck on the progress bar forever. This time the black screen does not appear.
I've tried to reinstall ventura via oclp, but I always end up on the black screen.
Can anyone help me? Anyone has any idea of what can be going on? How could I reinstall the OS?
The computer boots wih a supported mac os (El Capitan) and works ok, but I need OCLP to run the newest applcations.
Any help will be much appreciated.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Three things:

First, did you checked your disks with DriveDX?

Second, how you are using a RX 560 with ElCapitan? No drivers before 10.12.6, so it will be unaccelerated via EFI fail-safe drivers and the UI become molasses. Install Mojave and be sure that your Mac Pro and the RX 560 works fine.

Third, did you installed your Ventura with another GPU? If so, you need to re-run the root patches every time you do the GPU replacement - you can't change GPUs with OCLP without re-applying the root patches since the patches are tailored for the GPU you installed OCLP with and drivers for all other GPUs are removed from macOS. Go back to the GPU you installed it, undo the root patches, install the RX 560, re-do the root patches.

Reactions: AlexMaximus

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Many thanks for your help, man.

How you are using a RX 560 with ElCapitan? No drivers before 10.12.6…
I don't know, but it works with it. It boots, and it is the OS that I used to dump/flash the bootrom. It has some glitches though, I must admit.

Did you installed your Ventura with another GPU? If so, you need to re-run the root patches every time you do that - you can't change GPUs with OCLP without re-applying the root patches since the patches are tailored for the GPU you installed OCLP with and drivers for all other GPUs are removed from macOS.

Go back to the GPU you installed it, undo the root patches, install the RX 560, re-do the root patches.
When I installed ventura, I did it with that gpu. Should I try with another one? (I have an nvidia GT 120) I will try with it and post the result here.

Tha problem I face is that I cannot even go into the installation process with oclp. When I try booting form the usb, the screen goes black.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Many thanks for your help, man.

I don't know, but it works with it. It boots, and it is the OS that I used to dump/flash the bootrom. It has some glitches though, I must admit.

When I installed ventura, I did it with that gpu. Should I try with another one? (I have an nvidia GT 120) I will try with it and post the result here.

Nope. Install a fully supported Mojave with the RX 560 and make sure that it works.

Tha problem I face is that I cannot even go into the installation process with oclp. When I try booting form the usb, the screen goes black.

Too many things can go wrong, take some steps back and be sure that you have a working Mac Pro with Mojave before trying anything else.

Is useless and a complete waste of time to try an unsupported macOS release if you don't have Mojave running perfectly.

Reactions: Raphaël10

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Nope. Install a fully supported Mojave with the RX 560 and make sure that it works.

Too many things can go wrong, take some steps back and be sure that you have a working Mac Pro with Mojave before trying anything else.

Is useless and a complete waste of time to try an unsupported macOS release if you don't have Mojave running perfectly.
Ok; I'll do that and I'll let you know the results. I'll do it probably this weekend, since I'm kind of despairing right now with this issue.
Million thanks once again

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024

Hi again:
I finally gathered all the material needed for the installation: a fresh usb stick and a SSD pci.
I used my laptop (high sierra, never used it with OCLP) to create a mojave installer in the usb, and the process ended ok.
I then went to my mac pro to install it and I got the same results: the installer started to load, but up to a point where it stopped, and all I got was a black screen. The computer was still running, though. I tried it twice and I got stuck at the same point. Never made it to the installer menu.
What is your opinion?
Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi again:
I finally gathered all the material needed for the installation: a fresh usb stick and a SSD pci.
I used my laptop (high sierra, never used it with OCLP) to create a mojave installer in the usb, and the process ended ok.
I then went to my mac pro to install it and I got the same results: the installer started to load, but up to a point where it stopped, and all I got was a black screen. The computer was still running, though. I tried it twice and I got stuck at the same point. Never made it to the installer menu.
What is your opinion?
Thanks

Do you have another METAL GPU to test it?

Also, with the GT120, do you can install High Sierra successfully?

Did you verified the RTC battery voltage?

Last edited:

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Do you have another METAL GPU to test it?
I have another RX 560; this one is not flashed so it does not show the boot screen. However, it is the one that came with the machine when I bought it, and used to work ok.
All I get is a black screen; nothing ever shows up
Also, with the GT120 ,do you still can still install High Sierra successfully?
I have 2 GT 120. They work perfectly with other machines. With this one, however, all I get is a black screen. I never get a gray screen or an installation menu.
Did you verified the RTC battery voltage?
It reads 2.94.

