Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midnightrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
Hi. I’ve been using my MBA M2 over 3 weeks and today it started make some sort of noise. I think it’s coming from the left hinge or bazel. The noise appears when I close or adjust my MacBook lid. Is it sounds normal?

midnightrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
I have a subtle popping sound too when I open up the display.

I received mine 3 months ago or so.
Same. But now MacBook also makes this noise while I close or adjust the lid. It’s my first replacement and I still have one month warranty from a store. Maybe they will replace MacBook again because we don’t have Apple Stores in our country and AASP can’t fix it because it’s a new model.
On other hand, they will send it to the Apple and I will wait over a month.

midnightrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
Update: I went to the store where I bought it. Manager couldn’t hear this noise and refused to replace the unit. Now I can also hear left hinge click noise while fully open the lid. That’s crazy because I had the same noises from the same hinges on my previous MacBook (MacBook Pro M1). Seems like all of them (new MacBooks) have such an issue, probably you just haven’t noticed it.
Honestly I think that I will probably ask AASP for the lid replacement this summer because I have one year of warranty. I don’t want to try fixing it right now because my MacBook is new and most of the AASP in my country don’t know how to fix it. Guys, I’m thankful for all of your replies and advises ❣️
You can still share some information if you have the same issue.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Update: I went to the store where I bought it. Manager couldn’t hear this noise and refused to replace the unit. Now I can also hear left hinge click noise while fully open the lid. That’s crazy because I had the same noises from the same hinges on my previous MacBook (MacBook Pro M1). Seems like all of them (new MacBooks) have such an issue, probably you just haven’t noticed it.
Honestly I think that I will probably ask AASP for the lid replacement this summer because I have one year of warranty. I don’t want to try fixing it right now because my MacBook is new and most of the AASP in my country don’t know how to fix it. Guys, I’m thankful for all of your replies and advises ❣️
You can still share some information if you have the same issue.

View attachment 2120269
I had this on my midnight and it was rubbing the paint off the hinge. Replacement was fine.

midnightrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
I had this on my midnight and it was rubbing the paint off the hinge. Replacement was fine.
Hi. Does the right hinge mostly caused this problem? My bottom plate is also scratched a little bit near the right hinge. I’m not sure, but I think that most of the MBA with M2 have such an issue or it will appear over time. It’s strange because all of the MacBooks I’ve owned had the same issue (especially with the right hinge), even though they have a different design. There are not that many publications about this issue because I’m sure that people don’t notice it.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Hi. Does the right hinge mostly caused this problem? My bottom plate is also scratched a little bit near the right hinge. I’m not sure, but I think that most of the MBA with M2 have such an issue or it will appear over time. It’s strange because all of the MacBooks I’ve owned had the same issue (especially with the right hinge), even though they have a different design. There are not that many publications about this issue because I’m sure that people don’t notice it.
It was the left side for me. I suspect it’s something the warranty would cover. My only concern would be potential damage to the Midnight colour from repairs.

• Sad
Reactions: midnightrain

midnightrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
Another update:

The hinge gets worse every day. Now that kind of noise appears even when I just open the lid or close it. I will probably call Apple on Monday 🫤

Hope that they will help me…

• Sad
Reactions: Miicat_47

midnightrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
It was the left side for me. I suspect it’s something the warranty would cover. My only concern would be potential damage to the Midnight colour from repairs.
Do you mean that AASP engineers could scratch or damage my MacBook Air Midnight? I’ve heard about such situations. I’m probably going to take a video of my MacBook in their office before I give it to them.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
My MBA M2 also makes very similar clicking noise but only when adjusting the screen position to the maximum angle which is very annoying.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Mine makes this noise only on the initial time I open it and it's really cold. My desk is beside a window and it's been -12 out here so the laptop gets pretty cold. Mines silver, im not worried about it, I feel for my situation, its the big temperature drop

midnightrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
Update: I went to the AASP a couple weeks ago. They said that there will be a lid replacement. They’re currently waiting for the detail. I hope that it’ll solve my problem.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Mine makes this noise only on the initial time I open it and it's really cold. My desk is beside a window and it's been -12 out here so the laptop gets pretty cold. Mines silver, im not worried about it, I feel for my situation, its the big temperature drop
I have found that temperature definitely affects the stiffness hence the noise of adjusting the lid. My 2013 MBP made a bit of a noise - creak - when first opening or closing it especially when it had been left in one position for an extended time, very easy to hear! I actually was comforted by the sound as I felt there would be no chance of it changing position by itself. My M2 MBA does not make a sound but I don’t use a stethoscope to try to hear one, the hinge is not as stiff as that old MBP, feels smoother. Either way chasing a replacement would just bring further problems. Unless the lid is slipping - too loose - or is damaging something, this should just be ignored.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Surprisingly, I was able to fix my issue by taking the back cover off and reseating it again. when I initially took the back cover, my laptop stopped making all creaking noises when adjusting the display position, including the most angled one.

Piscestg

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2022
I received my BTO MBA M2 two weeks after release and it is completely quiet. No type of noise at all.

Last edited:

ugh.rj

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2023
Grover Beach
Hi. I’ve been using my MBA M2 over 3 weeks and today it started make some sort of noise. I think it’s coming from the left hinge or bazel. The noise appears when I close or adjust my MacBook lid. Is it sounds normal?

View attachment 2119142

View attachment 2119142
The
MacBook Air (M2)

View attachment 2119142
The hinge on my MacBook Air (M2) started making the same noises last month, which is weird because usually when the hinge is making noises, there's most likely debris that got in, but I keep my MacBook pretty clean, I use compressed air on my Keyboard, as well as the hinge area.

midnightrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
Update:

After 2 months of waiting I’ve got my new LCD with huge backlight bleeding in the left bottom corner and scratches on the hinge rubber bezel. Obsessed with Apple product quality 😍 Now I have to go to the AASP again and wait another 2-4 months. At least I’m glad they added 1 month and 3 weeks to my warranty and AASP has polite employees.

Attachments

• 78442820-8A01-4A57-A590-FE76D2DC8810.jpeg
    78442820-8A01-4A57-A590-FE76D2DC8810.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 084F4FB5-91D9-48AD-A250-F0EBA053F423.jpeg
    084F4FB5-91D9-48AD-A250-F0EBA053F423.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 278

Zeyu

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2022
I have a MBP 14 silver model. It has that sound too.
My brother has the same model in space grey, his makes a louder noise.

Probably this is a widespread issue.

I got this MBP in Nov., and I started to notice this problem in Jan.

Genius Bar has no idea about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.