Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janiwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
UK
Hi there,

I have a macbook pro early 2015 13" retina. After 325 battery cycle the battery completely down. I mean I can't use without a charger. Happened just after I woke up. The "funny" thing is the warranty has expired 4 months ago, I bought this mac as a new one at last year february. Anyone had a similar issue before? After 325 cylce during 1.4 year the battery gone? Before I had a 2014 early macbook air and I can say that air have a much much better battery ( even right now working perfectly )
I had a chat with the apple cust.service and yep if I want to change the battery I have to pay for it.
This is a very very poor thing from apple. £120-£150? REALLY?
[doublepost=1528408588][/doublepost]I forget to mention few months ago the LCD has been changed by official service as I wanted to change it until the warranty not expire because that typical LCD coating problem started to appear a bit. But this battery problem more than enough :(

janiwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
UK
You can change the battery yourself with patience and the right tools.

Apple charges a lot because they replace the top case at the same time afaik.
I was thinking about the same thing, but I am not sure if I buy a battery for it, is it original or not. To be honest I never read about deeply where should I buy a battery I only know there are many fake ones on online.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Re: battery replacement...

Your alternative is a 2018 Retina Macbook Pro 13" replacement.

I know what'd I'd be doing, going to the 2017/current 2018 model is a downgrade.

janiwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
UK
Re: battery replacement...

Your alternative is a 2018 Retina Macbook Pro 13" replacement.

I know what'd I'd be doing, going to the 2017/current 2018 model is a downgrade.
The reason was I bought 2015 pro only last year because when I saw the new designs from apple, I said ok, last chance for buy an apple laptop :D Im an old fashioned styled ( megasafe, no USB-C and so on ) :D
I think I will have a look for a good battery deal and as I'm a technician the replacement wont be a problem, just have to find a not crappy chinese battery.

Reactions: throAU

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Strange, I bought my Early 2015 13 inch MacBook Pro in November 2015 and the battery life is as good as ever. Then again, I keep it plugged in a lot and only use it on battery if I have to.

Reactions: janiwind

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was thinking about the same thing, but I am not sure if I buy a battery for it, is it original or not. To be honest I never read about deeply where should I buy a battery I only know there are many fake ones on online.
Yes, there are many third party batteries but some can be almost as good as the original and cheaper. I have used third party batteries for a 2015 and 2013 air and they are quite good and much cheaper.

You cannot buy original apple batteries unless you go to an authorized apple repair centre and they are not allowed to sell it without installing the unit according to a couple of dealers I asked.

If you really want to be safe and you are willing to pay price, have an apple store replace it.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Yes, there are many third party batteries but some can be almost as good as the original and cheaper. I have used third party batteries for a 2015 and 2013 air and they are quite good and much cheaper.

You cannot buy original apple batteries unless you go to an authorized apple repair centre and they are not allowed to sell it without installing the unit according to a couple of dealers I asked.

If you really want to be safe and you are willing to pay price, have an apple store replace it.
Curious to ask, where did you buy your batteries?

janiwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
UK
Strange, I bought my Early 2015 13 inch MacBook Pro in November 2015 and the battery life is as good as ever. Then again, I keep it plugged in a lot and only use it on battery if I have to.
Good for you, I did the same especially the last months and still...
[doublepost=1528433506][/doublepost]

Yes thats the point, thank you! However found the cause. And I think any non original battery ( not the very cheapest ones) will be better than this one. After 1,4 years with 325 cycles. Legend :

Attachments

• 89A2266C-C349-4196-830D-C76DD781E650.jpeg
    89A2266C-C349-4196-830D-C76DD781E650.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 237

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I would take it in to an official Apple store. And show them the picture.

That should not happen with 325 charging cycles, and there may be something going on beyond the battery( bad charger, bad power management circuits, etc). See what they say and make sure you let them know you just want a explanation of the battery swelling, and then you will decide what to do. They may offer you a deal.

Reactions: janiwind

janiwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
UK

That should not happen with 325 charging cycles, and there may be something going on beyond the battery( bad charger, bad power management circuits, etc). See what they say and make sure you let them know you just want a explanation of the battery swelling, and then you will decide what to do. They may offer you a deal.
I recommend removing the battery ASAP. If it starts to leak or is leaking, it may damage system components.

I recommend removing the battery ASAP. If it starts to leak or is leaking, it may damage system components.
I disconnected the battery, tomorrow I will book an appointment and I will see...
[doublepost=1528480567][/doublepost]

Good idea, I hope they can offer something because after 325 cycle really a shame
[doublepost=1528482471][/doublepost]Update: I called the apple customer service and the woman said yes it shouldn’t happen after 325 cycle so she booked me appontment for tomorrow for the nearest apple service (Windsor) and the guys in the service will have a look at it. Then this lady will call me back at monday because she need to know how the things went with the service. She also said these kind of failures usually covered up to 3 years but she can’t promise anything yet. I hope they can manage by free od charge

Reactions: Glmnet1

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Battery is glued down. Removal is of each pack means heating them and slicing through the glue. I would not touch it and get into Apple and start negotiating

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Battery is glued down. Removal is of each pack means heating them and slicing through the glue. I would not touch it and get into Apple and start negotiating
I know the battery is glued down which is why apple replaces the to case during a battery replacement. OP didn't make reference to an appointment with apple when I responded.

janiwind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
UK
They will change the battery free of charge beacuse battery expanded at the first 3 year hurrray! Very good to know because I knew ( and everybody know) there is a battery replacement program but my notebook not in that range as a 2015 model. I checked the serial number on the webpage of course and Im not eligible for it : https://iphone.appleinsider.com/art...-inch-macbook-pro-without-touch-bar-batteries
However in the service they said, yes is free of charge beacause started to expand the first 3 year. Well what I learned, there is a difference between apple customer services. The first woman said in chat, it will cost money to me. When I called apple the other woman said it should be free as very low cycle and something definitely wrong.
Interesting. No more chat with apple, only calls :)

Thank you for everyone the tips and suggestions! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.