Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DomMil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
IMG_4092.JPG
I was watching a tv show the other day and noticed screen bleed. Seems pretty common on these screens and indeed MacBooks more widely.

Would you say this amount of bleed is acceptable or should I return? Heard it is pretty hard to receive a perfect screen and I run the risk of getting one which is worse? The bottom left hand corner is probably the "worse" spot

Attachments

• IMG_4094.JPG
    IMG_4094.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 67

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
That doesn't look normal. What is the brightness set to on your macbook? is it set to maximum brightness?

DomMil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
That doesn't look normal. What is the brightness set to on your macbook? is it set to maximum brightness

It was in the initial pictures. Have attached another with the brightness more normal - would you say return?

Attachments

• IMG_4095.JPG
    IMG_4095.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 68

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
It was in the initial pictures. Have attached another with the brightness more normal - would you say return?
I’m not sure whether you should return it but the one on the bottom left is pretty significant IMO. It’s ultimately up to you.

neo_cs193p

macrumors regular
May 17, 2016
Mine is more uniform (15"). I'd be pretty unhappy with those lower corners.
OTOH the top corners look good. I think the worst kind of bleed on the MBA is anything close to the notch (to make it even more visible).

Don't know what I would do in your shoes. I have no idea if most displays are better or worse than yours. But if it's bothering you and if it's easy for you to return, you can keep doing that until you get a good one.

DomMil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
Mine is more uniform (15"). I'd be pretty unhappy with those lower corners.
OTOH the top corners look good. I think the worst kind of bleed on the MBA is anything close to the notch (to make it even more visible).

Don't know what I would do in your shoes. I have no idea if most displays are better or worse than yours. But if it's bothering you and if it's easy for you to return, you can keep doing that until you get a good one.
Yeah I’ve hard bleeding is not as bad on the 15” version. There is a thread here which looks similar to mine and the consensus seems that it’s acceptable, it is a bit annoying though - https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/s/J6xulA0UHc

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
My 15 inch M2 looks pretty clean and uniform. Not perfect but no obvious issues in regular use or even a dark room.

..Photos will make it look way worse than to the eye, I'd say what you see with your eye is the important part

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
15 inch MacBook air is plagued with back light bleed. I haven't seen any with the 13 inch

DomMil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
Took it into Apple today. They said it’s not normal and replacement on the way. Not convinced the replacement won’t have it but we’ll see

Reactions: brandoman

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
15 inch MacBook air is plagued with back light bleed. I haven't seen any with the 13 inch
Mines only has very slight bleed at the bottom left. It's not noticeable unless I sit in a room, lights off, and black out blinds closed lol with nothing but a black screen displayed so I don't care.

Took it into Apple today. They said it’s not normal and replacement on the way. Not convinced the replacement won’t have it but we’ll see
Yours has a noticeable "spotlight" effect along the bottom and also the sides look a lot darker than the rest of the screen. It's a common issue with LCD panels. I remember replacing my iPhone years ago because of it this exact issue. I had a very noticeable spotlight effect along the top of my iPhone 4. I don't think it's acceptable and any half decent LCD panel today should not have it.

If you get another one with the same problem then get them to replace it again.

Reactions: ascender

DomMil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
Mines only has very slight bleed at the bottom left. It's not noticeable unless I sit in a room, lights off, and black out blinds closed lol with nothing but a black screen displayed so I don't care.

Yours has a noticeable "spotlight" effect along the bottom and also the sides look a lot darker than the rest of the screen. It's a common issue with LCD panels. I remember replacing my iPhone years ago because of it this exact issue. I had a very noticeable spotlight effect along the top of my iPhone 4. I don't think it's acceptable and any half decent LCD panel today should not have it.

If you get another one with the same problem then get them to replace it again.
Fingers crossed next one is better. I could have lived with the original but I did notice it without ”looking for it“. I’ve paid so much money I felt it was worth seeking a model with a better screen.

Reactions: krspkbl

neo_cs193p

macrumors regular
May 17, 2016
Fingers crossed next one is better. I could have lived with the original but I did notice it without ”looking for it“. I’ve paid so much money I felt it was worth seeking a model with a better screen.
As you said: Apple says it's not normal. There you go.
It's good they acknowledge it's sub-par. They don't do that with all issues.

Reactions: krspkbl

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Absolutely. For that much money you expect a certain standard. If it's so obvious you notice without looking for it then I wouldn't put up with it.

Hope there are no issues with the replacement :)

DomMil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
Absolutely. For that much money you expect a certain standard. If it's so obvious you notice without looking for it then I wouldn't put up with it.

Hope there are no issues with the replacement :)
New device pretty much exactly the same aghhhh

Tempted just to leave it at this point - wondering whether it’s the same batch or just a universal issue on the 13 inch version - have seen multiple threads on it

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
New device pretty much exactly the same aghhhh

Tempted just to leave it at this point - wondering whether it’s the same batch or just a universal issue on the 13 inch version - have seen multiple threads on it
ah alright i thought you had a 15" air. i haven't seen anything about 13" but i'd still say it's likely just a small amount that are affected. it's a quality control issue. there are plenty of 15" models without it and that's more likely to have problems.

if you can get a refund then do that then mayybe try again in a month or something?

sadly it is a known issue with these displays (not just apple) but any good quality display won't have it. again it's a quality issue.

DomMil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
ah alright i thought you had a 15" air. i haven't seen anything about 13" but i'd still say it's likely just a small amount that are affected. it's a quality control issue. there are plenty of 15" models without it and that's more likely to have problems.

if you can get a refund then do that then mayybe try again in a month or something?

sadly it is a known issue with these displays (not just apple) but any good quality display won't have it. again it's a quality issue.
Booked a Genius Bar appointment- going to go for a third and see if any better - after that call it quits and accept it

This review does mention the bleed on the 13” version

Reactions: diego.caraballo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.