Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rschultz101

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2022
PWM on fan controller, could be it.
note: I'am very noisy sensitive, especially to syncronous aka fan noise.

did built a few low noise cases,.. and also noticed, that in the below 1500rpm, when the fan controller is using pwm, aka pulse , and transferse the noise as a little jolt . the motor circuit , can have a little whine. there are only a few good fans that, do not have it pronounced. this would need to be hacked. as there is no remedy software wise.

in the past monitors had buzzing too.

if possible, up the fan speed, till the buzz is reduced , and live with higher airflow noise level .

note: thinking of buying a mac studio, but with this noise, it's a issue for me.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Here I put together a video that hopefully demonstrates the whining problem clearly.
(Tbc the actual regular fan airflow noise is barely audible at all, the recording makes it seem WAY louder.)

That is awful. I would return it.

Reactions: cincymarch

peryhypen

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2020
My Ultra is silent compared to that. It isn’t, but the noise demonstrated in that video is unacceptable.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Not true. There have been people with Ultra configurations that have reported the same issues.
If I turn my dead a certain direction and listen really closely, I can sort of hear a small whine, but if I put a think piece of foam on top of it, I then can no longer hear it. (Ultra)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Please let us know of the outcome. Hope you got a better one this time.

Apologies for the delay in updating but it's been rather hectic so wanted to wait until things were settled.

So...

I got my replacement M1 Max Mac Studio after several weeks only to find it had almost the exact same whining issue. I tried it for a couple of days but decided it wasn't acceptable either. I began to arrange yet another replacement but the prospect of yet another faulty unit put me off.

Instead I decided to full on return it and get my money back this time. Really didn't want to have to do this because it's been disruptive and if not for this critical flaw it's a great capable machine.

I have now returned the M1 Max Studio, and traded in my 2019 Mac Pro.

The M1 Ultra Mac Studio doesn't work for me even if it might not have the whining issue because it's over €1000 more expensive for no extra I/O or useful performance, the multicore of the M1 Max is already more than I need. I would rather have more Ram and storage, so it's bad value to me.

What I've decided to do it source an M1 Mac Mini to use temporarily for a few months, then when the Apple Silicon Mac Pro comes out (hopefully with more to offer over the M1 Ultra Mac Studio than just more multi core) I'll sell the M1 Mini can go all out on a Mac Pro again.

I had intended to keep my Mac Pro 7,1 longterm in 2019 but staying on Intel just doesn't seem wise now. I already notice the big difference in general performance between the Studio and the Mac Pro 7,1. I'm happy to overspend on a top tier Mac if it's a platform with a future. I probably would have even quite happy with the Mac Studio if it hadn't whined and the whole process has been insanely annoying to be honest.

So TLDR:
- Replacement M1 Max Mac Studio whined too
- Sent it back and got a full refund this time
- Getting a used M1 Mac Mini to use for now
- Planning to go all out and buy the Apple Silicon Mac Pro when it comes out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.