Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
hmm he def wants the 24gb ram but none will be available for awhile - beginning of June. Im guessing because they are fresh off production with the new m3 cpu?
No need as most games will run on 16gb with no issue. 24hb is just money wasted in this case as the game wont take advantage of the extra RAM. 16gb/1TB is more than enough, sometimes the right thing to do is say no...

Q-6

Reactions: unWoke_inLA

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
No need as most games will run on 16gb with no issue. 24hb is just money wasted in this case as the game wont take advantage of the extra RAM. 16gb/1TB is more than enough, sometimes the right thing to do is say no...

Q-6
If macOS keeps getting newer games more RAM could be useful with higher texture settings (though that always depends on what resolution you play at).

Reactions: unWoke_inLA

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
will run on 16gb with no issue. 24hb is just money wasted
For my experience, I see a clear difference on my PCs with 8 GB, 16GB and 32GB (Work computer, laptop, desktop). I get that I'm comparing oranges to apples, because of how windows/PCs deal with ram but my point is that ram is one of the components that can easily stifle performance.

Given that there's no way to upgrade ram on macs, you're better off in the long run to get more then 16. Macs are overly expensive as it is, I think its wise to spend a little more and ensure you don't paint yourself into a corner.

Queen6

macrumors G4
For my experience, I see a clear difference on my PCs with 8 GB, 16GB and 32GB (Work computer, laptop, desktop). I get that I'm comparing oranges to apples, because of how windows/PCs deal with ram but my point is that ram is one of the components that can easily stifle performance.

Given that there's no way to upgrade ram on macs, you're better off in the long run to get more then 16. Macs are overly expensive as it is, I think its wise to spend a little more and ensure you don't paint yourself into a corner.
For a child's notebook to play games on I dont see it a factor, which is really more the point I was thinking as 16gb is easily enough.

Q-6

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
If macOS keeps getting newer games more RAM could be useful with higher texture settings (though that always depends on what resolution you play at).

Normally I agree since macOS dedicates about 66% of the unified memory to the GPU so 10,5 GB of 16 could be a problem but since MBA only has 10 GPU cores it can't handle AAA games at max settings so 16 should be enough.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
The new MacBooks make gaming relatively impossible. There's no BootCamp support on the M-Series MacBooks, so you're out of luck unless use Parallels, but that also has its limits. He's better off buying a gaming laptop like a Razer Blade or an Alienware. If he loves the MacBook, he'll probably really like a Razer Blade laptop.
6533938_sd.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He's better off buying a gaming laptop like a Razer Blade
I've owned a small number of Razer laptops over the years - I still have a 2019 model sitting next to me. On one hand they're great products. I love the design, the look and feel. They're top of the line gaming laptops to be sure.

BUT being top of the line gaming laptops, particularly being considered boutique laptops, they're outrageously expensive. I don't think its a good use of funds, particularly for a teenager. Other downsides are the aggressive fan noise, due to the high performance CPU/GPUs.

A very popular and relatively inexpensive option is the Lenovo Legion series of laptops

Reactions: Queen6

unWoke_inLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2023
I've owned a small number of Razer laptops over the years - I still have a 2019 model sitting next to me. On one hand they're great products. I love the design, the look and feel. They're top of the line gaming laptops to be sure.

BUT being top of the line gaming laptops, particularly being considered boutique laptops, they're outrageously expensive. I don't think its a good use of funds, particularly for a teenager. Other downsides are the aggressive fan noise, due to the high performance CPU/GPUs.

A very popular and relatively inexpensive option is the Lenovo Legion series of laptops
HP had a 16" gameing laptop on sale for 1k at Costco. We spent $2700 on his macked out 15" MB air with apple care so I'll def go cheap on the lame gaming windoze Peeeee Ceeeeee

unWoke_inLA

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2023
and lots of new games being ported to mac, they might not be what his friends are playing but they are quality games for him for sure.

Queen6

macrumors G4
and lots of new games being ported to mac, they might not be what his friends are playing but they are quality games for him for sure.
Been a dream for many a year. Want to game save on the headache get a PC. We're a gaming family, only one does Mac is me as I can. Save your coin or burn it, the communities advise is simple - Windows PC for good reason and this is a staunch Apple forum...🤔

Q-6

• Sad
Reactions: Irishman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.