Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
Except that doesn't exist in any form, not even as a rumour.
for now, and since the OP is not around here anymore, he already bought it, or he doesnt need it ASAP
So M2 Max will be the way to go if he waits couple of months

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
It scales linearly. 32 GPU cores are one third faster than 24 cores.

If in doubt, always chose the cheaper option!
Vector processing, the core thing a GPU does, can easily scale exponentially depending on workload FWIW

mr_roboto

Suspended
Sep 30, 2020
Vector processing, the core thing a GPU does, can easily scale exponentially depending on workload FWIW
That's complete nonsense. The total compute throughput of a GPU is roughly:

(number of cores) * (vector width) * (clock frequency)

If you add more cores and rerun this calculation, you get linear scaling, not exponential. The only workload-to-workload variance is that some tasks may scale sub-linearly, because perfect scaling with core count is sometimes hard.

Vector processing is not superlinear magic. If you think it is, you probably don't understand what it actually does.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
You can ALWAYS justify waiting on the next upgrade, but you will miss out on what's available now. Of course you should research if a release is imminent, but otherwise, get the tool for the job and move on
for now, and since the OP is not around here anymore, he already bought it, or he doesnt need it ASAP
So M2 Max will be the way to go if he waits couple of months

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Already bought it. Very happy with it.

There would be far less agonizing over this decision if Apple resolved the sound issue (with a statement) and also made something in-between the mini and the Studio. I was very happy with the Studio after I bought one but it took a long time to make the decision after trying to make the mini do what I wanted it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.