I have tried all of the above swapping the gpu's to the different pcis slots, and I get the same results.
I can boot the high sierra installer with the flashed RX 560, but it does not recogniza the pci ssd. (does this make sense?)

This is drving me totally crazy :(
I really appreciate your help.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have another RX 560; this one is not flashed so it does not show the boot screen. However, it is the one that came with the machine when I bought it, and used to work ok.

I have 2 GT 120. They work perfectly with other machines. With this one, however, all I get is a black screen. I never get a gray screen or an installation menu.

It reads 2.94.

I have tried all of the above swapping the gpu's to the different pcis slots, and I get the same results.
I can boot the high sierra installer with the flashed RX 560, but it does not recogniza the pci ssd. (does this make sense?)

Depends, could be several things, like a defective PCIe slot or even some issue with the enumeration of the PCIe devices.

You gonna need to take same steps back. Right now you should put this PCIe SSD issue to rest and try focus in making it work with the Apple GPUs you have.

Get a spare disk and nuke it, install 10.6.4 to 10.12.6 to the disk with another Mac. After that remove all SATA disks including the DVDs from the defective one, all PCIe cards, install a GT120 and see if you can boot.

You could also use the same GT120 you used to install, test it to be sure that is working perfectly.

Crazy and unexplainable malfunctions are the most difficult to solve and the ones that take all your patience to find.

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Depends, could be several things, like a defective PCIe slot or even some issue with the enumeration of the PCIe devices.

You gonna need to take same steps back. Right now you should put this PCIe SSD issue to rest and try focus in making it work with the Apple GPUs you have.

Get a spare disk and nuke it, install 10.6.4 to 10.12.6 to the disk with another Mac. After that remove all SATA disks including the DVDs from the defective one, all PCIe cards, install a GT120 and see if you can boot.

You could also use the same GT120 you used to install, test it to be sure that is working perfectly.

Crazy and unexplainable malfunctions are the most difficult to solve and the ones that take all your patience to find.

Thanks so much for your support, man.
I have installed Mavericks on a different mac pro in a new ssd with a GT120. The installation was smooth and the machine works and boots perfectly.
I then plugged the ssd and the gt120 to my computer, disconnected eveything else (except for the optical drive, which I don't know how to). The computer boots, I get the apple logo, and after a while, screen goes black again :( The computer is still running, but the screen won't react t anything.
The annoying thing is that with the RX560 it boots. Lighting fast, BTW.
Any ideas?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks so much for your support, man.
I have installed Mavericks on a different mac pro in a new ssd with a GT120. The installation was smooth and the machine works and boots perfectly.
I then plugged the ssd and the gt120 to my computer, disconnected eveything else (except for the optical drive, which I don't know how to).

Just disconnect the cable from the back of the DVD drive(s), if you don't know how, Apple Technician Guide have pictures.

The computer boots, I get the apple logo, and after a while, screen goes black again :( The computer is still running, but the screen won't react t anything.
The annoying thing is that with the RX560 it boots. Lighting fast, BTW.
Any ideas?

Did you confirmed that the display is working perfectly? Some displays, this happens with all Apple Cinema displays with the external PS brick, when the power supply is becoming defective it only works for a short time and then the display becomes black then after sometime shutdown, the display works again…

Also, check if the CPU tray works with another Mac Pro and replace the RTC battery, 2.94V is barely still enough voltage for the RTC to work, but when the voltage drops below 3.00V the battery will have a sudden death.

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Just disconnect the cable from the back of the DVD drive(s), if you don't know how, Apple Technician Guide have pictures.
Thanks; I just got it.
Did you confirmed that the display is working perfectly? Some displays, this happens with all Apple Cinema displays with the external PS brick, when the power supply is becoming defective it only works for a short time and then the display becomes black then after sometime shutdown, the display works again…
The display is perfect, AFAIK. It's only a couple of years old, and when I boot with the radeon it never goes black. Never gave a problem before.
Also, check if the CPU tray works with another Mac Pro and replace the RTC battery, 2.94V is barely still enough voltage for the RTC to work, but when the voltage drops below 3.00V the battery will have a sudden death.

