Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I'm super disappointed with my M1. I purchased with 512 gb and 16gm ram. My main goal is video editing and some graphic design (nothing super demanding).
Even if my videos are simple from clips, the processor lags while working in IMOVIE. And that's on a clean fresh mac with nothing installed.
I had a replacement and the same thing is happening. I read online some of simila reports. I'm shocked how this might be happening. Now I've started a return and need options for moving forward.
I've a mid 2014 macbook pro and the performance is better on this old one than the M1. But the battery is dying - switches off in ramdom times. Mostly runs on a charger. I need to replace a battery. I didn't consider this as i purchased the M1 and i know i can extend the 2014th life just as much. I know i will need to look into an upgrade pretty soon and the ratio of price to workability.

I'm wondering about the options. There is really not that much options if i need
a laptop
Apple
For movie editing and design

I was thinking about maybe getting some intel based mac bit maybe 2019 or something like that but in Portugal the apple resale or even repair market doesn't look exciting. I'm still new here.
They don't even have an apple store here. Just online.

Any suggestions what else ard considerations in my spot?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I don't think that's normal, so I'd investigate what's happening a bit more before sending it back. There's no way that a 2014 MBP should be better than an M1 at anything. Can you define 'lagging'? Have you looked at Activity Monitor, to see whether anything is using excessive CPU or memory?
What's the source of these clips? Do they use unusual codecs?

meson

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2014
I believe iMovie itself is the limiting factor here. iMovie is designed with the beginner in mind or a person who just wants to clip and splice together a few video segments. I'm pretty sure that it only operates on a single CPU core and cannot take full advantage of your computer's hardware. There are more sophisticated video editing applications that will take full advantage of the resources that your hardware provides.

Edit: It appears that iMovie has been upgraded significantly over the years and is not at as handicapped as I thought. My apologies.

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure that it only operates on a single CPU core and cannot take full advantage of your computer's hardware.
iMovie is running 50 threads, just playing back a very simple movie for me, with a fairly even core spread. Even if it was single-core, an M1 would still be better than a 2014 Intel cpu. Something else is going on.

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I don't think that's normal, so I'd investigate what's happening a bit more before sending it back. There's no way that a 2014 MBP should be better than an M1 at anything. Can you define 'lagging'? Have you looked at Activity Monitor, to see whether anything is using excessive CPU or memory?
What's the source of these clips? Do they use unusual codecs?
As I mean lagging - the process of editing lags when following the timeline. So I would click on a point of a timeline and there is a delay in a response. Basically there is a response delay in the editing process. As I've been frustrated and googled it - it does seem that others have a similar issue. Not only with Imovie but also with Davinci Resolve and Premiere pro. The issue is that it's such a short window to be able to return a mac - plus me not being technical it's too much of a risk to be dabbling with since I had exactly the same issue with the other one they sent me befoe I got this replacement.

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
iMovie is running 50 threads, just playing back a very simple movie for me, with a fairly even core spread. Even if it was single-core, an M1 would still be better than a 2014 Intel cpu. Something else is going on.
Yeah, weird. I just tested a second one after replacement with the same issue. Some folks mention the same problem. I wish that wasn't tru but it is.

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I believe iMovie itself is the limiting factor here. iMovie is designed with the beginner in mind or a person who just wants to clip and splice together a few video segments. I'm pretty sure that it only operates on a single CPU core and cannot take full advantage of your computer's hardware. There are more sophisticated video editing applications that will take full advantage of the resources that your hardware provides.
It doesn't matter if there are better software available. such a machine should handle cutting and gluing a few clips together. I read online that folks using Premiere and Davinci resolve had the same issue with M1 so iMovie is not a problem

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I read online that folks using Premiere and Davinci resolve had the same issue with M1 so iMovie is not a problem
I'd be careful about assuming that all internet reports of similar problems are necessarily the same thing. What does Activity Monitor report when the lagging occurs?
I doubt it's a hardware limitation of the M-series CPU. But it's worth investigating. I'd suggest that buying an Intel Mac (already 3-4 years-old) is not a good investment.

Reactions: jchap

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
As a new Mac purchaser you are entitled to initial support. Consider asking for an Apple representative to look at these problems together with you. This can be done either in person or remotely. You can also ask for an extension of the return deadline until this problem has been discussed and diagnosed, Apple is usually very open about this.

The symptoms you are describing are very unusual, as these laptops should rip though this level of video editing work. There must be something going on. If you want a Mac, these new models are second to none. Like other posters, I cannot recommend a purchase of any older obsolete Intel Mac at this point. If the new Macs don't work for you, the best thing to do is to switch OS.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
What resolution and video format are you working with?

I did 1080p60 projects on my M1 Air and it was delightfully snappy. Couldn’t believe how fast it was for how little battery consumption and heat was involved.

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I'd be careful about assuming that all internet reports of similar problems are necessarily the same thing. What does Activity Monitor report when the lagging occurs?
I doubt it's a hardware limitation of the M-series CPU. But it's worth investigating. I'd suggest that buying an Intel Mac (already 3-4 years-old) is not a good investment.
I'm not so much assuming - I was validating my experiencence - which happened to be the same on 2 machines Macbookpro m1
Like I said I'm not technical - I don't know what I should be looking at a monitor report on a brand new mac? Shouldn't it work like a flash with no weird investigations? That has always been my experience with macs

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
What resolution and video format are you working with?

