Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Boot your Mac as you have been trying already, where you should end at an installer screen, or you will have a window with 4 or 5 choices.
You should see an icon named either "Reinstall OS X", or "Reinstall macOS"
Choose that...
follow the steps...
wait for your Mac to restart...
more waiting...
setup your user...
Use your MacBook Air.
(Did I miss anything? :D )

Reactions: Erdbeertorte

misstj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Perth
Boot your Mac as you have been trying already, where you should end at an installer screen, or you will have a window with 4 or 5 choices.
Choose that...
follow the steps...
more waiting...
setup your user...
Use your MacBook Air.

It won't set up because I don't have a free disk or something to save it all onto or something? It says select where you would like to save save set up and there's no where for me to select. What do I do about this? Can I use a USB or?

misstj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Perth
Choose that...
follow the steps...
more waiting...
setup your user...
Use your MacBook Air.
I don't have anything to save it to ? It doesn't let me select a disc? What do I do from here?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does your storage drive appear in Disk Utility?
If so, you can erase it there. Then you will be sure of the name of the partition that you want to use (because you can name it at that time :D )
This is assuming that you don't have anything that belongs to you (pictures, etc) on the drive. Seems like you haven't been able to use it yet, correct?

misstj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Perth
Does your storage drive appear in Disk Utility?
If so, you can erase it there. Then you will be sure of the name of the partition that you want to use (because you can name it at that time :D )
This is assuming that you don't have anything that belongs to you (pictures, etc) on the drive. Seems like you haven't been able to use it yet, correct?
Yep I have not been able to use it yet so it's pudding me off because I really just wanna use it!! How do I erase it? Csn you please give me the steps of erasing it and making a new one to save the install to or whatever it is I need to do! Hahaha this has been so draining
[doublepost=1501072905][/doublepost]I've gone into disk utility and it's come up with this how do I erase it all?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Disk Utility. It's one of the choices in the first window. If you are at the installer window (with no drive to select), then go to the menus, and choose Quit, or just type Command-Q.
Choose Disk Utility. Select your drive (You'll see a manufacturer's info about your storage drive, or maybe just the name of your drive, like Macintosh HD, or Mac HD, or it might even be unnamed, like Untitled :)
Anyway, it will appear in the list, and probably will be the only item on the left side of the Disk Utility.
Whatever is there, just click the top item, then click the Erase button. It will warn you that you lose everything --- and that's what you want to do. Let it finish (takes only a few seconds), the Quit, then choose Reinstall macOS
Follow the steps, wait, wait some more. Set up your user when asked.
And, should be working now (?)

OR --- you get nothing, because the storage drive (the SSD) has failed. (Your friend, who found this MBAir for you, may know more about this than you might think :D )

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
This reminds me of an experience I had trying to help a Korean friend with her Windows laptop. I tried to find the language change following the menu on a side by side English based laptop but couldn't make the changes. I ended up taking it to a Korean owned repair shop. They told me that it was a totally different Korean (Hangul) based version of Windows and English was not an option. They said that only a reformat and an English based reinstallation would change it. In a parallel sense, I tend to think that those who say that creating an installer USB drive and full reinstallation is the only way are probably correct.

Last edited:

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
This reminds me of an experience I had trying to help a Korean friend with her Windows laptop. I tried to find the language change following the menu on a side by side English based laptop but couldn't make the changes. I ended up taking it to a Korean owned repair shop. They told me that it was a totally different Korean (Hangul) based version of Windows and English was not an option. They said that only a reformat and an English based reinstallation would change it. In a parallel sense, I tend to think that those who say that creating an installer USB drive and full reinstallation is the only way are probably correct.
This is one of the areas where Apple has been leaps beyond competitions. As far back as OS X 10.0, the system was already language independent, all you had to do is to have installed the relevant fonts and you can switch on the fly without even a reboot.

The problem of this thread's OP is a bit special as there is a change of ownership in between two users with different original language, navigating to change the default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.