Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoetzPhil

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2019
- Is there a huge difference in screen real estate between the 24 and 27 inch? Is it really worth spending more

After I worked 1 year with DaVinci Resolve on a 27" iMac and now having a 24" iMac for 4 month only, I personally miss the wider display much.
So I guess my next monitor will be one that gives me even more width than the 27" had.

coffeym

macrumors member
May 16, 2016
UK
Only warning re. iMac - I have found IPS glow to be very prominent, moreso than on the Studio Display. This is probably down to the edges/corners of a 24" display being closer to content (e.g. this thread on macrumors) than on a 27" display. Likely only annoying if you're in a darker room, but I find it distracting.

seb2195

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
United Kingdom
Thanks for everyones help with this. I ended up pre-ordering the Studio Display for store pickup tomorrow.

The decision came mostly down to the users in this chat mentioning about being spoilt with the 27inch of real estate and missing the size when moving to smaller screens and the possibility that the screen would outlive the usefulness of the iMac. Although iCloud sync sounds incredibly useful, I still maintain that one device reduces the probability of missing information between machines. Excited to pick this up tomorrow and get it all set up and working!

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
Hi Seb... thought you might like to hear my take on the Studio Display. This morning I went over to Best Buy and checked it out and it is Awesome. Just a great display with refined aesthetics. The stand was the standard one and I'd go with that unless you need the versatility of the adjustable. You're going to love it!

I will note that it looks really small in comparison to the 27" iMac. They have it hooked up to a base M1 mini because
the Studio Max/Ultra are only being shown in select Best Buys. I imagine that will change with time.

Reactions: seb2195

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
A 27in. Studio Display would look small next to a 27in. Intel iMac given the thinner bezels and lack of chin on the Studio. I felt the 24in. iMac looked somewhat small on display even though the screen us larger than my 21.5 iMac and physically the 24 is only marginally larger overall in height and width than 21.5.

Reactions: seb2195

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
Hi Warped,
Yup, it's the lack of the chin and big bezels that makes the Studio Display look so small.
My first take on seeing it was, is that really a 27" display? o_O

I'm coming from a 27" iMac perspective which is what's on my desk. Those with multiple monitors won't be surprised.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
From what I seen from unboxing of the 27" Studio Display it looks really elegant.
My desk will have space for 2 of those with the Mac Studio as it doesn't have a lot of unnecessary bezels.
Well, Apple still knows to create the want factor.

Reactions: Blaine

seb2195

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
United Kingdom
Picked the display up today and got it all set up. All I can say is WOW!

really appreciate everyone’s help and recommendations, here it is:

Attachments

• 3EF40CC4-61D4-41CF-B05E-51818A6224AE.jpeg
    3EF40CC4-61D4-41CF-B05E-51818A6224AE.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 519

glaze

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2022
After I worked 1 year with DaVinci Resolve on a 27" iMac and now having a 24" iMac for 4 month only, I personally miss the wider display much.
So I guess my next monitor will be one that gives me even more width than the 27" had.
Try using the display setting to scale the iMac's resolution to use more space, but pull the iMac a little closer to you. I really doubt you'll miss the 27" machine.

Attachments

• 21145C5D-93AA-4B10-992C-B9BF62D7B750_1_201_a.jpeg
    21145C5D-93AA-4B10-992C-B9BF62D7B750_1_201_a.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 176

GoetzPhil

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2019
Thats a nice idea only the higher resolution is too high, everything is getting too smal then.Makes me wonder why Apple didnt make a step between standart and that - I guess with 5k resolution it would easily be possible.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
It'll be interesting to see how I get on. I'll be moving to a 27" Studio display from a Samsung 34" UW display. This is for my 2018 Intel Mac Mini. Hoping to get a new Mac Mini when (if) they update the higher spec model to Apple Silicon. I was going to stick with the 34" UW but we've just bought the 24" iMac for my wife and I was blown away by the difference in screen quality.
Plus I'll be able to get rid of the speakers, webcam, etc off the desk...

