Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Have you tried using something other than iMovie? It’s pretty bad in my experience. I use multiple other video editing apps on my m1, (16gb, I assume you have more than 8?) mainly Davinci Resolve and a bit of FCP and Premiere - they all fly.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
What OS are you on? Are you running the latest instalment together with patches?
Maybe you are running an iMovie version created for intel thus running it through Rosetta...

Just thinking here...

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Yep. I edit 1080p movies for my YT channel in iMovie and have no issues. The timeline doesn't redraw while I'm playing a project. That's just about the only thing I don't like. But it's been the same in iMovie since forever.

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Have you tried using something other than iMovie? It’s pretty bad in my experience. I use multiple other video editing apps on my m1, (16gb, I assume you have more than 8?) mainly Davinci Resolve and a bit of FCP and Premiere - they all fly.
hello, no I haven't. I don't have or know how to use another software. Now on such a short trial of equipment it's a bit of a stretch to learn a new editing software and be able to to judge the results. Tough spot.

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Yep. I edit 1080p movies for my YT channel in iMovie and have no issues. The timeline doesn't redraw while I'm playing a project. That's just about the only thing I don't like. But it's been the same in iMovie since forever.
thanks for your response. Me too for YT!
What do you mean the timeline doesn't redraw? is that the same thing I'm describing? The delay in response as I clickl through and track. To me it feels that the playback rolls in preview while the timeline doesn't respond without a lag when I stop, cut, resume etc. What did you mean?

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
This is all very understandable. I would reach out to the support, describe the problem and ask for support + extension of the return deadline. If they don't agree to extend the deadline, well, screw them :) Chances are, since you already had it with a different laptop, that this is something about your specific environment or configuration.
yeah, good thoughts. I'm kinda wanting to give it another chance cos I need a a good laptop 🤔
What do you mean by my specific environment or configuration? Mac is straight from the box - even imovie was preinstalled.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Thanks for a suggestion, but using other clips wouldn't be wise - becasue I'm using my phone to record videos. I'm not planning to replace or upgarade my recording equipment - it's a simple 1080 phone setting 9/16 - nothing fancy. Like I said my 2014 pro rips through this
No one’s telling you to change your phone, people are just asking you what format your phone is recording in.
IE: what is the extension at the end of the file names.
Is it .mov?
MP4?

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
No one’s telling you to change your phone, people are just asking you what format your phone is recording in.
IE: what is the extension at the end of the file names.
Is it .mov?
MP4?
I use samsung recorded mp4 files. From the local drive. Just as I was doing on my older macs

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Is it possible that the installation is still so new that the OS is doing its disk-based optimization tasks in the background? This could cause the disk to be busy doing background tasks that is slowing down your fore-ground tasks in iMovie. Also, are all your clips stored on the internal disk, or are you reading them from an external source (like an external USB drive)?
not sure what you mean by "installation is still so new that the OS is doing its disk-based optimization tasks in the background?" sorry I'm very non-technical - all i want is to use my mbp ;)
I am using just a few gb of clips in 1080 from a local drive. All seems pretty basic as I do the same stuff of my 2014 model

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
What OS are you on? Are you running the latest instalment together with patches?
Maybe you are running an iMovie version created for intel thus running it through Rosetta...

Just thinking here...
This new M1 came with preinstalled ventura and a preinstalled imovie. I literraly just sat down and worked off a fresh mac on some basic stuff. That's why I got a bit freaked out when I couldn't put my finger on what's going on

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I use samsung recorded mp4 files. From the local drive. Just as I was doing on my older macs
Hmmmmm interesting, my suggestion would be to go to the Mac App Store, and make sure iMovie is up-to-date, then go to the system preferences/system settings of your Mac, and make sure that macOS is updated to the latest version.
The M1 MBP shipped with macOS 11.0.1, but the latest version of iMovie requires 11.5.1
The latest update is macOS 13.2.1
I would update everything and see if that fixes the issue.

Reactions: Gogogosia

unclearregency

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2023
Thanks for a suggestion, but using other clips wouldn't be wise - becasue I'm using my phone to record videos.

