Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aragh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2024
Hi guys,

Hopefully this is the right place for this thread. I own 2020 A2251 model, which I have used past 3.5 years as my primary business notebook. After this time I noticed battery lasted around 1hr or so, which is not acceptable for me (~79% capacity on system report). I decided to buy replacement and did all the work by myself (i have some experience in this matter).

After the replacement system report looks like this
1714758022076.png

It does not look bad, but battery is maybe like 2-3hrs tops with mostly web browsing, movies.

Even when lid is closed, it is still draining battery much faster than I would expect. I have turned off power nap but batteru consumption looks like this:

1714758217627.png

Between last night and 2:45pm I was not using it, but it was constantly dropping as above. When i browsed for 45mins straight, I had drops like 39->34->27->18 in matter of minutes around 3pm.

Now questions:
- what is happening here? It was just web browsing - no streaming services and others.
- I am considering yet another battery replacement, but maybe the first 80% one was not that bad, and problem lies elsewhere?

I have 16" M2 Pro for professional use, and this like heaven and earth when it comes to power management. I know that Intels are more demanding, but come on...

Thanks for you help!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I decided to buy replacement and did all the work by myself (i have some experience in this matter).
What brand is the replacement battery and where did you purchase it? Also, you calibrated the battery after install, yes?

Aragh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2024
I bought it on Polish, local version of Amazon (allegro), brand is "Sunwoda Electronic". I have searched quite long and I could not find anything Apple branded, only names like these.
Anyway, I have not callibrated it - should I do it as written on site below or is there any other way to do it?

Aragh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2024
I am in the middle of callibrating the model, but one thing caught my attention.
I have used coconutBattery for testing, and here what is says about the battery itself

1714929186413.png

Either it stores some default jibberish, or I received some 9 years old battery....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.