Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keepsec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
I returned the one I had and a few days ago and picked up a 512 model at Best Buy taking advantage of their $300 off sale, which was a bigger discount compared to our apple business discount. No coil whine what so ever!
Same specs then the first one? I9 or I7?

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Same specs then the first one? I9 or I7?

Yes same exact model. 2.3 8 core i9, 16gb, 512gb. The standard $2799 model (although $300 off). Unit from the Apple Store, the ssd was so loud I could hear it from FEET away in a quiet room. Best Buy model silent! Obviously, the store makes no difference. Just luck of the draw. I figured it was highly unlikely the units came from the same batch considering all the manufacturing and distribution possibilities.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I went through a couple of 2016 15” MacBook Pros and they all had coil wine. I recently had to get my logic board replaced and the replacement has it as well, even worse actually..

There is a thread on this issue.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I just unboxed my new Macbook Pro 2019 15" i9 2.3Ghz, 560X, 16GB ram, 512GB SSD. As soon as the device accessed the disc I noticed the coil whine. It mostly sounds like scratching and high pitched whining. I've searched through this forum and found a thread on 2018 models with this issue, but nobody has posted anything about coil whine in 2019 models.

Has anybody experienced this? Has this already been resolved or is it common in 2019 models? Should I try getting a replacement or is this prevalent in all new Macbook Pro?
I have nearly the same spec'd 2019 MBPr15, with zero coil whine.
As mentioned earlier, return it to the Apple Store and get another one.

For some reason, I am very sensitive to coil whine. I can hear every TV power up the capacitors before it actually turns on for example. But I do not hear any coil whine in this MBPr15. As an aside, I did not hear it in any of the previous MBPr15 I have owned ( ...Mid2015, 2016, 2017 ).

keepsec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
I have nearly the same spec'd 2019 MBPr15, with zero coil whine.
As mentioned earlier, return it to the Apple Store and get another one.

For some reason, I am very sensitive to coil whine. I can hear every TV power up the capacitors before it actually turns on for example. But I do not hear any coil whine in this MBPr15. As an aside, I did not hear it in any of the previous MBPr15 I have owned ( ...Mid2015, 2016, 2017 ).

The big problem is that I can get another replacement (this is my 4.) from the exact same store or a refund but just in form of a gift card because it was a replacement for my 2016 MBP which was unfixable. I need a machine for work so I think I will have to live with it. They can't hear it in the store which is another problem for a fix outside the 14 days return.

When I hear that some machines don't have that noise I get frustrated.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Before you replace try going to a quieter Best Buy or Apple store, reboot the computer (or something HDD intensive) and put your ear really close to the bottle middle of the computer.

This has been going on for many years, it’s a bit of a hit or miss as to how loud it is. It may be so faint you literally need to put your ear up stuck to the bottom cover or it may be so loud you can hear a few feet away in a quiet room.

The key here is quiet room. Hardly any store is quiet enough to hear this unless it’s insanely loud.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
There is the noise from cpu and the noise made from the toshiba SSD under full load...the ssd will always make a tiny noise..all mbp since 2018 have toshiba...the cpu noise, not all have that noise
So you had 4 mbp with noise...that noise was when you use the ssd or you hear even under idle when ssd is not doing anything?

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I seem to have coil whine in my 2019 Entry Pro 128GB model but for far I've noticed it only when I have external Samsung T5 USB-C SSD connected and when I'm running Blackmagic speed test and in that test only during read test, write test is practically silent. Also I did not notice any sounds when I was benchmarking MBP internal SSD, only with external. I Also tested traditional spinning external USB HDD and no noise was heard with it, so obviously when USB-C in transferring a lot of data, it occurs.

Anyone else noticed that same with their 2019 entry Pro?

I already mentioned about this in another thread but at the time I was not sure was that noise I was experiencing with was, so I thought this thread is more appropriate for this issue.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
OK, no skin off my back. All I can say is my MBP was dead silent. I'm not about to argue about it over the internet
If you capture a video during geekbench with close to keyboard, i can proove that you have coil whine...

matiasmatias

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2021
Hi guys, I´m just getting as crazy as you can get. Can someone confirm if this issue is coil whine? It just an unbelievable weird sound. My mbp works perfect but this sound just keeps coming and going and coming and going.

I just can live with it anymoe and it is SUPER weird !! never heard an issue like this.

Please some help, I getting really depressed because it is impossible to describe.

matiasmatias

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2021
HI guys !!!! Could anyone confirm if you believe this is a coil whine issue? Is just the weirdest sound I´ve ever hear in a mac. I´m totally lost please any help?¿?

Any idea? I´m getting so So depressed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.