I'll get a battery and replace it, just in case.
One question: Is it possible to use my processor tray inside a 4,1 flashed to a 5,1? (like the one you reconstruted the bootrom a few months ago) I tried the other way around (a processor tray of one of those computers inside my case to test if the machine booted) and the fans went crazy. I'm thinking about buying another 5,1 and just swap the processor tray, but if it works inside a 4,1 I'll try with it first.
Another question: what would be your guess of what is going on? Why does the computer boot with the radeon but not with the gt120? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks; I just got it.

The display is perfect, AFAIK. It's only a couple of years old, and when I boot with the radeon it never goes black. Never gave a problem before.

I'll get a battery and replace it, just in case.
One question: Is it possible to use my processor tray inside a 4,1 flashed to a 5,1? (like the one you reconstruted the bootrom a few months ago) I tried the other way around (a processor tray of one of those computers inside my case to test if the machine booted) and the fans went crazy.

For tests, sure, but the fans will work full RPM while powered on when testing with a mid-2010/mid-2012.

You can't work with that.

I'm thinking about buying another 5,1 and just swap the processor tray, but if it works inside a 4,1 I'll try with it first.

No one likes to sit besides a jet engine preparing to take off. You need a CPU tray + backplane combo.

Another question: what would be your guess of what is going on?

Lot's of things could be wrong, no clue yet.

Why does the computer boot with the radeon but not with the gt120? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Some defects like one of the PCIe lines defective or a blown SMD fuse on the backside of the backplane could cause this behaviour.

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
For tests, sure, but the fans will work full RPM while powered on when testing with a mid-2010/mid-2012.

You can't work with that.

No one likes to sit besides a jet engine preparing to take off. You need a CPU tray + backplane combo.
Thanks a lot man. I'll follow your instructions and I'll get back to you.
On last thing. I probably didn't express myself clearly or I didn't understand you or both: if I got a mid-2010 mac pro and plug in my processor tray (also a mid-2010), will it work ok or will the fans go nuts? I have an option to get one very cheap (with only one processor, though) and if this may solve the problem, I would go for it.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks a lot man. I'll follow your instructions and I'll get back to you.
On last thing. I probably didn't express myself clearly or I didn't understand you or both: if I got a mid-2010 mac pro and plug in my processor tray (also a mid-2010), will it work ok or will the fans go nuts?

This happens with defective CPU trays/CPUs (like when a dual CPU tray have one defective Xeon) or when you pair a CPU tray/backplane that have different firmware versions, this is called SMC mismatch:

• an early-2009 backplane must be paired early-2009 CPU tray - both require the SMC 1.39f5 version to work correctly.
  • a mid-2010/mid-2012 backplane must be paired a mid-2010/mid-2012 CPU tray - both require the SMC 1.3911 version.

CPU trays and backplanes require the same SMC firmware version or the fans go full RPM. The SMC firmware is not upgrade-able. You can use a mismatched pair for short diagnostic tests, but is not viable to work with a mismatched pair.

I have an option to get one very cheap (with only one processor, though) and if this may solve the problem, I would go for it.

Sure, test first and confirm, but if the CPU tray is really cheap you can buy it anyway and have a spare.

Reactions: crjackson2134

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
This happens with defective CPU trays/CPUs (like when a dual CPU tray have one defective Xeon) or when you pair a CPU tray/backplane that have different firmware versions, this is called SMC mismatch:

• an early-2009 backplane must be paired early-2009 CPU tray - both require the SMC 1.39f5 version to work correctly.
  • a mid-2010/mid-2012 backplane must be paired a mid-2010/mid-2012 CPU tray - both require the SMC 1.3911 version.

CPU trays and backplanes require the same SMC firmware version or the fans go full RPM. The SMC firmware is not upgrade-able. You can use a mismatched pair for short diagnostic tests, but is not viable to work with a mismatched pair.

Sure, test first and confirm, but if the CPU tray is really cheap you can buy it anyway and have a spare.

Hi again. I got today a mid 2012 mac pro, tested it... And I got exactly the same results. I made all possible combinations with all the hardware just to get stucked at the same point everytime.
So now, I guess, everything points to a problem with the screen, as you mentioned in an earlier post. I cannot possibly imagine that I have 2 computers with the exact same problem.
I will plug a new one tomorrow and let you now. But if that's the case, I would be really pissed off. It's a LG 29" display I bought new 5 years ago for nearly 300€. I can't believe it died so fast.
I'll get back to you.
And thanks so much for being there.

