Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitheor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2017
A Coruña (Spain)
I have had a Studio M1 Max for some time now and I am delighted with it. I had only used the rear ports, which work without any problems, but recently I tried to use the front ports and found that it does not recognize any devices.

I have tried various dongles as well as using the port to charge the magic trackpad with Apple's own cable and it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Can you think of anything I could try to diagnose if it is a hardware failure of the computer?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Agree with above, because the front ports should work, just are just USB 3 instead of Thunderbolt 4.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd try the various "resets", such as NVRAM (I think this used to be called "PRAM"), and an SMC reset.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"How do you reset NVRAM on a Mac Studio?"

I don't have an m-series Studio or Mini.
I have a 2018 Mini.

On my Mini, one holds down Command+Option+P+R while pressing the power button.
And you need to KEEP HOLDING THOSE KEYS DOWN for about 10 seconds, until the Mac reboots (for a second time, I think).

Can be tricky to make this work.
(I could be wrong as to whether this works on the m-series CPUs -- try it)

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Can you think of anything I could try to diagnose if it is a hardware failure of the computer?
Long shot - but make sure that the plugs are going in fully.

First time I used the front ports on my Studio they appeared not to work until I found that I hadn't pushed the plug fully home. There's a slight "click" that you can feel when it goes in properly. I'm not talking about a huge amount of force (don't damage the sockets!) - just a little bit firmer than some other sockets, and enough to fool me until I got used to them.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
"How do you reset NVRAM on a Mac Studio?"

I don't have an m-series Studio or Mini.
I have a 2018 Mini.

On my Mini, one holds down Command+Option+P+R while pressing the power button.
And you need to KEEP HOLDING THOSE KEYS DOWN for about 10 seconds, until the Mac reboots (for a second time, I think).

Can be tricky to make this work.
(I could be wrong as to whether this works on the m-series CPUs -- try it)
This works only on Intel Macs. Command Option P R doesn't work on Silicon. ;)

Reactions: Fishrrman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.