Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chordstrummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal
Finally time to upgrade. Current machine is a 2010(!) MacBookPro 13”. I’m torn between a refurb MacBook Pro 14” M3 or a MacBook Air 15” M2 brand new (Best Buy still has these, apparently). Both configured with a 1TB SSD and 16 GB RAM, there’s only $200 difference, so not really an issue.

My Concerns:

Will the increased res AND reduced size of the Pro make it a little less pleasant to view?
Will the Air perform not quite as well (M2 vs M3, finless, etc.)?

This will be my only computer, for personal use only. And I’ll probably keep it for a decade or more. Web browsing, including video streaming, occasional Zoom/FT meetings, and other light tasks for the most part. But, I do have a DSLR, Lightroom and process RAW photos in Photoshop. This would be my only intensive activity.

I’ll be using it by itself sometimes, as well as with a 32” 4K monitor (maybe 50/50).

Which would you get?

I’d appreciate any comments. Thanks.

chordstrummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal
Thanks for the comments. Why not a desktop? I want to use this throughout the house and yards, not just tethered to a desk. Some travel as well, although not more than a few times a year, but still. Nice to have the portability when needed. Thanks again.

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
I would try to have a look to both Models in Person because some find the MBP Bulky but the MBA 15 is a different Animal anyway than the 13,6" MBA.

I am absolut in the 14" Area but did opt for the 13,6 MBA because of the Form-factor, no Fan, early Release (2022) and i also make no 4K Long Video Cuts so... but still working 24/7 with it on big Projects with 16GB/1TB/10C M2.

Some would say as i work 80% Desktop Clamshell i could have get a Desktop but.....in the Garden/Café or at Fairs i do need a Laptop so why having 2 Mac´s for this.

100% HO.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Finally time to upgrade. Current machine is a 2010(!) MacBookPro 13”. I’m torn between a refurb MacBook Pro 14” M3 or a MacBook Air 15” M2 brand new (Best Buy still has these, apparently). Both configured with a 1TB SSD and 16 GB RAM, there’s only $200 difference, so not really an issue.

My Concerns:

Will the increased res AND reduced size of the Pro make it a little less pleasant to view?
Will the Air perform not quite as well (M2 vs M3, finless, etc.)?

This will be my only computer, for personal use only. And I’ll probably keep it for a decade or more. Web browsing, including video streaming, occasional Zoom/FT meetings, and other light tasks for the most part. But, I do have a DSLR, Lightroom and process RAW photos in Photoshop. This would be my only intensive activity.

I’ll be using it by itself sometimes, as well as with a 32” 4K monitor (maybe 50/50).

Which would you get?

I’d appreciate any comments. Thanks.
I don’t think you’ll notice the CPU speed difference at all, unless you use very processor intensive tasks.

My wife and kids have Air’s and I have a 14” M1 Pro. The biggest differences are that the Pro has a better screen, while the Air is much lighter and easier to carry. There are other differences, like better speakers on the Pro, more ports on the Pro, but I think the display quality and portability are the two big differences.

At home, I use my laptop with an OWC Thunderbolt 3 docking station (Thunderbolt 4 is not faster, by the way). Single cable solution for power and all of my connectivity. That part makes the Pro and the Air a wash, because I’m using the external display, keyboard, webcam, Ethernet, and even the USB ports.

For tasks like web browsing, PowerPoint, Excel, writing… all of that, the two laptops are the same. But I also do photo editing of 45 megapixel RAW photos, so the faster CPU helps and the better screen quality would help, except that I use the external display at home.

My external display is a 27” 4K with DisplayPort. I’m not sure that I’d like using a 32” panel. I suppose it depends on how you work, but at some point, you’re moving your head a lot to see all over the gigantic screen. If I had to do it again, I’d still buy a 27” but I’d probably spend more for a more premium quality display. The LG is pretty good, but now they have full P3 displays, and that’s probably what I’d want. It depends on what you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1969tgb

chordstrummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
SoCal
Thanks to all for your comments. I really appreciate it. I did go to an Apple store and viewed them side by side (14" pro and 15" Air, both M3). I'm getting the Pro. No comparison, the display won me over (brighter, more contrast, just much much better). And I did not really notice the resolution and/or size difference that much. Portability and weight? Again, for me, not enough in it to matter, really. Ended up buying a 14" M3 Pro, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM from the refurb store online.

Now the fun part: Trying to migrate everything. Remember: Coming from a 2010 machine which still has iTunes. Hoping the music library works, most of all.

Again, thanks to all for your comments.

Reactions: Supermallet

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
I had exactly the same dilemma lately. I picked a new m3 14" , but with 16 ram/512 ssd. I got a nice price on it, was a lot cheaper than new m3 15" air with 16 ram/1tb ssd. The screen, speakers, hdmi and cooling won me over. it seems so light comparing to my 15" 2015 mbp :)

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
...I did go to an Apple store and viewed them side by side (14" pro and 15" Air, both M3). I'm getting the Pro. No comparison, the display won me over (brighter, more contrast, just much much better). ...

You did the right thing. I made almost exactly the same comparison and decided that the Air display was nearly as good as the Pro, and the Pro was bulkier and more expensive. I bought the 15" Air.

So you really need to see and judge these things for yourself.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks to all for your comments. I really appreciate it. I did go to an Apple store and viewed them side by side (14" pro and 15" Air, both M3). I'm getting the Pro. No comparison, the display won me over (brighter, more contrast, just much much better). And I did not really notice the resolution and/or size difference that much. Portability and weight? Again, for me, not enough in it to matter, really. Ended up buying a 14" M3 Pro, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM from the refurb store online.

Now the fun part: Trying to migrate everything. Remember: Coming from a 2010 machine which still has iTunes. Hoping the music library works, most of all.

Again, thanks to all for your comments.
The Apple Store can walk you through migration, but generally when the computer boots for the first time, it asks you if you want to restore from another Mac. You can connect them together with a cable or over your home network, and the Migration Assistant will do the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.