Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
If you are waiting for the next 13 inch MacBook Pro with quad core .... better be saving up for it. It will be the “premium” upgrade ... you know ... the one that’s last on the clickable boxes of upgrades when you order your MacBook Pro online and it has a (+800) next to it.

You will have the 15w options in i5 and i7 ... then the dual core 28w option i5 ... then the 28w i7 option ... then the quad core option that they will inflate the hell out of that price.

Quad core will NOT replace the “standard” dual core 28 watt MacBook Pro. It will be the “ceramic” option (iWatch) for the 13 inch MacBook Pro line. Apple will make that the ultimate insanely expensive premium high roller option ... and the price increase will reflect it and even though most people will want it ... most people will not be able to either afford it or rationally excuse the insane price it will be.

(Hope i’m wrong ... but look deep inside .... you know I’m not!)

Pretty sure you are wrong on this. Why ? Competition. Dell, HP all the rest are simply popping this chip in to replace the previous one with no price increase. Also, I think you won't be able to get dual core chips soon enough and these will be the only option. Apple simply won't be able to jack prices up on these - the market won't tolerate it.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
If you are waiting for the next 13 inch MacBook Pro with quad core .... better be saving up for it. It will be the “premium” upgrade ... you know ... the one that’s last on the clickable boxes of upgrades when you order your MacBook Pro online and it has a (+800) next to it.

You will have the 15w options in i5 and i7 ... then the dual core 28w option i5 ... then the 28w i7 option ... then the quad core option that they will inflate the hell out of that price.

Quad core will NOT replace the “standard” dual core 28 watt MacBook Pro. It will be the “ceramic” option (iWatch) for the 13 inch MacBook Pro line. Apple will make that the ultimate insanely expensive premium high roller option ... and the price increase will reflect it and even though most people will want it ... most people will not be able to either afford it or rationally excuse the insane price it will be.

(Hope i’m wrong ... but look deep inside .... you know I’m not!)

No it won't because intel are releasing quadcores across the board this generation.

Jimios

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015
About the Geekbench results posted above: even if we assume they are legitimate, I very much doubt Apple will be releasing a quad-core 13" MBP anytime soon.
Why? Because the i5-8250U (as well as the upgraded i5 and i7 -U SKUs) released by Intel includes a standard, low-end integrated Intel GPU.
Apple has always chosen to include Iris GPUs with recent MacBook Pro models, and such U-series processors have not yet been released by Intel.

But if they do release a quad-core 13" (maybe next year?) it's probably going to be the one to replace my ageing 2010 MBP.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
About the Geekbench results posted above: even if we assume they are legitimate, I very much doubt Apple will be releasing a quad-core 13" MBP anytime soon.
Why? Because the i5-8250U (as well as the upgraded i5 and i7 -U SKUs) released by Intel includes a standard, low-end integrated Intel GPU.
Apple has always chosen to include Iris GPUs with recent MacBook Pro models, and such U-series processors have not yet been released by Intel.

But if they do release a quad-core 13" (maybe next year?) it's probably going to be the one to replace my ageing 2010 MBP.

Yeah this may have been Apple just testing a build they don't go onto release - or could it be an enthusiast doing some surgery ?? o_O
But people keep bringing up this point about gpus. Its not stopping other manufacturers. Perhaps there are hidden improvements or the fact you have more CPU means GPU needed less ? Also these newer chips have hardward decoding of H265 built in don't they ?

Jimios

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015
Yes they do, which is nice.

Apple has shipped all 13" MBPs with Iris graphics since 2013, so I'm quite confident they will keep doing so. Which means, most likely, we will have to wait for Intel to release the 8x6x-U and 8x8x-U processors.

EDIT: I also think it's unlikely that Apple refreshes the 13" without also refreshing the 15" at the same time. And 8th generation H-series chips have not been announced by Intel, at all.

Last edited:

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Some people are saying the current one is fine, ignore them and wait. Ive been holding off on a 13” since the coffee lake rumours appeared over a year ago, and it will definitely be worth the wait. Although still, to me, not the perfect notebook. With a 1050 or a defend dGPU in there, it would be. The Surface Book 2 is the closest thing to a perfect 13” notebook.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
A quad-core option on the nTB 13" MBP would allow me to excuse only having two USB-C ports in the nTB model. I might upgrade from my current work laptop, a 2012 15" rMBP, if that option presented itself.

That said, what I really want is a nTB 15" as my work machine. nTB 15" with a 32GB RAM option (I run VMs) and I will immediately start pestering my employer to order me one :) And I don't absolutely need 6 CPU cores, but I'd pick that if it were an option.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
My Late 2013 13" rMBP SSD just died outright yesterday. Debating whether to just grab a 2017 13" TB or wait a week on that OWC drive, fix the 2013 and wait for this 'rumored' Quad....

*That Late 2013 + flipping Xcode 9 runs like a dog tho.... argh*

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
My Late 2013 13" rMBP SSD just died outright yesterday. Debating whether to just grab a 2017 13" TB or wait a week on that OWC drive, fix the 2013 and wait for this 'rumored' Quad....

*That Late 2013 + flipping Xcode 9 runs like a dog tho.... argh*

That really sucks...bad timing...but the new machine likely won't be out until the Spring (and of course with Apple and Macs lately could be much later). If the machine broke it might be worth just replacing...maybe also consider getting a refurb or something on the lower end for now and then selling it when the new machines come out.

I have the same machine as you and its still running great thank god. Keeps me focused on holding out. I had the 2016 model, but it was getting graphical freezes that shutdown the whole computer between 4-10 times per day, and the battery life was terrible....and this was on two separate machines. I have been waiting since.

Reactions: BiscottiGelato
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.