Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimD

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Really, it's subjective, which is why the most heated arguments are opinion based.
Is there any way you can test-drive a Mac + PS setup?

Don't know about elsewhere but here in Montreal, all Mac Pros and MBPs in the Apple Store/Best Buy have PS installed on them.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
With all due respect, any computer used correctly should need little to no maintenance, seems to be a favorite excuse of the OSX crowd, OMG Windows SUX, OSX IS PERFECT!

I consider defrag, buying and updating AV software (as well as running and scanning your system often), as well as other things that maintain performance 'maintenance'. The only maintenance I do on OS X is permissions repairs about once a month.

Any Windows user will need to spend more time maintaining a PC versus time spent maintaining a Mac. This comes from my general experience.

I've never had to lose a few days or even hours of work due to a strange problem that just happens because the registry gets screwed up, or some weak virus or just annoying bit of malware/spyware that got installed and is a pain to uninstall. I know of far too many safe Windows users that lost hours or days and sanity when something just goes wrong.

OS X isn't perfect, I never said it was. But I do stand by my statement that PC's require more maintenance than Macs do. Even if it's preventative.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Naah, its to cover the failures because of course Microsoft can't program anything. :rolleyes:

It very often seems that way. Here's the list from a whopping 20 minutes at a client site yesterday afternoon:

1- 2008 Server- "Delayed Automatic Start" of the Service for NIS service (Default MS-enabled startup property at install) seems to mean "Don't start this service at all" under some conditions - awesome, you've got an authentication process on an Active Directory domain controller that won't start- good thing you bought into a Microsoft-only single-sign-on solution! We won't even start on the two-way password change thing.

2- Error SECCLI 1202- 0x534: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done: Microsoft says

To find the friendly name of the GPO, use the Resource Kit utility Gpotool.exe. Type the following at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
gpotool /verbose

But wait! there is no gptool.exe in Server 2008, and the one for 2003 won't run in 64-bit environments. Way to go Microsoft! Pull out the diagnostic tools! They're just trying to stop bloat- right? Good thing the customer bought into the whole MSDN thing so they could fix any issues they had...

3- The utility cacls.exe was replaced in Server 2008 by icacls.exe- but while cacls would let you set file permissions on an object for an object in a different domain, icacls seemingly doesn't have that capability- great update Microsoft! It's a security feature, right? Oh wait, you can manually add the SID, um- exactly what sort of feature is it now? Yeah, I'm feeling that kwality.

4- You can dump the user SIDs from an Active Directory with csvde, the SIDs are in hex. You can only pass a string format SID to icacls, and there's no included utility to convert between hex and string format SIDs. Yeah, that shows the quality foresight and planning done by Microsoft. Consistency- that's the key- now where are the bolt cutters?

5- New domain, new GPOs- for some users on some machines, the drive mapping policy applies. For the SAME users on DIFFERENT machines, the drive mapping doesn't happen- all the settings are good and all the policies are applied according to RSOP with gpresult. All the computer objects are new, nuking them and re-adding them doesn't change the situation. Yeah, that's real quality and consistency there- you want your group policy objects which contain your security policies to apply sometimes, but not all the time, that'd be booooring!

6- Same issues with folder redirection, but in different ways on different machines with different users. Yeah, I'm feeling all that good Microsoft programming. So's the client.

That's literally 20 minutes yesterday- the last two weeks have been filled with little bundles of Microsoft's semi-functional software quirks. If they can write good, solid, functional, consistent and reliable code they've not proven it with Server 2008, Service for NIS, Server for NFS, Active Directory, Group Policy Objects, ADMT, folder redirection or file system ACLs.
[Microsoft's "help" for ADMT was to send us a Powerpoint that's "Way better than the online documentation and what we use internally now!"]

Microsoft is a software vendor. I've worked for an ISV who wouldn't accept that sort of poor quality from a junior programmer with six months of experience, let alone entire teams of engineers and product managers.

