Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edenorchestra

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have it, so you really think its mechanical as opposed to an impulse coming through the speakers. I agree with Nemozini on the symptoms. Sometimes its pretty loud, other times say opening the computer from clam shell its subdued. And the "move too frequently" comment seems to be spot on.

Skulcar

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2017
Hi!

I have the same problem here. Got a new Macbook Pro 15" 2016, max specs, no bootcamp used and pop sound coming from the speakers (?) from time to time. To be precise, I feel like the "sound" is coming from the top central part of the body, like right under the centre of the touch bar. Maybe it's just my impression, can't say.

Here's a video I recorded close to the screen:

I spoke with a Genius last week and he had no idea about this issue. So we did a few tests and we ran the Apple Diagnostics, but the system was ok. He suggested me to format the hard drive and reinstall Mac Os Sierra and all the software from the scratch. And so I did, but it didn't solve the problem.

Also, I've noticed the pop sound in recovery mode and during the boot.
So I'd definitely say this is not a software problem.

Last edited:

grahamtaustin

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2017
Going to the Apple store for this problem tomorrow. Agree that this is an issue with the screen hinge and the heat causing expansion and contraction during normal use. Bottom line is that a laptop over 3k shouldn't be plagued with what seems like basic design flaws. Did this stuff not get tested before being sold to the general public. My big fear is that this is a design flaw inherent in every 2016 MacBook Pro. For the record, mine is a 15" with touchbar.

mythdemon

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
San Diego, California
I think I am seeing this issue as well. The pop happens randomly for me. I am inclined to agree with folks saying that it is coming from near the hinge. Could definitely be a heating/expansion hardware issue. Not sure if it's worth returning the laptop though. I'll most probably keep it.

I remember the Apple Store employee telling me to get the hinge loosened a bit if I thought it was too tight. Apparently a lot of people get that done. Not sure if that would help with the sound.

Macaman

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2014
I have this problem aswell and its kinda annoying, whenever I start using the dGPU the hinges starts to pop every now and then, it can be quite annoying as the popping sound tend to be loud.... I have the 15 inch MBP with touchbar and it seems to me that this is a common issue on this model. Kinda sad:(

djon41

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
For what it's worth, I had this issue very consistently since I bought my 15" MBP. I recently had to have the logic board and screen replaced for unrelated issues, and the popping issue is now gone with the new screen. The new hinge does seem slightly looser than before, so it may be related to hinge tightening.

Reactions: Nemozini

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
For what it's worth, I had this issue very consistently since I bought my 15" MBP. I recently had to have the logic board and screen replaced for unrelated issues, and the popping issue is now gone with the new screen. The new hinge does seem slightly looser than before, so it may be related to hinge tightening.

I had this same issue with my 15" 2012 rMBP, also, I am having it on my current 15" 2016 MacBook Pro. I too had the screen and logic board replaced on the 2012, but the popping eventually came back within a few weeks. I am not having screen issues on the 2016, so I am a little apprehensive to take it in due to the sound. How long ago was your screen and logic board replace?

Nemozini

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2017
I had this same issue with my 15" 2012 rMBP, also, I am having it on my current 15" 2016 MacBook Pro. I too had the screen and logic board replaced on the 2012, but the popping eventually came back within a few weeks. I am not having screen issues on the 2016, so I am a little apprehensive to take it in due to the sound. How long ago was your screen and logic board replace?

Mine for example still didn't go for repairs yet. The sound started appearing around 2 weeks after usuage. I know this is not exactly what you asked but thought it might help.

djon41

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007

It's now been about a week since I got it back from repair. No signs of popping yet, but I'm of course keeping an eye on it.

grahamtaustin

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2017
It's now been about a week since I got it back from repair. No signs of popping yet, but I'm of course keeping an eye on it.

Can you tell me what exactly they repaired when you took the computer in? My laptop was taken yesterday at the store and they said they would run more extensive tests and repair / replace if they found anything. I want to make sure I pick up a fixed laptop and am curious what others with this issue had done to their computers during repair. Thanks!

Reactions: Nemozini

djon41

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Can you tell me what exactly they repaired when you took the computer in? My laptop was taken yesterday at the store and they said they would run more extensive tests and repair / replace if they found anything. I want to make sure I pick up a fixed laptop and am curious what others with this issue had done to their computers during repair. Thanks!

Sure. Though just to be clear, I had it repaired for something other than the popping sound, and in fact did not even mention that to them.

It started with the left side ports becoming finicky and ceasing to work when under load, which would disconnect my external monitor when working. I also noticed that somehow something had actually gotten under my screen (still don't know what it was...a bug maybe). I took it in for the ports and showed them the screen at the Apple Store, they sent it off to the repair center. When I got it back, they stated everything that was done, which for me was a complete logic board replacement as well as a complete screen assembly replacement (I also somehow got a 1TB SSD with the new logic board, while my original was the 512GB, so that was a nice surprise.)

Nemozini

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2017
Just heard a loader than average pop sound while it was charging and the lid is closed all by itself sitting on a table.

30 minutes ago the macbook was at 30% charge and warm because I had a video game running on it. I decided to close it and plug it in to charge.

Now the casing feels cold. I tried to open the lid slightly ..and another clack/pop sound while opening the lid from a fully closed position. Generally, I noticed closing/opening the lid inbetween use doesn't produce the sound. The sound usually appears after it stays off for a while.

grahamtaustin

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2017
Just got my computer back from the apple store. They say they replaced the entire top case but the computer is still making the popping sounds as of tonight. Going to call tomorrow but very very unhappy.

warki

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Are there any news to this topic/thread?

I have a 2015 MBP 15" and just realized a few days ago I have the same exakt problem. Every time I boot the MBP it will at least pop once. Haven't done any high usage tests on the CPU yet to increase heat.

Is this also happening on the 2017 model?

--ld--

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2016
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.