Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
Just turned on my Mac Studio M1 Max today.

I definitely can hear my Mac Studio from the same location in my desk setup where my 2019 Mac Pro could not be heard.

I would say the Mac Studio is quiet enough, but I will have to work on moving it a bit. The 2019 Mac Pro had me spoiled I guess.

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
Good to hear! Made in China or Malaysia?

IMG_1114.jpeg

Reactions: H-P.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Imagine having a high pitched ringing sound constantly when the thing is running. It is very annoying to most people, and it was actually giving me headaches.
Imagine this being probably a defect. My Mac Studio makes no such sound, no matter what. I also have other friends that also say their Mac Studios do not make any sounds.
The ATP podcast also mentions that the Mac Studio makes a sound that is max 15db loud. This is more than what a 27" iMac had, but still not really something people will hear, under any circumstances. A high pitched sound would be louder than 15db, so I guess your device has some kind of defect.

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
I have the Mac Studio with the M1 Max and I hear nothing, even when my room is quiet. Maybe I am not that sensitive, but I guess someone could be annoyed by any sounds if he/she would be looking for them..
Returning the Mac Studio because of that is pretty ridiculous, unless of course it points to a defect (which I doubt).
If I found out that other people's Mac Studio is truly dead silent, I would definitely return mine which is not dead silent. 100% would want that experience if its an option.

Having said that, I can live with the annoying high pitched albeit quiet sound its making now.

Reactions: George Dawes

[maven]

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2020
There are no "dead silent" Mac Studios. There are just very different levels of interpretation of what silent means, many different environments with different amounts of ambient noise, as well as different sensitivities for perceiving those sounds.

Some Mac Studios have a tonal component to the usual low-level, white fan-noise (at roughly twice the fan RPM frequency) that due to its characteristics is a lot more perceivable (and I'd classify as a defect / unintentional, depending on the level). It's not relegated to just models made in China (or Malaysia), it's been observed in units from either assembly location.

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
There are no "dead silent" Mac Studios. There are just very different levels of interpretation of what silent means, many different environments with different amounts of ambient noise, as well as different sensitivities for perceiving those sounds.
Thanks Maven. That helps.

My 2019 Mac Pro was inaudible unless I placed my ear against it, and so that's the only reason the Mac Studio noise level stands out for me now.

My Mac Studio doesn't make any more noise than my Intel Mac mini with eGPU made.

Although having said that, there's no way I'd be cool with setting this under my monitor like in the pictures. Its going under the desk in the corner.

BSPBSP

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2018

Some Mac Studios have a tonal component to the usual low-level, white fan-noise (at roughly twice the fan RPM frequency) that due to its characteristics is a lot more perceivable (and I'd classify as a defect / unintentional, depending on the level). It's not relegated to just models made in China (or Malaysia), it's been observed in units from either assembly location.
Exactly this. I am contemplating an exchange at the moment to see if I might get lucky. Does anyone know if I have to return the machine I have first? The delivery time would be in March, so I would be without a machine until then...

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
I moved mine under the desk into the corner, we'll see how that goes.

I'm glad I didn't sell my 2019 Mac Pro.

I'm glad there's a return period.

H-P.

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2015
Cross-post, but interesting article: https://soyacincau.com/2022/03/23/a...o-is-actually-still-being-assembled-in-china/

Apparently some parts of the Mac Studio are made in Malaysia, but still assembled in China. It seems that the lable "Made in Malaysia" is used by Apple to avoid tariffs shipping to some countries from China. In the end, it seems, it shouldn't make a difference whether it says Malaysia or China when it comes to fan noise or coil whine.

Apple2GS

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2016
US of A
Has any Mac Studio developed the high pitched whine after running for a few days? Or has it always been from day 1 and never develops over time?

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Just a crazy thought...
Could this have something to do with age. Those who can't hear it are older and those who can are younger.

Younger people can hear hitch pitched sounds that people over a certain age can't hear.

I doubt it's this, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

BSPBSP

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2018
Has any Mac Studio developed the high pitched whine after running for a few days? Or has it always been from day 1 and never develops over time?
From the very first second I turned it on.
First minute I turned it on as well. Also, mine is connected to a PFC sine wave ups, so I can rule out any issues with incoming power/frequency. I will try another outlet later today just to see.
Just a crazy thought...
Could this have something to do with age. Those who can't hear it are older and those who can are younger.

Younger people can hear hitch pitched sounds that people over a certain age can't hear.

You might be right, I have always had very sensitive ears and am not what most would consider old, which is why I might hear it.
I would hope though that when something like this gets developed/tested, they use proper equipment and not human ears subject to aging to find such frequencies ;)

Reactions: Apple2GS

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Just a crazy thought...

It could be, but I doubt it. I am 52, and double checked with my 14 year old. I cannot hear my MP6,1 and he does not hear it either. Even when the fan ramps up, all we hear from the MP6,1 is moving air. I don't have the Studio and I am not planning to buy it, I can't stand noise on my desk.

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
Just a crazy thought...

I don't think so. My M1 Mac minis are silent. My 2019 Mac Pro is silent. Something is definitely going on with the Mac Studio.

• Love
Reactions: George Dawes

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
Just a crazy thought...

Some studio's have the "whistle" and some don't.

image.png

image.png

Last edited:

BSPBSP

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2018
Report: 3 different outlets, with and without PFC UPS, whine is still present, maybe different frequency/oscillation, but that could be imagination.
At this point, I am certain it is the Mac and my partner hears it too, so I am at least not going crazy, haha.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
@Traverse The same for me, but I decided to keep it. He works very well and I need it !
my plan is to have it changed under warranty to get a quieter machine.

I am still debating myself, got mine on Monday and am hearing the same as @Traverse and @Vaibye recorded (albeit a ever so slightly different pitch.
Also, for what it's worth, mine, which also makes the sounds, was made in Malaysia since it was a custom config and was shipped later, so it seems like the country might not make a difference after all...

I never thought the country made a difference. Given how many variables there are in office surroundings and individual‘s hearing it’s hard to gauge whether this is a design issue, a variance issue, or a software optimization issue. I considered keeping it and maybe trying to exchange it under Apple Care in the future but I really HATE the hassle of returning items and if it turns out this is never “fixed” and it’s just a lottery I don’t want buy and return until I find a good unit. That is uncomfortable and wasteful to me.

I am actually starting to wonder if it is the fans at all or some interference with the vents on the back.
Since there are that many tiny holes compared to the Mac Pro for instance, I can imagine that there might be some frequency resonance there because of the openings. In that case, not even changing the fan might fix the problem.

It’s the fans. I listed carefully as I put the computer to sleep and woke it up. It makes a very loud wine as the fans start up (which is fine) but then the whine comes back randomly. It must be something in the fan motor or dampening.

I can’t believe how many of these things make the high pitched sound. Is anyone who is returning a Studio buying a 16” MacBook Pro instead?

That’s the route I think I may go even though I don’t need a 2nd laptop.

It may just be puffing, but the Apple Store contact asked me why I was returning it and I explained the issue briefly and they responded “that interesting, we’ve gotten a few of these now. Not sure what’s going on.“

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.