Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biomair

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2020
Hello, I am using macpro 2012 12core 5,1 and i am using singel m.2 nvme 500GB, now i buy from OWC accelsior 4m2 i need this for os system i put new x2 evo plus 500GB each my question how to steup this i have to copy from my singel m.2 the system or start fresh installing catalina ?

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
It's always helpful if you have a signature that explains what your system is, and what macOS you're runing.

Just put your existing single M.2 NVMe 500GB into the OWC Accelsior 4M.2. If you have Mojave installed as your boot OS then go through the process of installing OpenCore and then installing Catalina. If you already have Catalina installed, then you may need to check that your OpenCore setup will continue to work, and no doubt you'll need to re-bless the EFI mount point. Maybe head over to the OpenCore thread to ask questions there about it.

flyproductions

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2014
It's always helpful if you have a signature that explains what your system is, and what macOS you're runing.
Post says, he has a 2012 5,1. If he is booting of NVMe now, means he has to have bootrom 144.0.0.0.0. So OS should be Mojave at least.

...and in this case he does not need OpenCore nor installing Catalina (which i would still strongly recommend to avoid on a productively used system) to get things set up. Mojave’s Disk Utility should be more than sufficient. Why make things (a lot) more complicated than they need to be?

Only question is, if he prefers performance (which means Raid 0) or data security (which means Raid 1).

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Post says, he has a 2012 5,1. If he is booting of NVMe now, means he has to have bootrom 144.0.0.0.0. So OS should be Mojave at least.

...and in this case he does not need OpenCore nor installing Catalina (which i would still strongly recommend to avoid on a productively used system) to get things set up. Mojave’s Disk Utility should be more than sufficient. Why make things (a lot) more complicated than they need to be?

Only question is, if he prefers performance (which means Raid 0) or data security (which means Raid 1).
First BootROM that have bootable NVMe support is 140.0.0.0.0 and you can boot any supported macOS version with 14x.0.0.0.0, back to 10.6.8. macOS NVMe support starts with Sierra for 4KB/sector blades and High Sierra for 512bytes/sector blades. At best, you can deduce that for bootable NVMe support the macOS release is Sierra or newer.

Reactions: JedNZ

flyproductions

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2014
First BootROM that have bootable NVMe support is 140.0.0.0.0
Sure it's 140.0.0.0.0 and not 144.0.0.0.0. Sorry for that!

...and sure you can go back to Snow Leo after updating the firmware. But how likely would it be anybody really doing this? I think i am even one of few still staying at HS after updating to 144.0.0.0.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.