Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
The M1 Ultra is impressive but Apple has some tricks up it’s sleeve and my guess is that the Interconnect Fabric that allows the merging can be expanded to connect 4 M1 Ultras together. Forming the

M1 Ultra Quad

Reactions: Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
The M1 Ultra is impressive but Apple has some tricks up it’s sleeve and my guess is that the Interconnect Fabric that allows the merging can be expanded to connect 4 M1 Ultras together. Forming the

M1 Ultra Quad

Yeah, there’s no reason to assume that that ability is limited to two M1 Ultra dies. Or 4 for that matter, assuming that you have enough cooling in it.

Reactions: TheRealAlex

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Yeah, there’s no reason to assume that that ability is limited to two M1 Ultra dies. Or 4 for that matter, assuming that you have enough cooling in it.
Yeah that little interconnect fabric Caked Ultra Fusion just doesn’t go one way it will also go sideways allowing the connection of 4 M1 Max CPU’s

And that’s the problem, it’s just a M1 Max chip x4 theres nothing new it still lacks proper support for WiFi 6e and HDMI 2.1 as well as Bluetooth 5.2 for Lossless Audio.
So I gotta wait for the M2 Ultra.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Isn't the Ultra merely two Max's connected together? Therefore would a quad Mac Pro be four x 2 Max's or 2 x 2 Max's?

Reactions: Irishman

Appletoni

Suspended
Mar 26, 2021
Yeah that little interconnect fabric Caked Ultra Fusion just doesn’t go one way it will also go sideways allowing the connection of 4 M1 Max CPU’s

And that’s the problem, it’s just a M1 Max chip x4 theres nothing new it still lacks proper support for WiFi 6e and HDMI 2.1 as well as Bluetooth 5.2 for Lossless Audio.
So I gotta wait for the M2 Ultra.
Yes lots of things are missing. That’s very disappointing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.