Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2021
Hi,

A friend passed over to me an i5 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro. I actually toyed with it several years back, installed myself a Samsung Evo 850 512gb in it along with 16gb of ram. Installed NTFS for Mac for it. Currently I restored it to factory settings and runs the latest High Sierra, the latest officially supported software by Apple.

That being said, the machine still runs fine and I want to OpenCore patch it to Sonoma. I see their latest update from literally weeks ago fixed most of the issue. I have a 32gb stick to flash Windows 10 on it, but it seems both my USB ports are not working anymore .. Apple Hardware Test came up with nothing, said everything is fine.

While understandable, considering the age of the machine, I have a feeling I might be missing something.

Anything else that I can do to check/fix this in more detail ?

Thanks

Andain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2021
Hey but the point of this topic is how to check/fix USB failure. It does not read my flash stick. I mean the USB 2.0 ports (or does it have 3.0).

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Have you tried both SMC and NVRAM/PRAM resets?
SMC reset is simply press and hold Shift-Control-Option, then press and release the power button.
I will usually do that SMC reset, which will force your MBPro off. Wait about ten seconds, then do that same SMC reset a second time.

I then suggest trying what I call a deep PRAM reset:
Shut off.
Boot, holding Command-Option-p-r.
Continue holding those 4 keys, wait for the boot chime. Keep holding the same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime 5 times, then release to boot normally. Try your flash stick. Also, try a USB (wired) mouse, one that has a visible laser is preferable (not all are visible), move mouse to check for a mouse cursor.
USB 2.0 on your 2011. No USB 3.0 until the 2012 Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.