Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
I have a Mac Studio that I bought new shortly after it was announced. It’s been working fine until this morning, when I noticed it had shut off. I couldn’t get it to turn on. It’s on a power strip, everything else plugged into that has been working fine. Changed the plug on the power strip, still didn’t turn on. Unplugged the cable from the back of the computer for a few hours, then plugged it in again. Nothing. Held the power button down for 30 seconds. Nothing.

It seems good and dead. No idea why.

Unfortunately no Apple Store anywhere near me. I’m bringing it to the listed authorized non-Apple Store that was suggested to me on the apple website. Possibly it’s the power cord, although I can’t imagine that to be the case. If it’s not that, and they can’t fix it, I guess I’m sending it back to Apple?

Bummer.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You may have already tried this, but have you tried plugging the Studio directly into a wall outlet?

I'm going to guess that you're choices are pretty much limited to:
a. carrying it into an Apple Store
or
b. calling Apple Support and arrange to have it sent to an Apple repair facility.

One last-ditch thing you could try:
Hook up to ANOTHER m-series Mac via USBc, and try to revive it with Apple Configurator 2.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Just plugged directly into the wall. No joy. Will see what the authorized repair site says today, although I suspect it won’t be much other than to confirm that it’s dead. Then I either carry it to an Apple store, or ship to to get repaired.

I have to admit a bit disappointing, and kind of a pain.

Part of me hopes it just gets repaired and not replaced. Setting up the computer again is never enjoyable.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Will see what the authorized repair site says today, although I suspect it won’t be much other than to confirm that it’s dead. Then I either carry it to an Apple store, or ship to to get repaired."

If by "authorized repair site" you mean a "3rd-party service provider" (i.e. NOT Apple), my prediction is that you may come away unhappy.

If you want it fixed, I reckon you're going to have to visit a REAL Apple Store (or, send it back).

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
OP wrote:
"Will see what the authorized repair site says today, although I suspect it won’t be much other than to confirm that it’s dead. Then I either carry it to an Apple store, or ship to to get repaired."

If by "authorized repair site" you mean a "3rd-party service provider" (i.e. NOT Apple), my prediction is that you may come away unhappy.

If you want it fixed, I reckon you're going to have to visit a REAL Apple Store (or, send it back).

yes, this is my concern also. I brought it to the not-Apple store, they remarked, “Oh, we haven’t seen one of these before.” Followed by this side comment to the other guy behind the counter, “You know how to fix one?”

I’m ok leaving it with them for the night. (Hoping I don’t regret that). And plan to pick it up tomorrow to send to Apple.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
It wasn’t powering on at all. Hit the power button, no activity, no lights.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
I seem to remember apple care offering at home service for the Studio.
No Apple care, as I’ve never had an issue with a Mac desktop or laptop. At least not within the window that AppleCare would cover.

Rethinking that decision now for sure….

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
Interesting post in light of yesterday. I came down to the computer in the morning, hit the space bar to wake up Studio display and NOTHING. Tried again with the same result. I unplugged the monitor, let it unplugged for two minutes, and tried again - 3 little dots briefly at the bottom of the screen and then nothing. I powered the Apple Studio off and on and still no change. I was beginning to have visions of packing the thing up and carrying it back to the Apple Store, but instead I got out my cable and plugged the keyboard into the display. In a few seconds I hit the space bar again and the display came on. My keyboard had discharged although I swear I did not see any low battery warning in the last few days. Live and learn.

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
It seems good and dead. No idea why.
If you have a circuit in your home with an arc-fault protection breaker, the very thing you described can happen. I moved into a new home on June 28 and about a week later got around to setting up my computer. It would not turn on in the room allocated for an office, but would turn on in other rooms. My UPS also would not work. I called my electrician and he came that same day, providing me a quick answer.

An arc-fault breaker is different than a regular one in that it has a colored Test/Reset button. Colors are not standardized but Google shows there are yellow, green, white, purple and red ones.

HTH. Best of luck.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Apple usually gives out worst-case-scenarios on their delivery dates and will often beat them, so fingers crossed, you'll get your Studio back sooner than expected.

Hopefully, you have an iPad or another Mac that can keep you occupied in the meantime.

EmpiricalEE

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2021
Count me in the same basket. Only difference is that power loss occurred while using it. But then same story - dead as a door nail and Apple Store have put a new power supply on order.

Mine was a November 2022 purchase. M1 Max, 1TB, 64GB. Connected to two Thunderbolt/USB-C displays, a USB capture card and a couple of empty USB hubs.

Really surprisingly and highly inconvenient as a freelancer to lose your main PC. But hopefully Apple get it sorted quickly.

Reactions: b17777

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Wanted to add to this in case anyone sees this in the future. Same thing happened to my M1 Max Mac Studio where it wouldn't turn on.

Apple Store replaced the power supply which did not solve the issue. Then the bus bar which still didn't solve it. They had to replace the whole logic board for me, which really sucks having to reinstall everything.

Reactions: MacGarage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.