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Does anyone have any hands-on impressions of how the 24” iMac and Studio Display panels compare?

I’ve heard a lot that the Studio Display actually looks better than the 27” iMac but I’d be interested to know if the iMac has same level of calibration/refinement.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Does anyone have any hands-on impressions of how the 24” iMac and Studio Display panels compare?

I’ve heard a lot that the Studio Display actually looks better than the 27” iMac but I’d be interested to know if the iMac has same level of calibration/refinement.
I used to have a 24“ M1 iMac that replaced a 27“ Intel iMac. Despite going to a smaller display I was happy to use the 24“ iMac but in some occasions I missed the bigger display, especially when working with multiple apps and documents.
Now I got the Mac Studio and the Studio Display and wouldn’t want to go back to 24“. The main reason is that the 24“ iMac has a chin, so the difference to the Studio Display in overall volume is not that big. The difference though in usable display real estate is significant. Add to that the better panel of the 27“ Studio Display with better color stability and viewing angles.
I had taken a picture of the iMac next to the Studio Display. As you can see, the difference in volume isn’t that big. When I originally got my 24“ iMac I was sure that the 27“ iMac it was replacing was too big for me, but the real reason for this thinking was the chin and overall volume of the 27“ Intel iMac. Now, with the Studio Display I do not feel at all that it’s too big. It’s actually the perfect size.

Attachments

• 49010BD4-5CC0-4D21-961C-B970EDF5F00F.jpeg
    49010BD4-5CC0-4D21-961C-B970EDF5F00F.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 549

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I used to have a 24“ M1 iMac that replaced a 27“ Intel iMac. Despite going to a smaller display I was happy to use the 24“ iMac but in some occasions I missed the bigger display, especially when working with multiple apps and documents.
Now I got the Mac Studio and the Studio Display and wouldn’t want to go back to 24“. The main reason is that the 24“ iMac has a chin, so the difference to the Studio Display in overall volume is not that big. The difference though in usable display real estate is significant. Add to that the better panel of the 27“ Studio Display with better color stability and viewing angles.
I had taken a picture of the iMac next to the Studio Display. As you can see, the difference in volume isn’t that big. When I originally got my 24“ iMac I was sure that the 27“ iMac it was replacing was too big for me, but the real reason for this thinking was the chin and overall volume of the 27“ Intel iMac. Now, with the Studio Display I do not feel at all that it’s too big. It’s actually the perfect size.
So the panel itself, the viewing angles/contrast are all better on the Studio you would say?

iso667

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2016
Hi guys,

sorry to recover this post but I am on the same boat.

I'm currently using a Mac mini M1 16GB/256SSD as my main computer attached to an Apple Thunderbolt Display 27" I've been using for the last 10 years.

I paid 1.200€ for that monitor but it is still rocking today. I bought another one for my mom and one of them has like a liquid stain inside and the Thunderbolt cable stopped working but the other one is like new and works flawlessly even with 10 years of age. The other one it's usable but with some caveats like using an external Thunderbolt cable.

I was going to buy the new Studio Display to replace the defective Thunderbolt Display and keep the Mac mini as my computer. But given the price tag I can buy an iMac 24" for the same price that includes the same computer, a trackpad, a magic keyboard with Touch ID.

Also, I am buying a new Mac mini to use it connected to my Main TV as a headless server. I know the Mac mini is not best in class for this role (server), but I have a wide webcam connected to the Mac mini so I use this setup also for video-conferences with family, and we mostly use FaceTime for this. Something like a Portal TV but without Facebook spying me :)

So given all that, the Mac mini M1 8GB and 256GB was 647€ last week so I pulled the trigger and bought one at Amazon.

I can buy the Studio Display for 1.600€ (student discount, it's currently listed at 1.779€ here). But if I sum up the Mac mini and the Studio Display, it will be 2.247€. At that price point I can also get the iMac with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD or upgrade it in any other way.