You may be in love with Vista and may wear Microsoft footie pajamas to bed and dream of Steve Balmer's monkey dancing- but frankly the acceptance of such purely bad code is what's got computing in the state it's in today. That's ok though, I'm sure they're promising to fix it all in the next release- destined to be the "Best Windows Ever!"

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Google:

- vista limited connectivity
- vista slow usb
- vista black screen death

etc.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
It very often seems that way. Here's the list from a whopping 20 minutes at a client site yesterday afternoon:

1- 2008 Server- "Delayed Automatic Start" of the Service for NIS service (Default MS-enabled startup property at install) seems to mean "Don't start this service at all" under some conditions - awesome, you've got an authentication process on an Active Directory domain controller that won't start- good thing you bought into a Microsoft-only single-sign-on solution! We won't even start on the two-way password change thing.

You may be in love with Vista and may wear Microsoft footie pajamas to bed and dream of Steve Balmer's monkey dancing- but frankly the acceptance of such purely bad code is what's got computing in the state it's in today. That's ok though, I'm sure they're promising to fix it all in the next release- destined to be the "Best Windows Ever!"

That was some serious greek to me - kudos to you for hanging in there 20 minutes. And an excellent way to back the point that M$ does indeed require a lot more maintenance. Given that you even had an idea as to what those problems were, I'm guessing you have the knowledge to use Windows correctly

"any computer used correctly should need little to no maintenance"

But I'm thinking your posting was a pretty nasty bout of maintenance. I know Leopard has had its' share of bugs, and still does, but I'd LOVE to hear from anyone on this forum that ran into the same mess installing OS X server on a system.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
That was some serious greek to me - kudos to you for hanging in there 20 minutes. And an excellent way to back the point that M$ does indeed require a lot more maintenance. Given that you even had an idea as to what those problems were, I'm guessing you have the knowledge to use Windows correctly

I've had similar experiences dealing with Windows servers you would be surprised just how intricate and in depth settings can get, you would think the registry would be enough but there are all sorts of other things to mess with like Local Security Policies, DCOM settings and other things that escape me right now. A lot of MS's patches mess with these settings too and as a result break software you have installed and it can take a long time to investigate and fix!

I haven't dealt with OSX servers but have had limited experience with *nix servers and haven't had anywhere near the trouble with those!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Macs are simpler + easier to use. Having the latest graphic cards won't do much because PS is still CPU-intensive, not GPU-intensive. Your hubby (husband? sorry I'm 15) is kind of wrong because the Mac Pro hardware is top of it's class. It is "outdated" in terms of when the hardware was released, but it is still pretty powerful. If you photograph weddings and use glossy print paper, an iMac/MacBook would suit you just fine. If you must bring a computer along, I would choose the MB. Later, just plug it into a matte external display for serious editing. Some graphic design people argue over the glossy vs matte issue. However, if you choose the iMac, wait a little. New models with newer hardware might be released in a few weeks. The Mac Pro doesn't come with a display so that might be of an issue.

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
i was a windows user and vista was driving me crazy, i upgraded my ram to 4gb but still take 2~4 min to load and a lot more to shutdown, last month i changed to the new macbook pro, it's simple beautiful, fast and power full, my MBP is 2GB and it take only less than a min for OSx to load.

I'm a user which like to open all the apps i will need, mostly i keep dreamweaver, photoshop, firefox,msn, yahoo and word.

and the laptop don't even lag a bit if i did thing in pc that running vista it will blow out and melt from the heat other thing is the heat and fan, my mac is so cool i never hear the sound of the fans, unlike when i was in my old HP which would make sounds like an air jet (not joking).

some people will say it's vista problem and pc user can use xp, well xp is very simple with no features, no utilities very simple GUI

so you chose

1)be a pc user and chose between simple old os with no features or glitchy os with bad prefomens but with features (which are copied from mac os -,-).

OR
2)be a mac user and have both features as well as performance virus free os and peace of mind

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.