Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
First, I've go to say that I never had the chance to fully test a Core m processor, but still from what I've read so far they good just for some browsing, mail, light VLC and nothing more but I may be wrong.

Then, having only a USB C port is a great concept, really and Apple as again confirmed it can still be visionary and ahead of time but it definitely is not something I would buy for that price.

Test one.

The Core M from last year is as fast as the MBA processors from 2011-2012. And those machines are still good for a lot more than basic browsing, email, and VLC. CPUs have been "quick enough" for a long time now for most people.

Yes the one port thing is a bit awkward today, but if you use bluetooth and wifi, you don't need ports very often. You can get away from USB memory sticks with something like dropbox or airdrop.

It's not an insurmountable problem, people will get over it.

Federico87

Suspended
Original poster
May 2, 2016
Test one.

The Core M from last year is as fast as the MBA processors from 2011-2012. And those machines are still good for a lot more than basic browsing, email, and VLC. CPUs have been "quick enough" for a long time now for most people.

Yes the one port thing is a bit awkward today, but if you use bluetooth and wifi, you don't need ports very often. You can get away from USB memory sticks with something like dropbox or airdrop.

It's not an insurmountable problem, people will get over it.

I'll do if I have the chance. The new MB still looks overpriced to me.

Here in Italy the top configuration comes with Intel Core m5 dual-core 1,2GHz Turbo Boost up to 2,7GHz for 1829euros which is around 2,086.16 USD.

While the rMBP with Intel Core i5 dual-core 2,7GHz, Turbo Boost up to 3,1GHz is 1699euros which is around 1,937.88USD with all the benefits of the rMBP (13" screen size, much more robust machine, more ports, etc..)

So, the MB seems not a option for me :)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
^ yup, and that's why i ended up with a retina 13".

But, if you want Macbook Air size with WAY better retina screen then the Macbook is almost that device except with a single USB3 port, way better speakers, and slightly less horsepower.

Depends how much you're willing to give up for the lighter weight.

I find the 13" Pro is light enough and more flexible.

Federico87

Suspended
Original poster
May 2, 2016
Light weight is really important to me since I travel a lot both for pleasure and for work but I'm not willing to sacrifice power over it.

I need to do some virtual machine work and a little bit of photoshop some time, that's why MB is not in my pick up list.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
All the dual core i5 and i7 processors that Apple use in their mobilecomputers have hyper threading that's what makes the i7 upgrade so utterly pointless and expensive it really just does give you a 2-4% speed boost that is it.

Only the i7 and Xeon processors have hyperthreading.
(discontinued Atom series), Core M series, core i3 & core i5 don't have hyperthreading at all.
And that applies to all Intel computers, not just Apple.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Only the i7 and Xeon processors have hyperthreading.
(discontinued Atom series), Core M series, core i3 & core i5 don't have hyperthreading at all.
And that applies to all Intel computers, not just Apple.

That only applies to desktop parts.

Take a look on intels own site

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/processors/core/core-m-processors.html

All of the m processors have 2 cores and 4 threads that's hyper threading.

And for the 13 inch rMBP

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...5-2.7-13-early-2015-retina-display-specs.html

Again hyper threading and the same goes for the air and the mini, the 15 inch only uses i7's they are all hyperthreded. The only macs without hyperthreading are the core i5 iMacs, because they are using desktop processors and are quad core.

I think you may be 5-6 years out of date...

darkanddivine

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
I've recently tried them both in an Apple Store in Dublin and really felt the weight difference.
Of course I couldn't play around with any other software but the ones pre-installed (Photoshop and Illustrator are the most CPU consuming I'm going to use), so from a processing power perspective I can't say nothing more.
Retina display it's still a major consideration. By putting them side by side you can immediately spot the difference and that's a big one.

Still the rMBP is a much more powerful machine and considering both this and the discontinuing perspective for the MBA, I think I'll wait till WWDC to see what happen.

