Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulchiu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Ordered March 17 and it was shipped May 30 from Shenzhen, but held for 3 days in Hong Kong.
78 days wait.

First tests were SSD speeds, and they were twice those from 2019 Mac Pro.
(both had the 8TB option)

Not too long ago, 3-4 years when 8TB SSD by themselves were over 20K USD.
now under 4K.

Will be benchmarking hard over the return period.

June 8

Add a lazy susan.

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
“after a loooooooong wait… it’s finally here!”

”You can't rush good wine. It has to sit. And when you finally drink it, it's the bomb. It's worth the wait.”

“Sometimes waiting is the hardest thing of all.”

“Delay is a bitter tonic, but it increases appetite.”

“Our willingness to wait reveals the value we place on what we’re waiting for”

I can actually go on for a while 🤓😎

paulchiu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
So you get your new Ultra and preliminary results are extremely good, but the headline of your thread is a complaint about the wait.

There's a 165 page thread about orders and delivery. Good that the rest of us haven't all started individual threads complaining about wait times. Unless you're a rare exception, Apple gave you a delivery window when you made your order. In other words, you knew what Apple's commitment was. If you didn't like the commitment, why did you make the order?

Indeed, by March 17th, when you made your order, China was experiencing a resurgence of coronavirus. China had, and has, a zero tolerance policy. You knew that, right? Or do you think that Tim Cook tells President Xi how to manage coronavirus in China?

It also isn't news that there's a freight backlog at Hong Kong airport that has been delaying shipments by 2-5 days. Hong Kong also had a resurgence of coronavirus. Yes, it started relaxing measures about three weeks ago. However, eliminating the backlog is probably not just a matter of adding more bodies on the ground. Why? Hong Kong is already the busiest cargo airport in the world. Air traffic control regulations limit the number of planes that can take off per hour for safety reasons. In any event, UPS doesn't have an unlimited number of aircraft to throw at the problem. Recently, the delay at Hong Kong airport has been as little as 2 days, which is a significant improvement.

Meanwhile, it's apparent to anybody who reads recent posts in the existing thread that Apple is making significant progress on increasing production and reducing delivery times.

Why do you think that you are so "special" that your complaint deserves an entire thread all to its own?

Sorry.

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
same spec i've ordered, have to wait until Aug for mine. Did you go for the 48 or 64 GPU option?
I would be interested to see the Photoshop Digiloyd becnmarks run on this if you could please. Mainly the DigiloydHuge and DigiloydSpeed1 tests.

Thanks

paulchiu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
same spec i've ordered, have to wait until Aug for mine. Did you go for the 48 or 64 GPU option?
I would be interested to see the Photoshop Digiloyd becnmarks run on this if you could please. Mainly the DigiloydHuge and DigiloydSpeed1 tests.

Thanks
64C. Sent me links to these tests and I’ll run them.

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
It tries to run actions, i found they failed on the batch set if i tried to run on an image that was too big. The huge and speed benchmarks worked fine though.

paulchiu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
It tries to run actions, i found they failed on the batch set if i tried to run on an image that was too big. The huge and speed benchmarks worked fine though.

Photoshop is not something I use my Mac Pro / Mac Studio for, still a tyro in the area of actions. Please let me know how and I will run them later.

paulchiu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
have you installed the actions?

I really don't know what I am doing with Photoshop, but it did run and these are the results on my 2019 Mac Pro.
I have not received my orders for Photoshop for the Mac Studio, so that will have to wait.

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 5.02.27 PM.png

paulchiu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
I'm building a custom base with hepa filter for cleaner airing, still waiting for my Studio though.
May not be necessary. I have now ran very intensive renderings in final Cut. Heavy numerical analysis for my trading platforms under Parallel Desktop 17, and benchmarks at the same time. Still, the fan is barely on and the chassis cool.

It’s really the OWC mini stack with the 18TB HD and 2TB SSD that’s getting hot, underneath.

I added the lazy Susan to separate the two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.