Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddebonis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2023
Posting in case anyone has encountered this before.

I've used a spare bedroom as a home office for the past three years. The power outlets are on a AFCI breaker (which are notorious for being very sensitive and 'nuisance tripping'). I've use multiple macbooks, a mac mini, and now a mac studio in here. The breaker never tripped until I got the Mac Studio.

When I remove the Mac Studio, the breaker is fine (lamps, monitors, space heater, laser printer, other apple computers all run without issue).

This morning I started using a UPS (CyberPower SL700U) and it may have fixed the issue... no trips all day.

An electrician is arriving tomorrow, but is anyone familiar with this?

Cheers.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Kind of sounds like with the space heater and laser printer you may have been already very tight on draw in that room to begin with, especially if you’re in an old house like mine.

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
An electrician is arriving tomorrow, but is anyone familiar with this?
Yes, I have encountered a similar issue. The solution was to have an electrician replace the breaker, which after eighteen years of service had just become unstable. No more trips since replacing it.

ddebonis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2023
Electrician just replaced the breaker with a non-AFCI one by SEIMENS. It's within Oregon code to do this if there is "nuisance tripping." He thought that the computer could be pulling just enough power in standby mode to trick the sensitive AFCI breaker into thinking there is an arc.

Reactions: b17777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.