Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Hi Folks, I was on the verge of ordering a new M2 mini kinda 'maxed' out (24Gb/1Tb) for 1450 (all prices in euros). Now, some other options have emerged.
A base Studio (M1) for 1800 (very good price for a studio, since in EU we have VAT).
A base Studio (M2) for 2000.

I'm leaning toward the base M1 Studio, since for just 350 bucks more w.r.t. the mini it will give me a more capable processor, 32gb, and many many more ports.

But I'm very sensitive to noise, and the legend has it that the M1 mac studio is quite noisy even at idle.

Here is what I'd like to know from owners of the Studio:
- Has the noise situation improved with OS's updates?
- If not, is there any workaround (like 3rd party apps) to make the computer more silent?
- Is the M2 Studio a real progress, wrt the M1, about noise-related issues?

Thanks!
Hi, I listened in a few shops to what was exposed there, but noise was not notable, may be wrong environment to test.
So, I bought an M1 and put it on a woodblock of 6 cm high, to reduce dust intake and to be able to add a lock.
Over 8 months with several updates I can hardly hear any fan noise.
I think that some Studios are just better than others and a bad one should be returned to the shop right away.
;JOOP!

Reactions: balnazzar

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Two types of noise issues with the Mac Studio

1. The loudness of the fan
2. The high pitch whine/whistle.

As someone that has had very very VERY bad opinion of the Mac Studio from the M1 Ultra version, #1 didn't even bother me. I never heard a loud fan. However, #2 was always an issue. The minute I turned on my Mac Studio, I could hear a faint very very VERY quiet whine/whistle. And it was always there 100% of the time the computer was on. It is so faint, yet so incredibly annoying. I would have preferred a #1 issue instead with a deeper "whoosh" over a high pitch sound that was on the verge of being physically harmful. I have had to cover my ears some times.

I replaced my M1 Ultra Mac Studio 5 times, I was on my 6th one and just gave up trying to fix it. I needed to get my work done, not chat with Apple all day about this issue.

I was extremely worried and was just about ready to buy the Mac Pro JUST for the #2 issue above. Yet I decided to give the Mac Studio one more try ONE MORE UNIT. So I got the M2 Ultra Mac Studio. I have no issues. #2 is completely gone, and #1 is still not an issue. I do feel more heat coming through the back of the M2 Mac Studio vs the M1 Mac Studio. But I have yet to hear the fans. I still hear my main AC more than my Mac.

I am still frustrated with Apple on how the M1 variant was handled. A product that is $6,000 (my config) being exchanged 5 times should not have this issue I was facing. But at least I am happy now with the M2 one. We will see how things look when I upgrade to probably M4.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Two types of noise issues with the Mac Studio

1. The loudness of the fan
2. The high pitch whine/whistle.

As someone that has had very very VERY bad opinion of the Mac Studio from the M1 Ultra version, #1 didn't even bother me. I never heard a loud fan. However, #2 was always an issue. The minute I turned on my Mac Studio, I could hear a faint very very VERY quiet whine/whistle. And it was always there 100% of the time the computer was on. It is so faint, yet so incredibly annoying. I would have preferred a #1 issue instead with a deeper "whoosh" over a high pitch sound that was on the verge of being physically harmful. I have had to cover my ears some times.

I replaced my M1 Ultra Mac Studio 5 times, I was on my 6th one and just gave up trying to fix it. I needed to get my work done, not chat with Apple all day about this issue.

I was extremely worried and was just about ready to buy the Mac Pro JUST for the #2 issue above. Yet I decided to give the Mac Studio one more try ONE MORE UNIT. So I got the M2 Ultra Mac Studio. I have no issues. #2 is completely gone, and #1 is still not an issue. I do feel more heat coming through the back of the M2 Mac Studio vs the M1 Mac Studio. But I have yet to hear the fans. I still hear my main AC more than my Mac.

I am still frustrated with Apple on how the M1 variant was handled. A product that is $6,000 (my config) being exchanged 5 times should not have this issue I was facing. But at least I am happy now with the M2 one. We will see how things look when I upgrade to probably M4.
... could it be that you are 'blessed' with super hearing?
Could it be that you are bothered by high frequencies that others can not hear?
Can you hear dog whistles?

When I was a student we did sound experiments and I appeared to be the only one who could hear up to 20KHz.
Fortunately there was no Mac Studio around then, and today my hearing has probably become impaired.
Lucky me ....
;JOOP!

Reactions: George Dawes

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I made a quick video.

You can see my iPhone on my desk with the microphone over the edge and my Mac Studio Ultra mounted below it. I have an Alfred automation that closes all the apps, empties the trash and then shuts down the computer.

At about five seconds you can hear the sound of the trash emptying and then the computer shuts down (the light goes off) at 23 seconds. The video runs for another twenty seconds so you can compare the levels before and after.

It's fairly quiet in here, it's just coming up to 22:00 local time so there's not much noise. I have a window open so there's ambient sound from outside, I can hear two clocks ticking and there's a mechanical time switch under the desk. If I whack the volume up on the video, I can just hear a ticking from the clock.

I don't claim the level here is accurate but what's clear is that there's very little relative change, perhaps 1dB between the computer running and the computer switched off.