Last edited:

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Hi @tsialex :

Just a quick update with my advances.

1. I got a new screen, HDMI, and most of the issues were resolved:
a. The computer boots with Mavericks + GT 120 and everything seems Ok
b. I can boot OCLP Ventura via USB, and I get to the installation screen.
c. In both situations, the screen never goes black, which was the biggest problem up to this point

2. Some issues remain, though:
a. The PCIe SSD where I had Ventura installed doesn't show up at boot screen and doen's boot at all either (irrespectively that I boot normally or via EFI with the OCLP USB)
b. When I try to reinstall Ventura on that SSD, the process starts, it seems to work, but when the first progress bar ends it reboots and, instead of continuing the process (as it happened with all the previous installations), starts again in the welcome screen for installing Ventura. The SSD wasn't nuked, since I wanted to keep the data (see below)

3- Regarding my screen:
a. Both HDMI-ins have issues: screen goes black in process 1a and 1b. With the Radeon process 1a goes OK (that was what drove me so nuts), but process 1b goes to black screen to never go back. On the gray boot screen with GT120 on 1a, the HD names show very blurry; at first I thought it was in chinese (I'm very short-sighted), but it is only as if they were being displayed in very low res.
b. DP-in works fine, and I can replicate all the situations in points 1. and 2. satisfactorily

What I plan to do now is to make a fresh Ventura USB with OCLP, nuke the SSD and try to reinstall. I didn't do that before because I wanted to keep my data, but I have it backuped so I guess I could use migration assistant to recover it after installation.

And here come my questions:

1. Is my plan of action sound?

2. I'm now the happy owner of 2 mac pro 5,1: my original one (mid 2010, 2x6-core) and one mid 2012 (only 1 processor). What configuration should I keep? Back plate 2012+double processor tray or BP 2010+double processor tray (the original one)? Is there a way to know which is in better shape? The bootrom you recostructed a week ago, lives in the backplate or in the tray?

3. Regarding my screen: Is it normal that HDMIs fail together but the DP works? Is it fixable? Shold I get a new one?

4. Should I keep Mavericks as my rescue SO or should I install a High Sierra, now that I (presumably) can?

As usual, I would never be able to thank you enough all the help you are giving me.
Regards

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi @tsialex :

Just a quick update with my advances.

1. I got a new screen, HDMI, and most of the issues were resolved:
a. The computer boots with Mavericks + GT 120 and everything seems Ok
b. I can boot OCLP Ventura via USB, and I get to the installation screen.
c. In both situations, the screen never goes black, which was the biggest problem up to this point

2. Some issues remain, though:
a. The PCIe SSD where I had Ventura installed doesn't show up at boot screen and doen's boot at all either (irrespectively that I boot normally or via EFI with the OCLP USB)
b. When I try to reinstall Ventura on that SSD, the process starts, it seems to work, but when the first progress bar ends it reboots and, instead of continuing the process (as it happened with all the previous installations), starts again in the welcome screen for installing Ventura. The SSD wasn't nuked, since I wanted to keep the data (see below)

Maker/model of the PCIe SSD?

3- Regarding my screen:
a. Both HDMI-ins have issues: screen goes black in process 1a and 1b. With the Radeon process 1a goes OK (that was what drove me so nuts), but process 1b goes to black screen to never go back. On the gray boot screen with GT120 on 1a, the HD names show very blurry; at first I thought it was in chinese (I'm very short-sighted), but it is only as if they were being displayed in very low res.
b. DP-in works fine, and I can replicate all the situations in points 1. and 2. satisfactorily

What I plan to do now is to make a fresh Ventura USB with OCLP, nuke the SSD and try to reinstall. I didn't do that before because I wanted to keep my data, but I have it backuped so I guess I could use migration assistant to recover it after installation.

And here come my questions:

1. Is my plan of action sound?

Not for me. I wouldn't try anything unsupported before making it work PERFECTLY with Mojave.

You can't jump steps here.

2. I'm now the happy owner of 2 mac pro 5,1: my original one (mid 2010, 2x6-core) and one mid 2012 (only 1 processor). What configuration should I keep?

Difficult to say, dual CPU trays have a considerable power draw that for some applications is completely useless. For people with solar or a very low energy price the considerations are different from someone where the energy costs considerably more.

mid-2012s are a lot better hardware wise than the two earlier Mac Pros, with several corrections applied like the better/more resilient SPI flash memory, for example.

