Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

50L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
I now have an Imac 27 inch 2017, and find it a waste of money to pay the €1700 for almost? the same 5K retina display like I now have​
I'm going to upgrade to the Mac studio, so I was just wondering, Can I use an LG C3 for 1K as a good monitor as a photographer? Would be awesome to hook my PS5 to the same screen as my Mac studio​

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
the C3 wont be as accurate with color as the Apple studio display or have the PPI.
Sadly your only other option is LG plastic POS 5k display or apples OMFG expensive 6k display.

The problem you will run into is apple has horrible wake issues when using HDMI or even thunderbolt with non apple display. so if you willing to have bad user experience along with your C3 TV, then it would be the right choice.

While it was expensive to buy my Studio display, I saved some money buying from refurb store but it was totally worth the investment because I dont need to buy another monitor probably for 10 years, and its a seamless user experience using my Studio display with my Macbook pro :D

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
It is entirely possible to use the LG C3 as your primary monitor.

Have in mind you will definitely need to calibrate it to match whatever white point you use, be it D50 or D65, and preferred color spectrum. Do you have the equipment to do that?

Out of the box it will cover DCI-P3 faithfully, especially at a low 80 to 120 nits you will probably use for photography and print.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Running a new Mac Studio M2 base with a new LG C3 42-inch. It's fantastic. Do it. If you have the monitor 14 to 16 inches away from you, you can see the whole screen. Colors, images, and especially video look amazing. You'll never, ever go back to LCD or LED. When I look at LED now, it looks like greyed out trash. OLED simply is on another level, and backlit screens simply cannot compete. Text is sharp too, because MacOS renders it beautifully even on a large 4k screen. I thought it would be an issue. It's not.

I haven't had any "bad issues" with the Mac studio and the LG C3. To turn the TV on/off, you use the LG remote, which is not a big deal at all. In fact, what I do is, before I even turn on the LG C3, I simply tap the keyboard or mouse, which wakes the Mac Studio. I give it a second, then type in the password -- I do all this with the screen off, because all of us know this by heart we've done it so many times. Then I simply hit the power button on the LG remote, select the Studio, and it's waiting for me. Takes just a few seconds.

You don't have to do it this way, but it's quick.

Another option: set long sleep times and long screen saver times if you wish. I've never had a problem getting the password dialogue to show up from screen saver. And, when the Mac studio sleeps and the LG C3 hasn't had any activity, it shuts down automatically too. Never had a problem with this function, either.

50L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
do you connect it with airplay or with a USB C to HDMI cable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.