Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fumblerooskie

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2021
Interesting in that the professional video podcasters who make a living at this seem to be able to work with the Mac Studio's sound levels. Perhaps looking at their audio pickup gear would be worthwhile before making a rash decision.

Seems to me that a quick fix to deaden the fan sound would be cheap and straight forward to rig, with materials available at a big box home improvement store.

Given the sweet spot in which the Studio resides, if the noise is bothersome , I'd find a way to quiet it rather than give up after a couple of days with the machine. Apply some of the same creativity and innovation that you put into your work on the computer into the physical problem.

Jamooche

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
you can request a return and get an extra 2 weeks to mail it in, effectively extending your return period regardless of whether you decide to utilize it
Thanks for letting me know. I already cancelled everything. Dropping off the keyboard tomorrow. Not worth all the frustration. This was supposed to be an upgrade for my 2019 iMac what actually works fine but can be a little slow at times. I'll revisit this once there's more information and better comparisons. Only use these for a hobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
It’s pointless to measure ambient noise with an iPhone no matter the app you use. To get accurate results you need a RTA software like REW and a calibrated mic. As soon I get my Mac Studio M1 Max delivered, I will take measurements with my MiniDSP UMIK-2 mic calibrated by Cross Spectrum Labs and REW software.

Reactions: marstan

timothevs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Here's my experience, FWIW. I must say I was quite nervous about my base M1 Max after going through this thread. After picking it up today from the Apple Store, I was pretty sure I would be taking it right back if I heard anything more than a slight whisper.

I am glad to report that this M1 Max is quiet as a dormouse. And it isn't even me trying to give it a benefit of doubt. Over the past few hours I have been subjecting it to the rigors of image conversion, and video encoding. The cores were firing on all cylinders, but the fans remained silent. My HVAC made louder noise than the M1 Max.

So, it doesn't seem like something that afflicts all base M1 Max Studios. Whether one wants to take the gamble. Well that's up to them. In my case it worked out swimmingly.

Last edited:

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
We should all be using standard units to compare fan noise. I suggest using the Intel MBPs as standards of measure. Then we can all communicate clearly,

“How loud is your Studio?”

“It’s four units on the MBP scale.”

”Thanks!”

FYI - Drunk posting...

"Four units on the MBP scale" would be no more a REAL standard than "x hands high" for a horse...

dB is the standard, don't make it weird...! ;^p

Halbertus

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
I have max version and was considering returning it due to fan noise issues. However, I decided not to return it after doing a few tests today. I thought the fan speed was too high at idle and I manually set it to the lowest rpm at 1100 and the noticeable noise went away. Also, I did some video editing at the lowest RPM, but the CPU and GPU temperatures did not differ from the system automatic settings. Even when running the benchmark at the lowest fan speed, the maximum CPU temperature did not exceed 60 degrees celsius. I think Apple set the fan speed too high. If like me, you think noise is a problem, I recommended to lower the fan speed
What software did you use to reduce the rpm rom 1300 to 1100 on idle? I would like to try this on my machine as well.

Halbertus

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Of course it's correct, because it's a subjective matter. It depends on your hearing, workload, ambient noise and distance from the computer. It may be louder but that's because you can hear the loudness. :) What other M1 Mac are you comparing to?
From this perspective you are right, of course. But please don't be mistaken by the popular reviews. By the nature of this topic they also will be sharing their personal impressions only, which might not be the same for you. Never before have I been from such opposite opinion as the talented tech reviewers that I follow and respect.

The Mac Studio produces substantially more noise than any other M1 Mac. I took my M1 Mac mini, My 16" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro) and - of course - the fanless M1 Air for reference. In post 111 I compared to different machines I own or have owned.
This might not be an issue for most. In case you have a room with more ambient noise, your ears are not that sensible or maybe you just don't care about a little noise you will probably be fine.
To me it is a big issue unfortunately. I might return the device if I cannot get used to it during the return period.

Halbertus

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Maxtech did… about 1100-1300 most of the time on the Ultra it seems.
On my Mac Studio Max I get 1300 rpm in idle, which occasionally distracts and annoys me. (When it is not taxed I wish my machine to be silent.)

I now set up Macs Fan Control to constant 1100 rpm, which makes a night and day difference.
So far it also does not seem to heat up any components. Maybe this could even be a long term solution.

I am wondering if maybe the Mac Studio Ultra defaults to 1100 rpm on idle. This would maybe explain why the Ultra version is reported to be more quiet by some users.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-20 um 11.07.12.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-20 um 11.07.12.png
    459.6 KB · Views: 119

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
Maxtech did… about 1100-1300 most of the time on the Ultra it seems.
My Ultra fan runs at about 1325 +/- 5 rpm at idle. I ran Cinebench R23 multi-core test, 20-cores at 100% for 10 minutes and the fan went all the way up to 1344 rpm max. Yeah, a maximum increase of 24 rpm !!!

