Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
A swiss youtuber says you ca hear the fan constantly, but it's very quiet.
With the micro near the fan you can hear it here: (it's a M1 Max with 64 RAM)

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Unfortunately, both are reviews of an Ultra model. While I don't wish a bad unit on anyone, I hope this isn't an "Ultra silent / Max noisy" situation. I guess we'll see as more people start receiving their units. I would sadly, pay the extra for the 48-GPU ultra if this does turn out to be the case.
Be interesting to find if the 2 pound heavier copper cooling with the Mac Studio w/M1 Ultra also makes it more quiet then the lighter aluminum cooling involved Mac Studio w/M1 Max?

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

Apple2GS

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2016
US of A
Just got the base model Studio and I'm surprised that the fans are constantly running. Even with no applications started and the system idle. My 2018 Mac Mini and MacBook M1 Pro are silent without noticeable fans noise unless under heavy load.

Seems odd that a M1 in a laptop doesn't need the fans constantly running but a desktop does. Maybe a software update will change this behavior?

Reactions: mburkhard

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Seems odd that a M1 in a laptop doesn't need the fans constantly running but a desktop does. Maybe a software update will change this behavior?
It's a new system, this is day one in customers hands. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple address it.

fisha

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006

Yeah, but a Max looks about 8x the size of a base m1, and the ultra 16x the size ... The shell of the laptop might dissipate heat from the the small chip, but not 16x that amount ... hence a fan for a basic flow of air to take the heat away.

Halbertus

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Unfortunately I seem to have the same experience as anyone else with their Mac Studio Max. I have been using it for about 2h and the fans are constantly audible. It is not terrible loud but clearly audible. Feels a lot like the Mac Pro 2013 or an iMac with spinning Hard drives.
For comparison I have used all of the following macs for several weeks. None was ever even noticeable.
- Mac mini m1
- MacBook Pro m1 Pro 16“
- MacBook Air m1

This is on the same level as my thrashcan Mac Pro.

Quiet Operation is very important to me. Got a little disappointed with the Mac studio so far

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Unfortunately I seem to have the same experience as anyone else with their Mac Studio Max. I have been using it for about 2h and the fans are constantly audible. It is not terrible loud but clearly audible. Feels a lot like the Mac Pro 2013 or an iMac with spinning Hard drives.
For comparison I have used all of the following macs for several weeks. None was ever even noticeable.
- Mac mini m1
- MacBook Pro m1 Pro 16“
- MacBook Air m1

Quiet Operation is very important to me. Got a little disappointed with the Mac studio so far
I have a 2013 Mac Pro (6 core, 16GB, D300 GPUs) and it is absolutely silent. I am surprised to read the number of comments from people who said the 2013 Mac Pro was noticeably audible.

Reactions: filmak and vddobrev

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
- Mac mini m1
- MacBook Pro m1 Pro 16“
- MacBook Air m1

If there isn't thermal throttling on intensive tasks I don't care. The fan noise of my old Mac Pro 5,1 is definitely louder.

Reactions: bobcomer

ufomism

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2022
If there isn't thermal throttling on intensive tasks I don't care. The fan noise of my old Mac Pro 5,1 is definitely louder.
I’m sure my 5,1 is louder but it sits on the floor under my desk… the Studio would be right in front of me.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I have a 2013 Mac Pro (6 core, 16GB, D300 GPUs) and it is absolutely silent. I am surprised to read the number of comments from people who said the 2013 Mac Pro was noticeably audible.
You need an app that uses the GPUs. Then the fan takes off.

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Ok I have mine set up facing a wall. I can faintly hear the fans very quiet though. More like a very silent white noise. For me not distracting at all.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I bought a Mac Studio Max. It’s replacing a mid 2010 iMac running off an external SSD (a real trooper) and joining forces with my MBP 16 inch. Let me start off by saying that I've been so excited for the Studio. It's what I have wanted from Apple for a long time. From what I had read in the lead up to the Studio’s release, I knew there was going to be some potential fan noise. But I’ve got to be honest, at first I thought there was something wrong with my unit because its a constant, pretty annoying whirring sound even when under the most basic of use (using Notes with no other applications open). I'm finding it hard to gauge whether or not I'm being overly sensitive to the sound and noticing it more and more because of it, so I would love your thoughts on your own experiences with the Mac Studio Max fan noise.

Of course all of this is completely based on personal factors like the environment and surrounding noises, sound sensitivity, etc. I will add that my office is very quiet and that my Studio also has plenty of space around it to breathe. I’ve spent the last few hours doing some light web browsing and watching Youtube in Safari, and the fan noise has been apparent the whole time. To add to this, I didn’t think that when I lay on the couch 3 metres away from the Studio and watch a video on my iPad that I would still hear the the Studio in the background (whilst running no apps).

I don’t think we’ve heard from a lot of the big Tech YouTubers about this as they all mostly bought Ultras, of which use the copper heat sink over the aluminium found in the Max. I’ve heard a number of the tech YouTubers with the Ultra say that their units are near silent. I’m having a very different experience with my Max. I just really did not expect it to make more noise than my 2010 iMac (yes, the iMac could sound like a fighter jet occasionally under load but at least it wasn't a constant high pitched whirring sound)

I understand the design but his thing is always blowing quite a decent amount of cool air out the back and it almost seems unnecessary to me personally, given the amount of noise it makes. Other than that I love the Studio. Just curious if others have experienced the same thing?
Check Activity Monitor to try to isolate the process that is causing this. There could be a power bug that Apple will need to address with an update. Since the computer is new, it could have some gotchas.

Reactions: filmak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.