Others are asking you to try other clips not in an attempt to change your workflow but to help diagnose the problem. It could very well be that there is a bug in Samsung‘s codec or how iMovie handles it, but if this is happening to all videos regardless of format/resolution, we would be looking at very different problems. So using other clips would actually be extremely wise 😀

not sure what you mean by "installation is still so new that the OS is doing its disk-based optimization tasks in the background?" sorry I'm very non-technical - all i want is to use my mbp ;)
I am using just a few gb of clips in 1080 from a local drive. All seems pretty basic as I do the same stuff of my 2014 model

Spotlight indexing is usually not finished on new Macs as it can’t be preconfigured without your personal data actually being on the Mac. This always seems to take a while on new computers so I assume is disk intensive. Hence try checking the other tabs of Activity monitor for any RAM or disk read/write logs.

Last edited:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
hello, no I haven't. I don't have or know how to use another software. Now on such a short trial of equipment it's a bit of a stretch to learn a new editing software and be able to to judge the results. Tough spot.
Perhaps. But you seem to have pretty basic usage, so you hardly need to learn it straight away to test. Download davinci resolve (it’s free) watch a you tube clip on how to use it to do basic iMovie style edits and there you go. The fact of that matter is, is that first of all you will see that the computer is faulty or not, and secondly be on the road to a much more powerful editing system.

Asbow

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2020
This local drive, is it an external SSD or HD?

Reactions: jchap

Chrysalis99

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2021
The Samsung mp4 might be in some odd container or format. Wondering if there is a way to import that video in a different file format or convert to MOV or M4V before importing? Have you looked into that? Like everyone else says, it’s odd. I use FCP and it blows through 1080p video edits and renders very very fast. Call Apple support and see if they can help diagnose the issue.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
thanks for your response. Me too for YT!
What do you mean the timeline doesn't redraw? is that the same thing I'm describing? The delay in response as I clickl through and track. To me it feels that the playback rolls in preview while the timeline doesn't respond without a lag when I stop, cut, resume etc. What did you mean?
I can't describe it another way. iMovie doesn't redraw the timetime while it's playing your project. You just get blue frames where the image previews should be. But that's by design. Press pause or stop and it instantly re-draws. Presumably this is not what you're on about because iMovie has been like this since forever and would have behaved the same on your 2014 laptop.

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Perhaps. But you seem to have pretty basic usage, so you hardly need to learn it straight away to test. Download davinci resolve (it’s free) watch a you tube clip on how to use it to do basic iMovie style edits and there you go. The fact of that matter is, is that first of all you will see that the computer is faulty or not, and secondly be on the road to a much more powerful editing system.
Yes, I might want to look into this davinci. thanks for encouragment

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Yes, I might want to look into this davinci. thanks for encouragment

Personally i find FCPX few times faster then davinci when working on similar footage, although i'd much rather work in davinci FCPX just appears to be more optimised.

Admittedly i never tried iMovie

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
I've been doing editing in FCPX on a 13" M1 2020 till fairly recently and i can't say there was any lag, and it was better than any intel mac i've worked with before.

it should run circles around a 2014 intel mac
The Samsung mp4 might be in some odd container or format. Wondering if there is a way to import that video in a different file format or convert to MOV or M4V before importing? Have you looked into that? Like everyone else says, it’s odd. I use FCP and it blows through 1080p video edits and renders very very fast. Call Apple support and see if they can help diagnose the issue.
do you think i should set up anything - like install any update (system / imovie - i din't do that, just assumed they were up to date) as i do another try?

Gogogosia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2023
Hmmmmm interesting, my suggestion would be to go to the Mac App Store, and make sure iMovie is up-to-date, then go to the system preferences/system settings of your Mac, and make sure that macOS is updated to the latest version.
The M1 MBP shipped with macOS 11.0.1, but the latest version of iMovie requires 11.5.1
The latest update is macOS 13.2.1
I would update everything and see if that fixes the issue.
very helpful suggestion. I completely didn't think of that. Some people here mention some rosetta thing that could be at play - would you suggest anything I should do to hmmm.. eliminate that problem? Clearly I have no idea what I'm saying so hope you can read between the lines?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
very helpful suggestion. I completely didn't think of that. Some people here mention some rosetta thing that could be at play - would you suggest anything I should do to hmmm.. eliminate that problem? Clearly I have no idea what I'm saying so hope you can read between the lines?
Yeah rosetta would definitely impact the performance.

You can check OS version by going to the  symbol top right and clicking "About"

Reactions: Scarrus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.