BTW, the Cinebench R23 score was 24,099 and 24,112 on the two runs.

So I'm guessing you have to really get the GPU's cranked up to increase the fan speed significantly above their idle speed.

The Power Manager Die Average temperature increased from 31C to 45C at the end of the 10 minute 100% CPU test. The PSMI Supply AC/DC Supply 1 temperature increased from 42C to 75C. I ran the test twice about 5 minutes apart and got virtually identical results.

All temperature and fan speed results from Macs Fan Control 1.5.11.

I have to put my ear about 12 inches or less from the side of my Mac Studio to hear the fan at all in a room as quiet as any I've ever been in. For all intents and purposes it is silent while I sit at my desk with it directly in front of me.

Last edited:

PianoPro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2018
On my Mac Studio Max I get 1300 rpm in idle, which occasionally distracts and annoys me. (When it is not taxed I wish my machine to be silent.)

I am wondering if maybe the Mac Studio Ultra defaults to 1100 rpm on idle. This would maybe explain why the Ultra version is reported to be more quiet by some users.
Nope, same 1300 rpm (actually 1325 +/-5) on my Ultra. The fan blade design may be different, or perhaps the air flow is altered somewhat since the cooling system is different between the Max and Ultra.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Is there an ifixit tear down of the ultra comparing to the max ?

be interesting to see the internal differences…

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Patrick wrote in reply 93:
"I don't think Apple will be able to change that in a software-update since the constant cooling is most likely needed for the integrated power supply."

That's why I prefer EXTERNAL power supplies, even with their hefty "power blocks". Less heat from inside the enclosure...

Reactions: Blaine and haruhiko

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I’ve got tinnitus so I doubt I could hear anything plus I’ll have it stuck behind a 4K tv and turned off at night

I think a lot of us just like a good moan .. I know I do ?

Vaibye

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2022
The Max version seems to have problems compared to the Ultra. lower the fan speed manually the annoying fan sound goes away. But a new high-pitched noise comes out. I want to return this and get a new ULTRA, but it has to wait 2 months from now. I regret that I didn't order the Ultra when it was first announced.

Halbertus

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
The Max version seems to have problems compared to the Ultra. lower the fan speed manually the annoying fan sound goes away. But a new high-pitched noise comes out. I want to return this and get a new ULTRA, but it has to wait 2 months from now. I regret that I didn't order the Ultra when it was first announced.
When lowering the fan speed from 1300 to 1100 rpm my Studio is a lot more quiet. I do not get a "new high-pitched noise". (or maybe I am not able to hear it, as I am already in my thirties ?)

Reactions: haruhiko

N30S

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2022
I don't have any DB measurings but a 14" MBP with an M1 Pro and the Mac Studio with an M1 Max (24G). If I put both on the same spot, right side of my desk and 1.5 meters away from me, I have to ramp up the fans of my MBP to around 3700RPM for it to create the same level of noise as the Studio generates while doing nothing. And even then, the noise of the MBP sounds 'nicer'.

You also have to push the MBP quite a bit for it to even reach those RPMs, normally you can't hear it at all. Unfortunately, I'm going to return the Studio.

• Sad
Reactions: Blaine and 0x2102

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Good thing there’s a 3m Thunderbolt cable coming, so people could place the Mac Studio far away from their ears.

Reactions: haruhiko

patrick.a

macrumors regular
May 22, 2020
Patrick wrote in reply 93:
"I don't think Apple will be able to change that in a software-update since the constant cooling is most likely needed for the integrated power supply."

That's why I prefer EXTERNAL power supplies, even with their hefty "power blocks". Less heat from inside the enclosure...
I agree. Apple does this with MacBooks and iMac M1. But I guess the power draw of the Ultra chip is too high for an external PSU with passive cooling and they didn't want to design a computer-box with another PSU-box next to it.

MacPro 7.1 with its internal PSU is dead silent and according to the feedback here Studio Ultra also seems to be better in this respect. So internal power supplies are not always a problem but maybe the cheaper cooling solution in the Studio Max is?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I had a noise issue with a Fruity iMac‘s internal HDD years ago. The drive had a annoying constant high pitched wine. I took it to a shop and paid to be told that the noise was normal. My solution was to have music playing when using it. Eventually I became accustomed to the wine and I was able to turn off the music.

Of course, if it’s interfering with audio recording then the that Mac needs some sort of sound dampening solution, needs to be relocated or returned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.