Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Sometimes, I hate being right - the dmg is "useless":

View attachment 2409263

I’m sort of still working on this question, though I had to put it aside last day as other tasks in life came up. (The attached, but not inline images are from that effort and an incomplete write-up as I work through the steps.)

I may be misreading the context, but I believe the needed, 5.8GB InstallESD.dmg being looked for is in there (and why the total download itself is something like 6.2GB), but Apple seem to have nested data inside the… resource fork [!].

Have a look at the InstallMacOSX.pkg, but — which is key here — not before copying that over to a temporary directory and slightly renaming it (to distinguish it as not having the original file name).

Next, open that renamed ….pkg in Pacifist. Select not the “(Active) Contents” tab, but the “(Package) Resources” tab.

In there is InstallESG.dmg. Drag that to a directory or the Desktop.

Work from there.

1724615442559.png

Attachments

• 1724535188645.png
    1724535188645.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 1724535427300.png
    1724535427300.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 1724535451059.png
    1724535451059.png
    57 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Amethyst1

panchoskywalker

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2014
chile

Hello, I am trying to do the same on a mb pro 2009 with el capitan. I need a fresh installation so I am trying to build a bootable USB from a the dmg I downloaded from apple website. Is there a way to do it?

I've been trying to replicate what you show here with no success.

I get the pkg file from the dmg and its weight on my desk is 6,2Gb but when I extract it in Pacifist, this is what I get.

ps: I am working in spanish.

Captura de Pantalla 2024-08-26 a la(s) 11.50.41.jpg

Hello, I am trying to do the same on a mb pro 2009 with el capitan. I need a fresh installation so I am trying to build a bootable USB from a the dmg I downloaded from apple website. Is there a way to do it?

I've been trying to replicate what you show here with no success.

I get the pkg file from the dmg and its weight on my desk is 6,2Gb but when I extract it in Pacifist, this is what I get.

ps: I am working in spanish.

View attachment 2409529

Claro. No worries!

Click the Recursos del paquete tab to reveal where InstallESD.app is hidden:

1724715388135.png

Drag InstallESD.app from Pacifist onto the Desktop (or a directory where InstallMacOSX.pkg is not located) to copy it and to make it accessible.

Last edited:

panchoskywalker

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2014
chile
Claro. No worries!

Click the Recursos del paquete tab to reveal where InstallESB.app is hidden:

View attachment 2409687

Drag InstallESB.app from Pacifist onto the Desktop (or a directory where InstallMacOSX.pkg is not located) to copy it and to make it accessible.

Man, I was so close....I found and old installESD lion in an old HD and made a bootable USB from it, then I upgraded to el capitan.

Lesson learned. Muchas gracias.

Reactions: B S Magnet

simpatico666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2024
I’m replying to you from a late 2011 MBP running a dosdude1-patched Mojave. With Macs Fans Controller configured, I have a system which, only under heavy use, gets just “warm”.

At the moment, here are my system’s readings:

View attachment 2408929

And my Macs Fan Controller setting:

View attachment 2408930

This same Mac, previously, ran High Sierra natively before that upgrade, and it performed comparably as Mojave insofar as heat and battery use.

I would offer to try adding Macs Fan Controller to your mix if you haven’t already. Cheers.

Here is my Macs Fan Controller temp on El Capitan.
MacsFansControl OSX10.11.6 - idle.png

(Plaftorm Controler Hub has highest temp, which is weird)

I'm also using App Tamer and Turbo Boost Switcher apps to keep CPU under control.

I will try to upgrade to dosdude1-patched Mojave, but I have few questions:

-If you have disabled dGPU, does sleep mode, brightness control, and keyboard light still works in Mojave?

- Does dosdude Mojave patch have any cons/drawbacks compared to previous OSX?

Here is my Macs Fan Controller temp on El Capitan.
View attachment 2410141
(Plaftorm Controler Hub has highest temp, which is weird)

I still haven’t fully set up the early 2011 A1286 I picked up a couple of weekends ago, so I don’t know offhand whether a PCH die on these run warmer than other sensors. I do know the heat sink for the PCH isn’t a sink so much as a metal plate, separate from the heat sink bracket with the ducting pipes.

Most of my unibody Mac use over the last dozen years has been entirely on 13-inch A1278 models. It tends to run cooler on my setup. (Bear in mind I also freshly replaced thermal paste on everything earlier this year).

1724870115171.png

I'm also using App Tamer and Turbo Boost Switcher apps to keep CPU under control.

Turbo Boost Switcher is fantastic. I’ve relied on it since the early/mid 2010s with my early 2011 (and later, late 2011) A1278.

I will try to upgrade to dosdude1-patched Mojave, but I have few questions:

-If you have disabled dGPU, does sleep mode, brightness control, and keyboard light still works in Mojave?

I can’t answer that yet, since I still haven’t set up the dGPU workaround plan for this A1286 I’ve yet to fully put into use. (Specifically, I’m waiting on a functional battery to arrive.)

- Does dosdude Mojave patch have any cons/drawbacks compared to previous OSX?

In my experience, which has been entirely on a late 2011 13-inch MBP, I have not really seen any which made me regret moving from High Sierra. I did have to do some back-end workarounds for things like giving QuickTime 7 security access to the camera and mic, but for the most part, the main difference I’ve come across is the dark mode UI/UX is more fully implemented than the advance/experimental features buried in High Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.