Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manymax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2024
Hello everyone
I have a Mac Pro 5.1 with Big Sur and Monterey installed. The problem is that with the Monterey the Wi-Fi doesn't work. I've already installed the OCLP app and also the Post Install Root Patc, but it still doesn't work. The problem is that before the BT worked fine , but after re-installing the Post Install Root Patc again the BT has stopped working too. I have this Wi-Fi card
AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8E)
Firmware version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.102.31)
My question is this. Can I use the Wi-Fi card from a 2013 MacBook Pro that I have for parts around the house. Would it be possible to change the MacPro WI-FI card with the card of this MacBook Pro? Is this Wi-Fi card compatible with this model of MacPro? I think I've seen some people have success doing this. I want to do this because I think the MacBook Pro Wi-fi card is newer as a model and can work better with operating systems like Monterey.
I would be grateful for your advice
Best regards

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Can I use the Wi-Fi card from a 2013 MacBook Pro that I have for parts around the house. Would it be possible to change the MacPro WI-FI card with the card of this MacBook Pro? Is this Wi-Fi card compatible with this model of MacPro?

Form the start, the early-MBP 2013 cards are not much better than the original MacPro5,1 one, also are 802.11n. The main issue are the different antennas connector size (Mac Pro have IPX/U-FL.1 antennas while the MacBookPro have IPX/U-FL.4), antennas won't fit. There is a cable that adapts one to the other but it's extremely fiddly to mount it without damaging anything:

You'll need a card from a 2014 to 2017 iMac or from the late-2013 Mac Pro and you also gonna need an adapter to convert it to the MacPro5,1 AirPort Extreme socket.

This is the reference thread for MacPro5,1 AirPort upgrades:

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

manymax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2024
Ok thanks,
I guess this kit can work too. And it looks like it can be easily mounted on the MacPro

Last edited:

eastvantrading

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
From my understanding, the typical upgrade is to use a kit with a 4 antenna BCM94360CD card with an adapter. I happen to have a BCM94360CS2 card taken from a MacBook. It only has 2 antenna outputs but supports Wifi and BT. Can I use it with a similar adapter? I am willing to accept weaker coverage.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Antenna connectors are different, you gonna need an adapter. Read here:

Reactions: eastvantrading

eastvantrading

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Thanks for your reply. I should have specified - it's from a 2015 Macbook air, so possibly a little newer than the one referenced in the linked post. I'll check the fit of the antenna connectors - I believe they are tiny on the BCM94360CS2, but aside from this, do you know if it should work with Monterey?

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
the typical upgrade is to use a kit with a 4 antenna BCM94360CD card with an adapter.

This would be the desirable one, it's what I have in my two 5,1 machines and you get all the modern convenience features.

Note that the bluetooth strength with the internal antenna at the back of the Mac Pro is not always the greatest. If you are close to the machine it's not a problem but from further away it is marginal. Typical case using Zwift with the Zwift Play controllers which will drop out randomly.

Be very careful connecting the antenna extension wires as well, the little connectors on them are very fragile - use a tweezer to connect them.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.