Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechieTaco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2023
Considering switching back to a Mac from my current PC setup. I have 4 27" 1080p displays and do casual streaming/gaming, mainly World of Warcraft. From all my research an M2 Max Mac Studio is going to be my best option.

1. It's the first Mac in the line up that can support 4 displays natively based of the chipset.
2. It's the best performance per dollar for what I need - streaming/gaming.
3. It just looks cool.

My question, does anybody have any real world experience with the M2 Max Mac Studio and multiple displays and or gaming? Are there any other recommendations that I'm over looking for what I need?

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
I am on PC and considering doing same though I am probably waiting for M3 Mac Studio and I would be driving two 5k 49" ultraswides and a 27" 2k display. I know there are some issues with certain cables with the ultrawides but you are probably fine with that.

Apple can have misc issues with random displays so this thread is good read but TLDR version is you might need third party app like switchresx or BetterDisplay if you have display issues https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ment-rinse-and-repeat-10-times-a-day.2375245/

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I drive two 32" 4K displays from my M2 Max Studio - a Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 via HDMI (since it is MiniLED HDR) and an LG via TB4 to DisplayPort and they work fine.

TechieTaco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2023
I drive two 32" 4K displays from my M2 Max Studio - a Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 via HDMI (since it is MiniLED HDR) and an LG via TB4 to DisplayPort and they work fine.
Odyssey monitors are insane! My buddy has a G9. Went to a LAN Party with him years ago and it looked like a spaceship compared to the rest of us.

I am on PC and considering doing same though I am probably waiting for M3 Mac Studio and I would be driving two 5k 49" ultraswides and a 27" 2k display. I know there are some issues with certain cables with the ultrawides but you are probably fine with that.

Apple can have misc issues with random displays so this thread is good read but TLDR version is you might need third party app like switchresx or BetterDisplay if you have display issues https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ment-rinse-and-repeat-10-times-a-day.2375245/
Thank you for the link! The conversion of USB-C to HDMI had me a little concerned but I didn't think anything of it since it won't be very demanding per port.

Mootosashi

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2023
Odyssey monitors are insane! My buddy has a G9. Went to a LAN Party with him years ago and it looked like a spaceship compared to the rest of us.

Thank you for the link! The conversion of USB-C to HDMI had me a little concerned but I didn't think anything of it since it won't be very demanding per port.
Have you ordered your M2 Max Mac Studio?

If yes, can you share your experience so far, especially in aspect of WoW

M2MaxMan

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
I'm using a M2 Max Mac Studio with four displays and they are: one Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display and three Apple 27" Cinema Displays. They all have the connecting cords and working without any problems at all. I do get sound from the 27" Thunderbolt Display and the Mac Studio to whichever I prefer to use.

TechieTaco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2023
Have you ordered your M2 Max Mac Studio?

If yes, can you share your experience so far, especially in aspect of WoW
I haven’t ordered the Mac Studio yet. I’m trying my best to hold off until later this year when they (hopefully) release either the M3 or M4 variant. Once I do get one, I’ll definitely report back with my experiences.

Regarding WoW, I haven’t seen any examples of performance on the Mac Studio itself, but I found a few videos on the M2 Max MacBook Pro. I figured the studio variant would be pretty similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.