Hopefully we'll see both an upgrade (Skylake quite sure) and redesign (maybe?).

I can see why Retina is a big consideration for you if the machine is your main one. It depends on your use, and I'd recommend considering the version of Photoshop etc before you purchase (with the new machine, you'll need CC). Otherwise, I can empathize that as a main machine, using PS and AI is going to need good power, and a nice screen.

That said, Air to me looks like a great "budget" machine with some caveats. Obviously for more taxing and creative/visual work, then the Air looks like less value, especially if you are doing very intensive work, or spending a lot of screen time the Pro makes more sense. Hopefully your decision will be clearer right after the announcements.

Federico87

Suspended
Original poster
May 2, 2016
I can see why Retina is a big consideration for you if the machine is your main one. It depends on your use, and I'd recommend considering the version of Photoshop etc before you purchase (with the new machine, you'll need CC). Otherwise, I can empathize that as a main machine, using PS and AI is going to need good power, and a nice screen.

That said, Air to me looks like a great "budget" machine with some caveats. Obviously for more taxing and creative/visual work, then the Air looks like less value, especially if you are doing very intensive work, or spending a lot of screen time the Pro makes more sense. Hopefully your decision will be clearer right after the announcements.

Yep, whatever I choose it will be my main and only machine (besides an under-powered dell latitude).
I'm not planning to do any intensive work, photo editing would be limited in time and scope but I will spend a lot of screen time so a retina display would be better anyway.

-35 to go

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
That only applies to desktop parts.

Take a look on intels own site

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/processors/core/core-m-processors.html

All of the m processors have 2 cores and 4 threads that's hyper threading.

And for the 13 inch rMBP

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...5-2.7-13-early-2015-retina-display-specs.html

Again hyper threading and the same goes for the air and the mini, the 15 inch only uses i7's they are all hyperthreded. The only macs without hyperthreading are the core i5 iMacs, because they are using desktop processors and are quad core.

I think you may be 5-6 years out of date...

So I'll trust Intel's stats on their own processors, but I think you'll find that everymac refers to the optional upgrade to i7 when it states that the system supports hyperthreading, which refers to the motherboard being the same on the i5 and i7 models.
No i5 has hyperthreading, regardless of whether they are mac or pc.
Feel free to invent some false meaning out of ambiguous statistics from a third party site of your choosing, however, as a software engineer of a couple of decades experience, I won't be taking the word of someone who fails to interpret basic language as indicative of a general lack of education on your part.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
So I'll trust Intel's stats on their own processors, but I think you'll find that everymac refers to the optional upgrade to i7 when it states that the system supports hyperthreading, which refers to the motherboard being the same on the i5 and i7 models.
No i5 has hyperthreading, regardless of whether they are mac or pc.
Feel free to invent some false meaning out of ambiguous statistics from a third party site of your choosing, however, as a software engineer of a couple of decades experience, I won't be taking the word of someone who fails to interpret basic language as indicative of a general lack of education on your part.

They all have hyperthreading, that link to Everymac was for the i5, you are wrong you can look up every processor on intels site, as you should do they are all hyperthreaded.

For example the core i5 5257u found in the 13 inch MacBook Pro

http://ark.intel.com/products/84985/Intel-Core-i5-5257U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

Intels own site says hyperthreded.

And the MacBook Air uses a core i5 5250u processor

http://ark.intel.com/products/84984/Intel-Core-i5-5250U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz

Intels own site says hyperthreaded

You'll also find all the other chips used are hyperthreaded except the i5's in the iMac as I have previously stated.

You are wrong, you are spreading misinformation and you are to lazy to look it up yourself and to arrogant to accept when you are wrong.

End of discussion for me but I do hope no one on here listens to you about anything, you clearly have no idea what you are I about and are incapable of googling the correct answer when it's pointed out to you.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I am about to order the 11 Air before they discontinue it, perfect little bugger!! No the 12 Inches MBR does not cut it, less power and less port.... will be using a nice monitor when at home anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.