Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
There is something wrong happening close to the top-left screen bezel. The defect is getting worse as time goes by. See the picture attached.

Did anyone experience something similar? The MacBook is three months old. I have already asked for a replacement before (because of a defective keycap), and I feel pretty annoyed to ask for another.

IMG_0377.png

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
It looks like the glass panel is not flush with the rubbery seal. Or, is it the oleophobic coating coming away? You say it is getting worse... how?

If it is defective and either of those I've mentioned are defects. Regardless, you need to seek support from Apple. In the past 've had several defective units in a row from Apple. They eventually saw me right, and made good.

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
It looks like the glass panel is not flush with the rubbery seal. Or, is it the oleophobic coating coming away? You say it is getting worse... how?

If it is defective and either of those I've mentioned are defects. Regardless, you need to seek support from Apple. In the past 've had several defective units in a row from Apple. They eventually saw me right, and made good.
I have your same exact doubt: I cannot thell wich of the two is the problem. It is gettting worse because it is starting to appear also elswere (see for example above "Bookmark").

Thanks!

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
You'll be fine. You'll hopefully reply using a new machine.
I have a MBP 14" w/ a (customized) US Keyboard, but I live in Italy. For this reason, it will probably take longer: I just hope they will let me keep the MBP whilst waiting for an eventual replacement. Or, if they decide to go for a repair, that it'll be quick.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
There is something wrong happening close to the top-left screen bezel. The defect is getting worse as time goes by. See the picture attached.

Did anyone experience something similar? The MacBook is three months old. I have already asked for a replacement before (because of a defective keycap), and I feel pretty annoyed to ask for another.

View attachment 1967710
I had this issue out of the box with my MBP 13 M1 last year. Mine was on the right side. The glass appeared to have not been cut properly. It was jagged basically.

Reactions: Reggaenald

MBP14_Returner_2022

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2022

Did anyone experience something similar? The MacBook is three months old. I have already asked for a replacement before (because of a defective keycap), and I feel pretty annoyed to ask for another

View attachment 1967710
I have the same problem, maybe I just got your Macbook.
A7902284-22C1-44A7-B134-A89D48A5C5D6.jpeg

Paul1980

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2020
United Kingdom
I had the same on my 14. Mine rubbed off with a very lightly damp microfibre cloth. Get the cloth right in the crease between the rubber and the screen and gently rub. Worked for mine anyway

Reactions: Reggaenald

massimiliano_mr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
I had the same on my 14. Mine rubbed off with a very lightly damp microfibre cloth. Get the cloth right in the crease between the rubber and the screen and gently rub. Worked for mine anyway
I tried to wipe it away, but nothing seems to work. The space between the rubber and the screen is extremely thin thoguh: it is not esay to clean in there.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Oddly enough, I took a look at mine and I have some anomalies too. But not as jagged as the pictures above. Mine look like manufacturing marks. One is on the left of the screen in the same place as OP, but you have to look for it with a bright light. The other is above the battery percentage. It's not the coating for sure, it is beneath the glass almost and in the very small gap between the rubber and the glass. And this is an MBP 16.

Attachments

• IMG_0886.JPG
    IMG_0886.JPG
    433.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Lucky you. I am not very happy that someone will open my MacBook when it's basically 3 months old..
Yes, I agree. Sadly, I have always had issues with Apple Store repairs. So I understand your frustration. It is why I am hesitant to do anything about mine... Although, I am going into store to have a look at their display models to see if this is a widespread issue and if so, then a repair or replacement will be luck of the draw. And potentially a rabbit hole you don't want to fall into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.