Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrikh

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
No, I definitely cannot hear the fans below ~2600 rpm. 2000 is like total silence, even in a very-very silent room.

That's definitely interesting, maybe indicating that something is wrong with my machine...

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
That's definitely interesting, maybe indicating that something is wrong with my machine...

Without comparison or recording it's truly hard to say. I certainly find it near silent, but I do notice difference if it's turned off in a truly quiet environment, but I do t find it at all distracting on minimum. But I have heard of some having loud fans till replacement unit, so it is certainly possible to either be fault or over sensitive hearing.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
you can hear the fans even at 2000rpm if you listen where the warm air is blown away, where the base and display collide
You have 2 "holes" left one and right one...
So if you hear the fans in a total quiet room is ok, but depends how load is that sound, but for example even in a quiet room you should not be able to hear the fans at idle from 3 feet away

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
you can hear the fans even at 2000rpm if you listen where the warm air is blown away, where the base and display collide
You have 2 "holes" left one and right one...
So if you hear the fans in a total quit room is ok, but depends how load is that sound
aren't those the sucking holes

henrikh

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
If I listen where the warm air is blown away I can clearly hear the fans, the left one more than the right, and different kind of noise actually. I can also feel the air coming out clearly.

But the problem is that even at normal working distance, like 50-60 cm from the display, I can hear the fan noise in a relatively silent room.

I asked a friend to listen at his (older) MacBook Pro 15" fans running 2000 rpm, but he couldn't hear them from normal working distance, it was even hard to hear them when listening close to the computer according to him...

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I have a few of these and none have an audible sound when doing basic office tasks. It's not until you push them that the fans spin up to a higher speed and make noise. At idle you should only hear the fans if you press your ear against the case. You need to stop contemplating if there is a problem and just go get it fixed.

henrikh

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
I have a few of these and none have an audible sound when doing basic office tasks. It's not until you push them that the fans spin up to a higher speed and make noise. At idle you should only hear the fans if you press your ear against the case. You need to stop contemplating if there is a problem and just go get it fixed.

That seems promising, thank you for this information! I will get the computer replaced, and let you all know if there clearly was a problem with the first one or if I became highly noise sensitive all of a sudden :)

henrikh

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
It seems I am highly noise sensitive after all :/...

I got the computer replaced with a brand new one, and the new one has a bit "clearer" noise from the left fan than the first one. I took the first one to an Apple technician and he could also hear that there was a very small but audible noise from the fan, a noise that shouldn't be there.

With that said, even with this new one, the fans are definitely audible to me at normal working distance, like a low windy background noise. Maybe I have become very noise sensitive, but it feels strange, since I haven't had this problem with my MacBook Pro 15 Retina 2012...

So now I have to decide if I should keep this and try not to think about the noise or replace it with a 13" model. I really like the 15" screen, so it is definitely a hard decision.

henrikh

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
13" is more silent, as it runs passively when not under load

Yes exactly, didn't know that difference when ordering the 15". The problem is that now I got really used to the fantastic 15" display...

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Yes exactly, didn't know that difference when ordering the 15". The problem is that now I got really used to the fantastic 15" display...
external screen?

fwiw i prefer the screen of the 13", seems to be more consistently built than the 15" (backlight bleed and uniformity)

henrikh

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
external screen?

fwiw i prefer the screen of the 13", seems to be more consistently built than the 15" (backlight bleed and uniformity)

I rather like being able to work on different places with a bit bigger display, so the 15" is quite fitting for this need. But would definitely like to have an external Apple retina display, if they make it happen.

I have made an interesting observation regarding the fan noise. It is considerably more audible when using the computer directly on my desk, compare to using it on my Griffin Stand with external keyboard and mouse. It seems the windy noise gets more distinct when the air is coming out directly "on" the desk, compared to just out in the air. I can still hear the fans on my Griffin stand, but much less distinct...

henrikh

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
I run across this tread about cold whine, I wasn't really familiar with the term but my machine definitely has it when doing the Blackmagic disk speed test...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2018-mbp-15-coil-whine.2128494/page-14

I understand there shouldn't be any correlation between this and the fan noise I am hearing, but I think it is strange how some experience the cold whine and some do not. At the same time, some say they can't hear the 15" fans at all while not under load, but some, like me, experience a constant noise from normal working distance...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.