I think the same that has been said in here. My last monitor lasted for 10 years and I am currently using it, so the Studio Display could be the same. But the iMac it's not going to last more than 3-5 years probably, and I am used to change my main computer every 3-4 years.

Given that, how could you justify the purchase of the Studio Display vs the iMac. And my question to OP is, are you really happy with the monitor and the decision?

I think the way to "justify" it is this, you could use the monitor for 10 years but maybe not the iMac, and then in 4-5 years you will pay again for a new whole iMac, but with the monitor you can go with the Mini/Studio in next iterations and save some money.

Thanks!

BR!

seb2195

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
United Kingdom
I am very happy with the decision I made to purchase the studio display and would make the same decision again based on my experience for the past 6 weeks.

To put some context into the use of this, I work full time from home from this display and own a MacBook, iPad and iPhone. I have paired it with the Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse (yes I use the mouse and trackpad at the same time).

The screen is big, bright and a joy to use. I especially like the aesthetic on the desk and the simplistic one cable setup into the laptop.

In comparison to the iMac, I went through the same thought process as yourself and came to my decision based on the following points:
- The Studio Display is 132% of the iMac screen (based on purely physical panel size). iMac: 1,522cm^2, Studio Display: 2,010cm^2. Looking at them both together in store, the difference is huge. I really appreciate the space and the iMac 24 feels cramped in comparison now. I visited a store yesterday to purchase a watch strap and played around with them.
- My upgrade cycle is usually 2-3 years. Although I have a MacBook Pro and probably won't be using all the power. I can see myself picking up a MacBook Air in a couple of years to go with something more lightweight. I don't want my hardware and screen linked in this way and forcing me to upgrade down the line. Especially seeing as M1 is an 18 month old chipset at this point. I envisage the studio display lasting me at least 2 cycles of my planned 2-3 year upgrade pattern.
- Apple seemingly have removed the Target Display Mode with no intention of bringing it back. As soon as I decide I want newer hardware, I need to purchase an entirely new iMac, instead of being able to keep the screen and swapping hardware in a Mac mini/laptop.

Overall it was a pretty tough decision but I also think I the Studio Display sounds like it would be the way to go for you too. I guarantee you will enjoy using it, it is a fantastic product.

Reactions: pplfn and iso667

iso667

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2016
I am very happy with the decision I made to purchase the studio display and would make the same decision again based on my experience for the past 6 weeks.

To put some context into the use of this, I work full time from home from this display and own a MacBook, iPad and iPhone. I have paired it with the Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse (yes I use the mouse and trackpad at the same time).

The screen is big, bright and a joy to use. I especially like the aesthetic on the desk and the simplistic one cable setup into the laptop.

In comparison to the iMac, I went through the same thought process as yourself and came to my decision based on the following points:
- The Studio Display is 132% of the iMac screen (based on purely physical panel size). iMac: 1,522cm^2, Studio Display: 2,010cm^2. Looking at them both together in store, the difference is huge. I really appreciate the space and the iMac 24 feels cramped in comparison now. I visited a store yesterday to purchase a watch strap and played around with them.
- My upgrade cycle is usually 2-3 years. Although I have a MacBook Pro and probably won't be using all the power. I can see myself picking up a MacBook Air in a couple of years to go with something more lightweight. I don't want my hardware and screen linked in this way and forcing me to upgrade down the line. Especially seeing as M1 is an 18 month old chipset at this point. I envisage the studio display lasting me at least 2 cycles of my planned 2-3 year upgrade pattern.
- Apple seemingly have removed the Target Display Mode with no intention of bringing it back. As soon as I decide I want newer hardware, I need to purchase an entirely new iMac, instead of being able to keep the screen and swapping hardware in a Mac mini/laptop.

Overall it was a pretty tough decision but I also think I the Studio Display sounds like it would be the way to go for you too. I guarantee you will enjoy using it, it is a fantastic product.
Thank you seb for the detailed answer :) I think you’re right and I am more an studio display guy ;) I hope my Thunderbolt Display fails soon so I can justify the expense on the new one !

BR!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.