I did 1080p60 projects on my M1 Air and it was delightfully snappy. Couldn’t believe how fast it was for how little battery consumption and heat was involved.
Mine was just 1080 as well. simple clips recorded with my samsung - I don't know what could be a problem, but I'm don't believe it's right.

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
As a new Mac purchaser you are entitled to initial support. Consider asking for an Apple representative to look at these problems together with you. This can be done either in person or remotely. You can also ask for an extension of the return deadline until this problem has been discussed and diagnosed, Apple is usually very open about this.

The symptoms you are describing are very unusual, as these laptops should rip though this level of video editing work. There must be something going on. If you want a Mac, these new models are second to none. Like other posters, I cannot recommend a purchase of any older obsolete Intel Mac at this point. If the new Macs don't work for you, the best thing to do is to switch OS.
You may be right. I may try just that. I was too consious of the clock ticking and as I can't look into the tech stuff with any level of confidence I am also suspicious of their tech reassurance. Since the same issue happened on the original M1 and then on the replacement - it really made my hair stand, because I can't afford to throw this money away of a dubious equipment. But then what are the options, right?

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Mine was just 1080 as well. simple clips recorded with my samsung - I don't know what could be a problem, but I'm don't believe it's right.

Since the problem occurred with two different machines I would suspect the files themselves, maybe the way they’re encoded by the Samsung. Can you change format settings on the recording device, or find some other 1080p files to test?

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
As others have mentioned. Something is at play here. I do quite complex video editing work and even my M1 Mac Mini performs well. I use Final Cut Pro and Davinci Resolve. No issues. No lag. Even on 18+ hour projects. Yes my projects can go for that many hours for a single video.
Yes, that's fishy, but having had the same laggines on both machine - it's a reflex reaction to drop it like it's hot. I'm very disappointed with the initial problems as all the previous mac were perfect

Reactions: Scarrus

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Since the problem occurred with two different machines I would suspect the files themselves, maybe the way they’re encoded by the Samsung. Can you change format settings on the recording device, or find some other 1080p files to test?
Thanks for a suggestion, but using other clips wouldn't be wise - becasue I'm using my phone to record videos. I'm not planning to replace or upgarade my recording equipment - it's a simple 1080 phone setting 9/16 - nothing fancy. Like I said my 2014 pro rips through this

ProcessorSolderedToMB

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2019
Possibly using very large video files in an unconventional strange format/codec? Does it happen if you test with standard .mov or .mp4 file downloaded off the web? Generally, this type of stuff shouldn't happen.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You may be right. I may try just that. I was too consious of the clock ticking and as I can't look into the tech stuff with any level of confidence I am also suspicious of their tech reassurance. Since the same issue happened on the original M1 and then on the replacement - it really made my hair stand, because I can't afford to throw this money away of a dubious equipment. But then what are the options, right?

This is all very understandable. I would reach out to the support, describe the problem and ask for support + extension of the return deadline. If they don't agree to extend the deadline, well, screw them :) Chances are, since you already had it with a different laptop, that this is something about your specific environment or configuration.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Thanks for a suggestion, but using other clips wouldn't be wise - becasue I'm using my phone to record videos. I'm not planning to replace or upgarade my recording equipment - it's a simple 1080 phone setting 9/16 - nothing fancy. Like I said my 2014 pro rips through this
To help pinpoint the problem you could try converting a few files to another format or using other files just to see if the problem persists. Opening a file in Quicktime and then exporting it as a 1080p H.264 file should give the best case scenario for iMovie to work with. If it still lags then, then there's certainly something wrong.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
The problem may be that 512 GB SSD. Larger-capacity SSDs offer more speed, which can make a difference since the whole system is now unified (RAM, storage, etc.).
My 256 GB air rips through much higher load than what OP mentioned. This looks like a local issue with file format/mismatch in configuration somewhere.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Hi,
I am frustrated with my new MBP M1 - going slow while editing simple 1080 files in iMovie. I tested two machines and both had the same issue. The timeline is not responding to my actions immediately - there's always a bit of a lag. In the first hour or two of work it was ok, but later - it's like gotten tired. I thought this should never happen and online I saw mixed reviews. Some complained of similar issue, other were raving hot about how great it is. But I want to hear it from real folks like you here. not the Youtube heads

I have not many options of what next to do if I completely return the second - defected Mac. I don't want to pay more for a M2 - not an option.
I'm looking to see if any of you experienced / solved this, or maybe you have the same model and it's been working well for you.
I'm wondering if I should give another replacement a chance or something. Don't see another option for a portable apple to upgade to now.
I'm a very lay person, but need my work in video and design be smooth.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Taldric2022

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
Is it possible that the installation is still so new that the OS is doing its disk-based optimization tasks in the background? This could cause the disk to be busy doing background tasks that is slowing down your fore-ground tasks in iMovie. Also, are all your clips stored on the internal disk, or are you reading them from an external source (like an external USB drive)?

Reactions: jchap
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.