That's how quiet my Mac Studio is. As I've said many times, it's inaudible. It's effectively silent.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I made a quick video.

You can see my iPhone on my desk with the microphone over the edge and my Mac Studio Ultra mounted below it. I have an Alfred automation that closes all the apps, empties the trash and then shuts down the computer.

At about five seconds you can hear the sound of the trash emptying and then the computer shuts down (the light goes off) at 23 seconds. The video runs for another twenty seconds so you can compare the levels before and after.

It's fairly quiet in here, it's just coming up to 22:00 local time so there's not much noise. I have a window open so there's ambient sound from outside, I can hear two clocks ticking and there's a mechanical time switch under the desk. If I whack the volume up on the video, I can just hear a ticking from the clock.

I don't claim the level here is accurate but what's clear is that there's very little relative change, perhaps 1dB between the computer running and the computer switched off.

That's how quiet my Mac Studio is. As I've said many times, it's inaudible. It's effectively silent.

That's thru a table and phone. The Mic needs to have a direct line to the sound source if you want to prove it's so quiet!

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
That's thru a table and phone. The Mic needs to have a direct line to the sound source if you want to prove it's so quiet!
As I clearly said, it’s effectively silent. I’m not saying the Studio is actually silent, in earlier posts I say that when it was on the desk, I could just hear the fans but with it under the desk, it’s effectively silent. The microphone on the bottom of the phone is hanging over the edge of the desk so it’s very close to the Studio.

From my perspective, ie above the desk, it’s silent.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
As I clearly said, it’s effectively silent. I’m not saying the Studio is actually silent, in earlier posts I say that when it was on the desk, I could just hear the fans but with it under the desk, it’s effectively silent. The microphone on the bottom of the phone is hanging over the edge of the desk so it’s very close to the Studio.

From my perspective, ie above the desk, it’s silent.
The microphone is pointing up, it would have to be pointing down to pick up anything below it. It may be silent, but I wouldn't know from your test...

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
The microphone is pointing up, it would have to be pointing down to pick up anything below it. It may be silent, but I wouldn't know from your test...
The microphone is here on an iPhone. It’s not pointing up at all.

HKAMCbw.jpg

ChrisRRR

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
I had an M1 Studio Max for 3 days when it first came out. The noise was unbearable.
Received an M2 Studio Max on Saturday. It is practically completely silent.
So silent I was initally worried the cooling system was not running at all, but I can feel a gentle breeze when holding my hand close to the rear vents.

I couldn't be any happier.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I had an M1 Studio Max for 3 days when it first came out. The noise was unbearable.
Received an M2 Studio Max on Saturday. It is practically completely silent.
So silent I was initally worried the cooling system was not running at all, but I can feel a gentle breeze when holding my hand close to the rear vents.

I couldn't be any happier.
For me it is clear from all contributions above:
1) APPLE finally managed to produce silent M1's,
2) (an old rule of thumb) do NOT be the first to try out new hardware or software.

(I waited a year before buying my M1 and am still delaying to upgrade to Ventura;
I know it: I'm asocial: I let (you and) others take all the pain).
;JOOP!

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
Just read the first post of this thread for an in-depth look with some objective readings: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...a-little.2391615/?post=32210760#post-32210760

Does the M2 whine? -Mine does @ 1350 RPM occasionally. But I honestly don't care because when I'm using it at that level of performance, it's in the daytime and everything is louder anyway. So get the M2 Mac if you care about noise - it's sonically much better. Otherwise get the M1 and save some cash /End of thread.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
The microphone is here on an iPhone. It’s not pointing up at all.

HKAMCbw.jpg
Yes, I know where it's at and the test still doesn't prove anything to me. But whatever, you said you can't hear it, and I would expect you couldn't given where you have the studio -- unless it had the whine, but you'd have noticed that no matter where it was.

JayTylerSKL

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2023
I bought M2 Max Mac Studio 38 Core 64GB Ram 1TB SSD ... There is intermittent coil whine ... not related to fan, I have tried changed fan speed. The high pitched whine is independent of fan speed. It is not related to CPU or GPU loads, it just come and go every few sec. It not loud at all but I put the unit on the desk and I can hear it. So I exchanged new unit with same spec and will have the same whine sound, intermittent.
this is the recording ... from where I am sitting I can't hear any fan noise, only high pitched sound can be heard. I want to know any M2 users have similar sound from their unit?

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I bought M2 Max Mac Studio 38 Core 64GB Ram 1TB SSD ... There is intermittent coil whine ... not related to fan, I have tried changed fan speed. The high pitched whine is independent of fan speed. It is not related to CPU or GPU loads, it just come and go every few sec. It not loud at all but I put the unit on the desk and I can hear it. So I exchanged new unit with same spec and will have the same whine sound, intermittent.
this is the recording ... from where I am sitting I can't hear any fan noise, only high pitched sound can be heard. I want to know any M2 users have similar sound from their unit?
I don't hear any high pitched sound.
Are you sure it's the M.Studio itself?
;JOOP!

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
I hear louder background bass noise like a fan, but not a high pitch whine.

Reactions: elfamosisimoJON
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.