Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maciskillingme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
Maybe I can get some help. I have a MacBook Air "Core i5" 1.6 13" 2019, A1932 (EMC 3184). It is stuck in an internet recovery loop. I have tried everything I have seen or read. In the end, it either restarts internet recovery, or gives an error/ code. I tried booting into safe mode, the apple logo appeared and nothing happened. The fan continued to run and so I shut it down. No matter what I do, it just boots straight into internet recovery, asks for my wifi info and it's killing me. I can provide more info, although I am not sure what else to give.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Although your laptop does indeed have an Intel CPU, it also has a T2 firmware chip. By default, the T2 chip disallows booting from external (i.e. USB) media. This can be changed by booting to recovery mode (by holding command+r and powering on) and selecting the Startup Security Utility from the Utilities menu in the top bar. Select Allow booting from external media. It's also a good idea to turn off Secure Boot while you're there.

If you can't boot to recovery mode because the recovery partition has been damaged, then you have a bigger problem and may have to have the T2 chip revived at an Apple store.

In my experience with a 2019 MBA, once Big Sur or above has been installed (which also 'upgrades' the T2 firmware) the machine will never again be able to successfully perform an Internet Recovery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.