Back plate 2012+double processor tray or BP 2010+double processor tray (the original one)? Is there a way to know which is in better shape?

I'd start with a visual inspection, look for oxidation/damages/etc.

The bootrom you recostructed a week ago, lives in the backplate or in the tray?

BootROM is stored in the SPI flash memory of the backplane. You will need to do the same for the new to you Mac Pro.

3. Regarding my screen: Is it normal that HDMIs fail together but the DP works? Is it fixable? Shold I get a new one?

HDMI is a lot more problematic than DP, especially for non standard resolutions, like 1366x768, 1440x900 or 1980x1200.

Also passive adapters can become problematic in some scenarios.

4. Should I keep Mavericks as my rescue SO or should I install a High Sierra, now that I (presumably) can?

Mojave.

Mavericks have no support for APFS, High Sierra APFS support is incompatible with recent APFS revisions of current macOS releases. High Sierra can even damage Monterey and newer disks.

As usual, I would never be able to thank you enough all the help you are giving me.
Regards

:)

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base

It reads 2.94.

Hi there,

I came across your post here. You mentioned above, you have a flashed RX560? This means, your GPU has a Mac EFI Rom and was modified by someone. This means you shall have the original Apple boot screen in white color and not the black screen from OCLP? Can you confirm that, that you see the WHITE boot screen with that GPU?
I mentioned this, because if you have the white boot screen, you have a different installation option with newer MacOS versions that you would not have if you'd run a non flashed GPU.
This can play a role, because the installation steps for flashed GPU's can be slightly different compared to regular OCLP procedures.
Please check out the link below to see the install procedures for Flashed GPU's:

https://www.macvidcards.eu/installation-guides

Hope this helps

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Maker/model of the PCIe SSD?

Samsung 970 EVOPlus NVMe M.2, mounted on a Silverstone card

Not for me. I wouldn't try anything unsupported before making it work PERFECTLY with Mojave.

You can't jump steps here.

Mojave installed and runs perfectly!! :D

Only one problem: I tried first installing in my "new" mid-2012 and on the installation screen it told me that I had to update the firmware pressing the power button for a while after shutdown. I did nothing since enough problems I have right now. I then switched to my mid-2010 and the installation worked flawlessly.

Question: should I proceed with the firmware update for the mid-2012?

Difficult to say, dual CPU trays have a considerable power draw that for some applications is completely useless. For people with solar or a very low energy price the considerations are different from someone where the energy costs considerably more.

mid-2012s are a lot better hardware wise than the two earlier Mac Pros, with several corrections applied like the better/more resilient SPI flash memory, for example.

I'd start with a visual inspection, look for oxidation/damages/etc.

I planned to switch to the mid-2012, but I encountered the above problem. if it can be solved, I will certainly go for it.

BootROM is stored in the SPI flash memory of the backplane. You will need to do the same for the new to you Mac Pro.

Perfect. I will pm you to fix that issue once I have the other one running since I'm interested in switching to mid-2012

HDMI is a lot more problematic than DP, especially for non standard resolutions, like 1366x768, 1440x900 or 1980x1200.

Also passive adapters can become problematic in some scenarios.

Hope the DP works at least for a few years.

Mojave.

Mavericks have no support for APFS, High Sierra APFS support is incompatible with recent APFS revisions of current macOS releases. High Sierra can even damage Monterey and newer disks.

I now have it!! :D
What should I do next? I would love to go back to Ventura.

Thanks^2!!

116iniesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Hi there,

I came across your post here. You mentioned above, you have a flashed RX560? This means, your GPU has a Mac EFI Rom and was modified by someone. This means you shall have the original Apple boot screen in white color and not the black screen from OCLP? Can you confirm that, that you see the WHITE boot screen with that GPU?

If I press option on startup, I go into the gray screen. If not, I go into the black OCLP.

I mentioned this, because if you have the white boot screen, you have a different installation option with newer MacOS versions that you would not have if you'd run a non flashed GPU.
This can play a role, because the installation steps for flashed GPU's can be slightly different compared to regular OCLP procedures.
Please check out the link below to see the install procedures for Flashed GPU's:

https://www.macvidcards.eu/installation-guides

Hope this helps

I'll check the link and come back if I have doubts.
Many thanks for your help and time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.